Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Important [1.181.0] Physical Limits

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Alewx, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Alewx

So I made my ship, big grid, big ship, looooots of blocks, and the version before It crashed once I placed one more block.
    Now I get a message "Cannot comply. Grid reached Physical Limits."

Here is the thing, the savegame has disabled the gridlimits, so what is going on there????
    My machine should be able to handle the sutff quite a bit more than what there is right now.

Help me someone.

2. Ronin1973

Check both the large and small sandbox.sbc files for your game save. Find the block limits section and see if they are actually on. It may be that the GUI is telling you one thing while the game is set up for another.

3. Alewx

checked:
    sandbox.sbc
    sandbox_0_0_0_.sbs

the first one contains:
    <EnableBlockLimits>false</EnableBlockLimits>

The second one does not even Show a sign ot the string "Limit"

4. Arcturus

There is a new hardcoded limit. You are seeing the text for it.

In Sandbox.Game.Entities.MyCubeGrid.BuildBlocks() there is this:
    Code:
    			if (this.ShapeCount >= 45874)
    			{
    				MyGuiAudio.PlaySound(MyGuiSounds.HudUnable);
    				MyHud.Notifications.Add(MyNotificationSingletons.GridReachedPhysicalLimit);
    				return;
    			}

ShapeCount is taken from a weird Havok concept in HkGridShape. I don't understand it, it might not correspond to the number of blocks, but perhaps the chaos/order/entropy.

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Alewx

Thanks man and ouh, that is annoying.

6. Brewtis

HOW IS THIS ACCEPTABLE! this renders every single ship I've been working on minus 1 completely useless with no warning or mention. All of these ships are now permanently unfinished?! hundreds of hours of game time and now these ships are unacceptable to Keen's standards and regardless of my opinion all and any work on them are to halt as of this patch. What the hell is the point of the server side map setting to limit or not limit. Now Keen is deciding for me. Man if I didn't have 800 hours into this game I'd be asking for a refund. The game I've been playing for over 3 years involved massive large ships. Patch 1.181 is not what I paid for or have been playing all these years. My computer can handle these ships. I don't care if your dedicated servers can't. I don't take them there. Give me my freedom back

I get that this was a major update so expect more bugs. I can only pray this is a bug but it sure doesn't look like it from the line of code above. I sure hope somewhere above that code there is a string that Isn't working that is supposed to be checking if that map setting is turned on or off. Just tell me its a bug already so I can calm down. Tell me it's a bug!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Brewtis

After more investigation I'm leaning more towards my hope that this is a bug. On one of my saved maps I have one of my more developed ships at about 113,000-ish blocks which I get the error GridReachedPhysicalLimit and right next to it the same ship cut in half right down the middle putting it at 56,000-ish blocks which I can build on with no error. So I decided to find out at what block count the error would start at. I started laying down 1000 block sheets on the 56k block count half ship's side waiting for it to tell me i hit the limit. I got the total block count to 124,000-ish before I decided there was more here then just a hard cap being enforced. Either there is a hard cap but it is loosely being enforced and probably easy to exploit around or the hopefully more likely option that this is a bug and incorrectly preventing existing large grids from having more blocks added to them. That or it is a different block count its using to decide when enough is enough.

8. guran

There must be some other new physical limits. If i try to fly ship with more then 300m/s on a planet it gets completely out of control.

9. sumdumguy

I hope not, havent tried my IDS build im working on since update, as i have a few mods that will need updating 1st. but im over 870k blocks

10. kittle

Highly annoying
    Suggestion: Keen adds a way to tell how far a given grid is from this new hard-coded limit?

11. guran

Suggestion: Remove the limits and make them work. Optimizing the performance of a jammed road is not done by a hardcoded limit of cars driving on it. Better optimize the road, not the traffik.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Commander Rotal

There will be a reckoning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. aether.tech

To add my voice to this discussion.

ALL my builds are now unbuildable. THANKS Keen. Great job FUCKING ME OVER FOR MY MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS of work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Arcturus

It appears to be a physics shape count, not a block count. High greeble/spiky ships will likely hit the limit, whereas a boring armor block cube might be buildable to infinite size. My theory is untested.

My guess is that this new limit is due to the multithreaded physics. Perhaps single threaded physics could handle higher shape counts, so it never was an issue before? Would be interesting to hear a response from KSH.

• Like Like x 1
  15. aether.tech

not only that, lag when placing blocks is back.

great job keen, great fucking job.

16. JTConsortium

I'll see your greeble and raise you 3 nurnies.

• Like Like x 1
  17. aether.tech

I see your greebles, and nurnies and raise you one deck space full of greenstuff.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stardriver907

Yay! All my ships are safe!

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. shanjoo

I can't work on any of my big ship build anymore cause of this. I've been trying for the last four years to make a 1:1 functioning replica of the Galaxy class Enterprise. Having to return to earlier saves due to file corruption and sometimes even starting over from scratch. And now this happens. I really hope keen fixes this pronto. I want to be able to finally finish my build.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Wildcard

I must jump on the band wagon here, first i'm a new player installed for about 3 weeks and I'm in love with the concept of this game :woot:.

This last patch broke a lot of things, so much in fact I'm questioning what QA was done but that's for you guys to sort here's what I'm seeing after the update. Connectors on all my ships are now broken, I can no longer reliably dock small block ships to my mom with connectors or gears attached. (Symptom: after jumping any distance and although everything is green visually and show connected on ctrl panel the ships just do not stay put as if they are not connected at all.) Really annoying that I now have to toggle connectors on/off to verify the smaller ships will stick. Other things, graphical glitches, auto gat turrets barrels are refreshing oddly, leaving a copy in place when moving ship forward and refreshing a new barrel on turret after old disappears. So it appears as if barrels are constantly floating off my ship and staying behind then disappear when redrawn.

I also built a space station going on 200k blocks and i'm not even close to being finished and I can no longer build on it, station is clipping internally on certain parts and I also receive the "physical limit" error. None of these things were broken before the patch.

Also got the infinite spectator mode bug and i never even use the thing, this was fixed after I had reinstalled and blew away old game data, logs etc. I only kept my BPs after the reinstall, other problems listed above are still problems.

...as a suggestion, before the game is all purdy'd up can we get it working first?

tx for listening

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. guran

That's why we all are still here ... somehow :stare:

22. Commander Rotal

It has been a... challenging SE-related mating-season for RotalPerson.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Herpaderpa

Can also confirm, i can no longer work on my giant male-genetalia shaped ship. Please fix keen, the universe needs my ship.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. NetAgentTV

I am also having issues with my ship over 200k blocks, and most of the blocks are clipping/walking through. I get the "physical limit" error when placing blocks. Makes me want to find another game to play.

25. suicideneil

I am also finding this issue on all of my large HomeWorld replica ships; I cannot complete my current one until this issue is resolved or a work-around is found.

It takes the piss when Keen say 'we have thoroughly tested this update but please report any issues you find'- what they mean is 'we spent 5 minutes testing this update before making it live, please do the QA yourself guys, lol'. The number of basic issues that have been reported is mind boggling, stuff that should have been caught during testing, it isn't obscure stuff- not informing the players that they will be making game-breaking changes is just ignorant ( remember the large grid small thruster damage range changing and them not saying anything? I do... ).
    --- Automerge ---
    There is a temporary work around however, and it simply means rolling back to 1.180.

Go to Steam, Library, then right click Space Engineers > Properties > Betas and select 1.180 or an earlier version. You might need to use a back up of whatever you were building though, if you made any changes to it since the update.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  26. aether.tech

Keen ain't Kompetent.

That's been pretty clear since day one when every single patch has managed to bork some easily tested thing in the game. And just outright changing how big builds can get - and totally screwing over people that have been working on big builds for (LONG FUCKING TIME) without any warning in advance or any fucking research into just how many people would be affected by it?

Fucking EA, Keen. DONT BE LIKE THEM.

27. gearheadkinny2

Also having the same issue with my 1:1 scale B5 station, its there but you clip through all the blocks and can't add anything.

28. Akhera Developer Developer

Hello there. Let me clarify what the physical limits thing is. It's not a bug.
    The problem lies in what Alewx said in the OP - once he placed another block on his giant ship, the game crashed. We found out that there is a fundamental limit to the number of physical shapes Havok can handle and if you go over it, it crashes. To prevent crashing, we introduced this new limit that cannot be turned off. Since physics shapes are optimized depending on the actual shape of the grid (blocky ships have fewer shapes than spheres), it is possible for number of shapes to increase even when you remove blocks. That's why we decided to set the limit at 70% of the actual Havok limit, which is why even some ships which were fine before now now cannot have more blocks placed. I'm sorry about this, but there is really nothing we can do about it - it's a limitation of Havok.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  29. Commander Rotal

Set the limit at 99 percent, then, or revert the changes entirely. This is a gamebreaking change. It can not be allowed to exist.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Akhera Developer Developer

If we set it at 99%, then it could easily crash when you're removing blocks. And we can't prevent you from removing. The 70% limit acts as a buffer against that.