Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.181.500] Modded LCD screens broken by update

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Thrak, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Thrak

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Ondřej Nahálka Tester Developer

Hello Thrak,

thanks for your report. This problem is caused by our changes in emissivity model. We apologize for it.

We will check it out.

Kind regards
    Ondrej Nahalka
    Keen SWH

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. I23I7 Tester Developer

Hey,

The mods seems to have been using some bug with emissivity in the code that we fixed in the recent update. A recommend fix for the mod was added to the comment under each mod respectively.

Thanks for the report agaiN!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Eikester

this doesnt work in my case, i use vanilla assets except one texture which is the blue glow which is a transparentmaterial (its like a pane of glass in front of the screen), transparentmaterial doesnt use _add textures so i cant set the emissivity and ao channels as you suggested

5. Thrak

@Ondřej Nahálka and @I23I7 , thanks for the swift replies. Please be aware, however, that a lot of modded LCDs now exhibit this issue, including ones by @Sektan , @Digi , and others. All of these popular mods are now unusable. I'd submit that this bug with the emissivity was used in almost all of these-- is there no way to fix this on Keen's end? Especially since, as @Eikester notes above, the prescribed fix for modders doesn't work?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725801285&searchtext=transparent+lcd

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403922024&searchtext=computer+monitor

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403922024&searchtext=computer+monitor

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=396080275

Also, on a related note, Digi's very popular Interior Light access mod is also also affected by this; while interior lights still radiate, the lights themselves now only have a pinprick glow when turned on.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=603906728&searchtext=interior+light+control

Thanks, again, for looking into this. I hope there is a more global solution to consider.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Kham

7. Eikester

i found the cause

previously the ScreenArea material only had 2 parameters
    Code:
    <Material Name="ScreenArea">
    		<Parameter Name="Technique">MESH</Parameter>
    		<Parameter Name="ColorMetalTexture">Textures\Models\Cubes\ScreenArea_cm.dds</Parameter>
    		<Parameter Name="NormalGlossTexture">Textures\Models\Cubes\ScreenArea_ng.dds</Parameter>

</Material>
    now it has 3
    Code:
    <Material Name="ScreenArea">
    		<Parameter Name="Technique">MESH</Parameter>
    		<Parameter Name="ColorMetalTexture">Textures\Models\Cubes\ScreenArea_cm.dds</Parameter>
    		<Parameter Name="NormalGlossTexture">Textures\Models\Cubes\ScreenArea_ng.dds</Parameter>
    		<Parameter Name="AddMapsTexture">Textures\Models\Cubes\ScreenArea_add.dds</Parameter>
    	</Material>
    AddMapsTexture is new, this means you have to recompile your LCDs with the new ScreenArea definition to get them to work again

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Kham

So, out of curiosity for the noobs here, can I simply edit the _add texture alpha channel to get this working again or is it something that needs to original model files to be edited to get working?

9. Eikester

modders need to recompile the models to include the missing texture reference into the mwm, editing the _add map would not do anything

Edit: i'm 100% sure there could be a backwards compatible fix on keens end but i highly doubt it will happen so many lcd mods will stay broken until their creator returns and updates it which imo is a shame

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kham

Well that does kind of suck. There are several LCD mods I use where the modders have now abandoned their projects so those mods are all just dead now which is a real shame. I've tried reaching out to a few of the modders to see if they could send me their original files as I don't mind updating them myself and sending them back or whatever, but a lot of the modders simply no longer check their messages about their mods.

It would be nice if Keen would do a backwards compatibility fix for this issue considering it wasn't exactly a "short term bug" that modders were exploiting or something, it was just the way things were. Though frankly, Keen have been going down hill a lot on their mod support this last year or so and I'd agree it's highly unlikely they'll bother to.

11. I23I7 Tester Developer

Hey,

Sorry for the inconvenience but the bug that enabled the mods had to be fixed and there is no way to do a backward compatible change. it would be a "hack" in the code and would cause other problems with LCDs. Its not pleasant but we made decision to fix the issue because internally it was causing problems.

I23I7

12. Roxette

>.> ... You say this like it would be an unusual occurrence :D

13. I23I7 Tester Developer

Indeed but it this case yes :)