Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.180.503 to 1.181.3] Dedicated Server won't start game instance after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by WilDaBeast, May 22, 2017.

1. WilDaBeast

Hello,
    I have been running a SEDS on my parents PC for a few months now with no major problems. Then yesterday Windows 10 performed an update, now I cannot get the server to start a game instance it returns a message shown in the image below.

[​IMG]
    The message:
    "Cannot start service Willow in the winds on computer '.'.
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
    fashion"

I have checked the router, port forwarding, and firewall settings all appear to be OK. I also disabled the firewall temporarily to see if that made a difference, it didn't.

The Machine is:
    • HP mini tower
    • i7 3XXX processor
    • 4 Gb RAM
    • Windows 10 Version: 1703 Build:15063.296
    • Space Engineers Version 1.180.503
    I also have a PC at home running SEDS for games on my LAN, it has also updated and is having the same problem.

I would greatly appreciate any help or advice with this problem, thank you.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  2. Stef_SmauG

Hi,

I got the exact same problem on both My PC after the Windows 10 Creator update.
    I tried to start the service from windows service manager and to create a new server instance but I have the same issue every time.

When googling Error 1053 (wich is the one given by service manager) I found a fix consisting in increasing the start timout for services in the registry but it doesn't work neither.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  3. I23I7 Tester Developer

Hey,

There was a report about this issue being related to the W10 update. Could i get a screenshot of the problem as well as your SEdeedicated.log? It should be located in the Space Engineer folder that you can access by pressing %appdata%.

4. MBlazerGuy

I'm having the exact same issue.
    I've never had any problems running Space Engineer on my server, but after the Windows 10 upgrade, it no longer runs.

There is no log file created, because the service never runs to be able to create one.

I'm not sure why the message states it's trying to start the service on computer '.' as I have changed the server to use my own account, so that it runs it when I'm not logged into the system. I've tried using this method, plus running as local, and it doesn't work either way. I do have the program running "As administrator".

[​IMG]

5. I23I7 Tester Developer

As "workaround" for people who updated their OS and only need to run one server, you can still run the 'Console/Local' session.
    If you move your world files from C:\ProgramData\SpaceEngineersDedicated\...\ to %appdata%\SpaceEngineersDedicated\ you'll be able to start your server on the local

6. Iodine

What about for those who want to just play the game? any insight into why the latest windows builds are causing SE to crash on load?

7. leftturney

I am also having this issue after creators update. 4 errors show up in the windows application log after trying to start the service

---Event ID 1001---
    Fault bucket 120764058514, type 4
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.0
    P3: 591ed99b
    P4: sechost.dll
    P5: 10.0.15063.0
    P6: b4c11302
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 000000000000377c
    P9:
    P10:

---Event ID 1001---
    Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    P2: 1.0.0.0
    P3: 591ed99b
    P4: sechost.dll
    P5: 10.0.15063.0
    P6: b4c11302
    P7: c0000005
    P8: 000000000000377c
    P9:
    P10:

---Event ID 1000---
    Faulting application name: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x591ed99b
    Faulting module name: sechost.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0xb4c11302
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000377c
    Faulting process id: 0x1478
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d2d4da4ea90094
    Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\DedicatedServer64\SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\sechost.dll
    Report Id: 32136b5a-0c23-4bcf-a9c7-f17e097dcfc4
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

---Event ID 1026---
    Application: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
    at VRage.Service.NativeMethods.RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerEx(System.String, System.Delegate, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Service.MyServiceBase.ServiceMainCallback(Int32, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Dedicated.DedicatedServer.Run[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String[])
    at SpaceEngineersDedicated.MyProgram.Main(System.String[])

8. I23I7 Tester Developer

W10 update it seems we are not the only game affected right now ;( i already am asking the render team for a fix everyday.

9. Ulfgaar

Hello - found this post through google - so i didnt need to make a new one for myself.

For several months now, i've been hosting SEDS for myself and a bunch of friends - its been all fine and dandy, having no problems and our save is rather rich now. One day however, my server started restarting itself for no reason - so it was sent in for repairs as it was till within the guarantee time of it.

After having my server fixed due to some buggy RAM chips, formatting it and reinstalling windows 10 pro, i've now got the same issue as the original poster. I can start the server file, set all the wanted details for the server - but when i press start, it does not go into "Start Pending" as it used to - but instead, after a few seconds, im getting the error 1053 as well.

Now' i've googled the problem left and right - tried CCleaner registry fix and stuff, but to no avail. I see there is a bunch of different solutions, but many of which im not comfortable testing as it was not spesificly the same as my problem and it involves tampering with some rather sensetive files/settings.

So, does anyone know if there is a fix for this spesific issue conserning Space Engineers dedicated servers?

Does anyone else have this problem anymore?

10. MBlazerGuy

I was only ever able to log in to the server with Remote Desktop Connection, and run the Dedicated Server console directly, then disconnect.
    It was an ugly solution, but it worked.
    Not everyone has this luxury though.

11. Ulfgaar

Not entierly sure how this helps me with the problem. I am also btw, using the remote desctop connection to handle my server, as its my personal server without a screen functioning as our "media hub" in the living room, connected to our TV and Stereo. Powerfull thing, but as said - im also using the remote desctop connection from my gaming computer to handle and set up the dedicated server, but now having this problem with the error 1053 thing.

12. gimmilfactory

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ulfgaar

Looks interesting, but the explenations given is "bit over my head" i think - but as i understood it, you should write:

Code:
    nssm set [servicename] appnoconsole 1
    Now, where to write this - im more unsure of. He said command prompt, so i thought it was the by writing it in the cmd window when running cmd. Im no computer wizz, but i learn fast and can with some explenation probably manage - but i just wish that explenation was explained in a bit more "newbro" friendly terms :p

When running this in administrative CMD, i get this

Code:
    'nssm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    So, seemingly not working for me :/

14. gimmilfactory

Sorry it is a 3rd party service manager I found a while ago.
    https://nssm.cc/
    It is very useful program for those who do not wish to mess around with or know how to edit the registry.
    Traditionally, you can set "AppNoConsole=1" in the registry. For those who are not aware of or comfortable with doing it, this program lets you do it easily from a comfortable UI.

15. leftturney

I'm still seeing the same issue. Reposted below. My workaround has been to run it at startup of the machine like below

1. Open a text editor like notepad, paste in the following and change it to fit your directories / drives
    d:
    cd\
    cd Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\DedicatedServer64\
    start SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe -console
    2. Save as a .bat file type
    3. Copy it to %programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

That will start it in a console window. It is the best... only solution I could come up with.

FYI, my machine is also headless, running RDP to manage it, however I have tried this on multiple computers in my house and all get the same error. All are post creator's update. Never had this problem until then.
    Server this is running on is a Xeon 1276v3 with 16GB RAM if it matters.

Reposting of error:

Application: SpaceEngineersDedicated.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
    at VRage.Service.NativeMethods.RegisterServiceCtrlHandlerEx(System.String, System.Delegate, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Service.MyServiceBase.ServiceMainCallback(Int32, IntPtr)
    at VRage.Dedicated.DedicatedServer.Run[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]](System.String[])
    at SpaceEngineersDedicated.MyProgram.Main(System.String[])

16. Ulfgaar

Gaaaawd - hoping Microsoft will come with a sodding fix for this - or Keen if its something in tandem with their files.

Cannot believe this...

• Like Like x 1
  17. I23I7 Tester Developer

Yes the issue seems to have a work around where running in a console screens makes it work. We know about but are not looking into it. It will get some attention once the optimizations of MP are 100% done.