Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.181.3 STABLE][MP] Laser Antenna can't connect over 500m

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Shanjaq, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

According to the wiki, the SmallShip Laser Antenna should reach 20km, but when I build 2 SmallShips (with plenty of power onboard and using "connect to coordinates") they refuse to connect above 500m. I also have a normal antenna on both ships, which are at the default range of 500m. If I stay within 500m the lasers will face each other and start working. If I go outside 500m, the laser will keep trying to connect but never establishes a link, and will sever any existing connection. This is on a dedicated server.
    http://www.spaceengineerswiki.com/Laser_Antenna

--- Automerge ---
    Laser Antennas have been conspicuously overlooked by QA for a while. At this point they are so broken I can't even verify that the bug I filed in March 2016 was ever fixed. If they worked as advertised there is much potential with Laser Antennas providing long range backhaul networks for Radio Antenna endpoints. For instance, parking a laser satellite near your base/mothership with its own Radio Antenna connected to your base/mothership's short-range Radio Antenna, and parking another identical satellite out near an asteroid within laser range. The remote laser satellite, via its own Radio Antenna, connects to a small mining ship which you can remotely pilot anywhere around the asteroid within Radio Antenna range, owing to the fact that the laser relay satellite is stationary the entire time. like so:
    [​IMG]

or better illustrated:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. [ATC]Snoman Trainee Engineer

Yeah I'm trying to figure out why I can't connect laser antennae beyond the vicinity of my base. Googling the problem brought me here. Seems like the same problem? Close laser antennae connect fine. Further away and they start to connect, then point back the opposite direction, then settle saying "Connected to ???", and can't see the other grid in the remote access terminal or the other antenna in the known antennae window.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

Ah yes, I see that the antenna rotates toward World Origin (0, 0, 0) while "Connected to ???". Apparently Laser Antennas forgot how to use coordinates.

4. RedK Trainee Engineer

Are LA connecting (beyond 500m) if you not using "connect to coordinates" but, by selecting target from the list?

5. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

--- Automerge ---
    the list is empty on both ends. I have no choice but to "paste coordinates" that were copied from the intended recipient of the connection attempt. I just tried on another server (no mods installed) and got the same result: Laser Antenna rotates to face world origin (0, 0, 0) and says "connecting to ???" and fails, over and over again. I even tried placing my feet inside the recipient and creating a waypoint there then jetpacking over to the other laser telling it to connect there. same result. Lasers simply won't connect to coordinates, probably because they're erroneously aiming at world origin (0, 0, 0) during the connection attempt.

also note that the connection list does contain the other satellite _only_ when they are within each others' Radio Antenna range, but not outside. it appears that the Laser Antennas use a shortcut when connecting to grids they are aware of via Radio Antennas, but this shortcut is not available when they are outside each others' Radio Antenna range so when they fallback to "connect to coordinates" they enter the codepath which contains the bug. I hope KeenSW finds this note helpful.

This is still broken as of Update 01.168
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JuStX2 Apprentice Engineer

just for the record that's 500km not 500m - you are perfectly well out of range. (Vanilla Laser Antenna Range is 50km in general - more for modded lasers)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

Don't answer without reading, it's bad form.. Like I said earlier: "I have no choice but to "paste coordinates" that were copied from the intended recipient of the connection attempt. I just tried on another server (no mods installed) and got the same result: Laser Antenna rotates to face world origin (0, 0, 0) and says "connecting to ???" and fails, over and over again. I even tried placing my feet inside the recipient and creating a waypoint there then jetpacking over to the other laser telling it to connect there. same result. Lasers simply won't connect to coordinates, probably because they're erroneously aiming at world origin (0, 0, 0) during the connection attempt."

To recap, here is my setup: 2 identical smallship satellites each with a Laser Antenna (turned on and idle with plenty of grid power to spare) and 12km apart, roughly aimed at each other. From the control panel on one satellite, I copy the Laser Antenna's coordinates, then jetpack over to the other satellite and paste the coordinates then click "Connect".

Result: the satellite aims at World Origin (0, 0, 0) and repeatedly fails to connect. It does not aim at the other satellite which the coordinates should have specified. I have encountered this on two popular Dedicated Servers which have no mods installed.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. [ATC]Snoman Trainee Engineer

Well reported @Shanjaq. Exactly what I'm seeing as well. Tried on multiple different dedicated servers, with and without mods. Affects modded laser antennas as well.

I thought that the pointing at origin is more likely a symptom, than a cause. I'm guessing the function that's supposed to return the object containing the other antenna, is returning null instead, so it ends up pointing at 0,0,0.

We're also experiencing poor connections on radios and beacons beyond 20km or so, but only seen this on modded so far. Can you confirm @Shanjaq? For both laser and radio, beyond a certain distance, we get only intermittent visibility and connectability via terminal (ie a few seconds every minute or so ).

9. RedK Trainee Engineer

It's not the laser antenna problem.

Ok. did solo DS testings. Found the problem: grids beyond 3200m stop existing. Well not entirely... they go invisible to ingame communication systems, read all antennas. simply, just that.
    Grids are still there, if you fly closer they will appear.
    Here are two screens of same! world, one from single offline, other from ds.
    For example put antenna with max radius, fly away, on ~3200m it will disappear. poof.
    Seems like the new netcode is acting up.
    All work as intended in single, changing view distance have no effect on the problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. [ATC]Snoman Trainee Engineer

Yes, exactly what I was saying! I see them appear briefly every minute or so, then dissappear again.

11. [VB]AWOL Trainee Engineer

Can confirm, also likely to do with the new netcode, seems if a player is not nearby the other laser antenna they loose connection. I was able to spectate a remote satellite and it was connected and accessible via remote access at 19km. As soon as I stopped spectating the satellite I loose the connection from the ground station.

12. Pie Apprentice Engineer

Try sticking a beacon on the grids with the antennas. I can't remember who but one of the mod writers said in another thread that the new server code won't update clients with info on grids more than a few km from the player unless they have a beacon. It may have been Whip as I think I read it on the missiles thread.

13. [ATC]Snoman Trainee Engineer

Yeah it was Whip. I'll have to look in to that. Everything I've been trying to connect to has been built by someone else, so not sure if they have beacons.
    --- Automerge ---
    OK, I've checked that. Placed beacons at both ends of the desired laser link, and it has made absolutely no difference.

14. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

It definitely looks like the problem here is that grids disappear as distance increases. Laser Antennas can connect to endpoints which are directly visible to the player, but if the player leave the area and comes back, the connection is found to be broken until the player approaches the endpoint close enough for it to re-appear. I played with 2 hybrid Laser/Radio satellites spaced 100m apart with radio antennas broadcasting up to 30 meter radius, and the connection was stable enough to verify whether Keen had fixed the bug I filed early last year or not. THE BUG is still active, it's a shame we can't assign it a bug database number, we have no idea how they're tracking these issues if at all :S

15. SuperBaldMan ∞ Trainee Engineer

+1 this bug is driving me crazy

16. hlws Tester Staff

Hi guys,
    Thank you very much for your feedback. The issue has been reported.

• Like Like x 3
  17. commander_gregs Trainee Engineer

I am still experiencing this issue on DS 1.170.005. Laser antenna just says "Connected to ???" without being connected to the grid in question.

18. I23I7 ME Tester

See above the issue was reported. Check the change log for a mention of this being fixed right now the programmer is working out the fix for the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ProTurials Trainee Engineer

I found a solution for this problem.

Since this is a problem only on dedicated servers caused by the distance a grid is drawn, we need to change this distance.
    There is an option in the configuration for dedicated servers called "view distance".
    For me it was set to 15,000.
    Change it to 50,000 so you have the maximum range of antennas.

And thats it. It works now.

20. Roxette Senior Engineer

This is a really terrible solution as the impact on server performance will be severe

• Like Like x 1
  21. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

This is a friendly reminder that the bug is still active in Update 1.181.3
    Frankly it's rather troubling that such an obvious and crippling functional bug has gone on so long without Keen addressing it.

22. Malware Master Engineer

@Shanjaq Hehe. There are far more pressing issues to fix (aka multithreading crashes and other actual show-stopping bugs) than a mere inconvenience bug like this. I'd find it far more troubling if they used their limited resources on this kind of stuff first, rather than the real problems... :) Logically, bugs that are just inconvenience or cosmetic will always get downprioritized. You're gonna have to be patient, they have much bigger fish to fry first...

23. Shanjaq Trainee Engineer

yeah? what does it say about a game where the VERY FIRST FEATURE shown in their startup menu is broken? every time I boot up the game I see that multi-hop laser antenna network and it's like a punch in the gut when I spend the time to test it on dedicated servers year after year only to find it's STILL BROKEN. you can't tell me they've stopped ALL bug-fixing work for several years just to cram the entire dev team onto threading issues.

24. Malware Master Engineer

On the contrary, I'm telling you they're fixing bugs left and right. But they're also optimizing the game, and that's difficult - and causes new bugs. Trust me friend, if they'd priotitized this bug over something else you'd be here complaining about that other bug instead, and that might have been a real game-stopping one ;)

I'm sorry you're not getting your bug fixed, but this is just how it works. The big, real problems first. The annoyances later. Thing is, with a game as big and complicated as this, there will be a lot of bugs. And I'd rather have them fix things that actually stop me from playing the game, I'll just not use the laser antenna. No big deal in comparison.

So, to answer your question? It tells me that these guys don't blindly fix any bug. They pool their limited resources and use it where it counts. To me, that's a good thing. Keen isn't a AAA company with hundreds of programmers. Not even close.

25. Steelhelix Trainee Engineer

This bug also shows up in Single Player and Hosted Multiplayer as Control panel access lag and also Camera Lag. Which is to say that I can connect Large Grid Laser Antennas to each other at all of their range, but while they are connected I will have a sim speed around .5 while using a camera or about .75 while in a control panel. The Sim speed drop will also happen if someone connected to my hosted game enters the control panel or uses a camera.

If needed I can upload a world that exhibits the bug and then will go away once all of the laser antennas have been idled.

Hope this helps
    Steel

26. Malware Master Engineer

@Shanjaq I see now that the way I phrased my posts can be interpreted as belittling. That was not my intention and for this I apologize. I wanted to educate, not irritate.

27. I23I7 ME Tester

I checked he ticket and its still In Progress so there has not been anything released about it yet but the programmer has it assigned.

As soon we have something it will be released.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.