Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

1.183.101 - All Game Modes - Parachute Causes Spin of Death

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Reneta Scian, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Reneta Scian Apprentice Engineer

Using parachutes to stop a very massive object takes a LOT of parachutes. However, it seems when you use that many chutes to stop a large vessel, it causes it to bounce back into space similar to the Landing Gear Clipping / Sometimes Spin of Death I posted previously. You fall upwards until you leave the majority of the gravity field at 104 m/s. Then after about .07g you can take control again, and attempt re-entry again.

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Note: This ship has more than 20 Chute Launchers, being over 9,000,000 kg.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  2. I23I7 ME Tester

Why do you people always go into overkill. This why we cannot have nice things. Alright reported. BTW still working on that landing gear issue. I hope to get it done the coming week.

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. kittle Senior Engineer

sounds like a case for larger parachutes

4. Reneta Scian Apprentice Engineer

Well, the idea was to have an emergency chute system, or perhaps even to make routine out of using chutes to land to save Hydrogen on worlds with sufficient atmosphere. As far as designs breaking things, I've found that I have an uncanny ability to do the exact thing that makes something break, for some reason. Like, more than my other friends who got me into space engineers in the first place. And as far as the other thing, I'm pretty patient, and I enjoy the game so it taking a bit of time to fix isn't going to phase me much. I usually only get flustered if the game breaks my ships because of a glitch, and I have precautions against that even happening in the first place (Also Parachutes are a part of that countermeasure). (Shrugs)

I always over engineer. I try not to... But I do. It's why it takes me 3 - 5 iterations of the same design to be adequately refined. It's also why I incurred the wrath of the Lighting Flicker glitch, which seems to include thrusters lights. I always engineer my grids with maximum survivability. Oh, as a note my large ships have at least 6 landing gear, because I've had issues with fewer than that, due to previous clipping issues. The Kitties in Space Deep Space Frigate (pictured has close to 16 - 20. I could go get an exact count, but it's the same ship I sent Keen a blueprint of. I can resend it to you, if I need to.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. I23I7 ME Tester

Its alright i was just ranting on. Ill message you in PM.

6. Reneta Scian Apprentice Engineer

Blueprint Sent.

7. I23I7 ME Tester

Thanks got it!

8. Noy Apprentice Engineer

Have you tried to release one parachute at a time to see if that reduces the bounce?

9. Reneta Scian Apprentice Engineer

It's not the bounce, it's that it puts the ship into a spin of death. AKA. I can't control my orientation, direction or speed. I simply travel in whatever direction it glitches into and keep going until a state change causes it to end (or copy paste it back into the game, which is not always possible).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I23I7 ME Tester

Reported for fixing by albeit minor issue for now.

11. Noy Apprentice Engineer

Oh I get it now. It's probably wobble from multiple different vectors for each parachute effecting each other in a chain reaction over time; kind of like the clang that pistons and rotors face. It might become a bit more stable (still buggy though) if the parachutes are positioned so the net force would align with center of mass and not produce any net rotation (I'm assuming they can rotate the ship.) Granted that's easier said than done.

12. I23I7 ME Tester

By the way i found this guy made a really cool video about Parachutes 101 :

13. Reneta Scian Apprentice Engineer

Already watched it. :3 Thankies. I have revised some of my parachute designs, and for the time being, have stopped testing the Deep KISS's chute system.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I23I7 ME Tester

Yeah i reported it but its currently a ticket low priority.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.