Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[1.184.0] F12 Debug menu missing?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by suicideneil, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Pressing F12 only takes a screen shot ( assuming you haven't rebound that function to a different key ), the debug menu is now awol?

2. rexxar Senior Engineer

Debug menu was removed as it is a debug menu. We're looking into moving some of the safe options from that menu into the space master menu.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Texfire Trainee Engineer

Well that's not great for the streamers who make machinima with your game engine. How about adding the options to the space master menu, then removing the debug access? Not being able to set the time of day alone is a real problem.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

i totally agree, this is very unfriendly to content creators and modders, this should not have been disabled without a replacement!
    What makes it worse, this was all because someone complained that the dev/debug menu broke their game, ignoring the big red warning. Just like the Ship Welder nerf (that was reversed) because people complained they were dying while standing in front of them, some idiot complains about something 'stupid', everyone else loses out.

i do love Space Engineers but sometimes some really bad ideas make it into the game!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roxette Senior Engineer

This is a big problem with the world today. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself ? :>

6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Nope. In this case, it was people complaining that the dev/debug menu opened when they hit the key bound to their Steam overlay's screenshot function. If KSH had just changed the dev/debug key binding to [shift, control, or alt?] + F12, everyone would have been happy in the short term.

7. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

But you could push shift + F12 and it would still open the menu without taking a steam screen shot, its unfortunate that people can't be bothered to even attempt additional combinations. Similarly though i'm assuming the menu will still be there, they just wont be public with what key or key combination activates. Devs still need it, and with keens track record it might accidentally get added back into the release version.

8. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

well this came from Rexxar in discord, but that also sounds like a valid complaint

9. farrell1701 Trainee Engineer

This kind of change also should have been saved for after the screenshot competition deadline, or the competition delayed until the switchover was completed. There are many people who are relying on being able to do things like change the time of day to get their screenshots just right. Delaying the competition would have also let you focus on that kind of positive change alongside the competition announcement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MajorTom Apprentice Engineer

Taking it off F12 is a great improvement (though it definitely needs to be accessible somehow), because it interferes with the default screenshot keybinding for Steam. It has annoyed the hell out of most players ever since it was pushed to that button with no means of changing it, and it's not something easily changed on Steam's side because games use most other keys on the keyboard for something which is why it's on F12 to begin with.

11. I23I7 ME Tester

Alright quiet down people as Rexxar said we are looking into moving some of the option to space master. So ranting is not gonna help. List the feature that you used or remember using or would like to see. We will gather what we can and work with it :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Arcwolf Trainee Engineer

+1 for being able to change time of day / sun location. That for me is important.

• Like Like x 2
  13. I23I7 ME Tester

Right so the time of the day option seems to be the one people keep mentioning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Arcwolf Trainee Engineer

Also being able to lock the sun to its current position and keep it from moving. That too... which is only available currently within the save advanced options. On the fly changing is what I mean.

15. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

its the most used feature :)
    next is probably the atmospheric settings for planet modders

16. I23I7 ME Tester

17. NikolasMarch Junior Engineer

um dont remember what else was in there, ive used the Show physics boundaries a couple of times, lags the hell out of the game though, would that get worse if that is going to be in the profiler build, cos i assume the profiler build is gonna have a performance hit just being the profiler build?

18. I23I7 ME Tester

So physical rendering right? I know which one you mean it was the "Show Physics" option.

19. Arcturus Senior Engineer

For a while, the only option out of the F12 menu I have been using is to render debug physics. It is very useful to spot otherwise invisible physics bugs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I23I7 ME Tester

Alright far enough point as any.

21. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Hmm. Another one of those changes I guess ( Thruster-damage range anyone? ):

'hey, why did X stop working or get changed'?

'oh yeah, we totally changed that but didn't bother to mention it in any of the update videos or change-logs'

'cheers then... -_-'

PLEASE put these things in the change logs for goodness sake so we don't all go mad trying to figure out what is going on all the time...

22. I23I7 ME Tester

Yeah we know.

But in our defense there was a warning message that said it was a dev. tool which would imply that it was not part of the game as such.

23. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

Given how many bugs we find and how many solutions are proposed, I think the player-base count as devs too....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. I23I7 ME Tester

Oh Trust me i know very well how much elbow grease you guys put into tracking down problems and helping us.

As Rexxar stated some thigns might be brought back.

25. entspeak Senior Engineer

Ah, I was just modding a planet and wanted to work on the atmosphere and discovered this issue.

Not the best defense. I mean, you guys surely must have known you have a robust modding community, yes? I mean... seriously? You must have known your modders might, possibly, maybe, just... maybe... have needed that menu to create and/or debug... mods, right? ;) The planet and voxel modding guides both have steps that involve using it.

I know I use the atmosphere rendering and environment stuff quite a bit as a planet modder. Also, the thing that lets you check voxels and voxel color.

Edit:

I haven't seen a performance hit in the profile build yet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.