Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

10 items on your hot key bar and 10 hot key bars: vote no to pressing 0 to de-equip

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by kcjunkbox, Mar 14, 2016.

?

How do you de-equip?

1. Press the `~ key (it's left of the number 1 key

33.3%
  2. Press the number key for the item already equiped

11.1%
  3. Press the 0 key

55.6%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Since you can de-equip yourself 3 ways, pressing the `~ key just left of the number 1 key, press the button for the item you are already using again and press the 0 key. Why not make the 0 key able to hold a hot key item so now we have 9 new hot key items and for a bonus make the 0 key a whole new hot key bar for an extra 10 hot keys for a total of 100!

I use the `~ key since it is so close to my left hand on the movement controls and my right hand is on the track ball.

If you are already used to pressing 0, change your habbit so we can have an additional 19 hot keys!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Malware Master Engineer

I use the ~ key for the steam overlay.

3. sioxernic Senior Engineer

This is such a minor issue that I see absolutely no reason to change it personally. It is not even a big UI improvement as the current system is quite intuitive.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. EstebanLB Trainee Engineer

Is not about that. It's about having an extra hotbar slot wich is currently occupied (and hardcoded) to an action doable with another bindable key

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Potter Apprentice Engineer

I would like that. I'm always changing the hotbar so having an extra slot would be cool.

6. sioxernic Senior Engineer

And having 9x9 hotbar slots is not enough? I am aware of what you are discussing and I still see it as a completely small minor little problem that is a almost complete non-issue. Nothing is changed about my stance at all.

I dislike how ARK works where clicking your hotbar again deequips since small lag spikes will make you draw and sheathe the equipment rapidly, even if you added a small delay it would piss of other people when they accidentally misclick. There is pros and cons with either solution but it is such a minor problem I don't see a particularly good reason to change it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Wouldn't you rather have more hot bar items when you are building in creative/survival? This way you don't have to G menu as much. With another 19 slots I doubt I would have to enter the G menu hardly at all. The G menu is where there is lots of lag. And it is so disorganized it lags my brain trying to find that item I'm looking for. I don't use all the hot bars when I'm flying a ship, unless it is a really large complicated ship with lots of features and scripts that need controlling. But I do like setting up each hot bar as a checklist. Slot 1 is undocking and take off. Slot 2 is Navigation. Slot 3 is "work/combat" so tools, cameras and lights, etc. for contruction/mining and weapons for combat. Slot 4 is for landing and docking. Slot 5 is for systems/comms. But for building I run out of slots for all the blocks I regularly use. I have two little extra buttons on my track ball next to the left button that scroll through my hot bars so I can quickly select the one I want and keep my left hand on the controlls.
    It already de equips when you hit the hot butten again so I'm not sure what you are getting at...? That is just one of 3 ways to currently do it.

What's wrong with shift+tab? I like it being a two key combo because it makes it harder to hit accidentally and since the overlay stops you from controlling your movements but keeps the game unpaused that is dangerous. The ~ key is too close to other keys I use quickly and I could hit it on accident. Similarly I rebind the power on/off function to the / key so I don't accidently hit power off when I reach for T or the 6 or 7 slot on the hot bar. But the point is you can rebind that function to any other key, which is totally cool, but our hot bar slots and items are not rebindable so more realestate is better.

8. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

I use ~ to mute my mic or switch mic modes on TS/discord. That being said I wouldn't mind a tenth hotbar slot, but I have managed just fine with the current setup. Indeed, for quite some time I didn't even know about the extra hotbars, and I still don't use more than three or so at most.

What would really be useful for toolbar efficiency would be the scroll-wheel system from Medieval Engineers. However I don't find it to be very high priority and frankly it seems like more of a finishing/beta feature to me, for SE at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sioxernic Senior Engineer

It's never de-equipped for me if I click the same button again so I am not sure if it is because I am running with old config files or you activated a setting I didn't. Either way I still don't see this as a major issue. I mean we could start saying we want 11 slots, then 12 so on, etc, etc. I am still not changing my stance. I have no problem with how the hotbar works right now. I have thought once in a while "It would be nice with two extra slots" but then I just switched to the next hotbar or hotswap the items in my hotbar. It is basically a non-issue that is not even a super QoL feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Malware Master Engineer

Shift+tab is reverse UI control focus. I'm a coder. I use the keyboard.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

11 or 12? There's only 10 number keys...and it isn't a two extra slots, its 19

I'm not a coder and I have no idea what you mean but ok, I get it you seem to have a valid reason to not use shift tab.

12. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

I personally sort my hot bars based on block types. I.E A hot bar for armor blocks, a hot bar for windows, conveyors etc... Being able to get an extra block of a like category is the only reason I could think of to add this. But honestly, adding the scrolling though all of a blocks variations via selecting it, and scrolling the mouse wheel like you would in medival engineers would serve this purpose much more effectively. Just sayin.

13. Malware Master Engineer

I'm sorry... No disrespect intended! All I meant is that as a coder I'm used to using the keyboard rather than the mouse :). When you press the tab key, focus moves from one control (say a text box) to another. When you press shift-tab, focus goes the other way. Since I use this automatically, and since I would prefer not to lose that muscle memory just for a game, I'd very much like to keep it that way. I also simply like using (0) to empty my hands. (shrug) It's a preference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. sioxernic Senior Engineer

I have seen games extend hotbars beyond 10 by using the keys between 0 and backspace. And again it is still only minor little not even true QoL feature. I am not sure why you are regurgitating yourself. Unless you have no new points there is really not much point in trying to convince me on this since I am unlikely to change my stance unless you come up with the sure fire insane argument.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Oh yea, shift tab goes backwards in fields just like in all applications really. I forgot about that. I agree muscle memory is super important which is why I hope they will make changes like this sooner rather than later so we can develop that memory.

I get that it does not help your play much at all but does it hurt your playing? But, you're right, unreasonable people can't be reasoned with.

16. sioxernic Senior Engineer

What does this have to do with being unreasonable? I disagree therefor I am unreasonable? I just don't agree that this is such a big issue as you make it out to be and therefor I am automatically unreasonable? Consider that it may be because I have a different opinion than yours and may see issues in the game differently than you although that still does not make me unreasonable for disagreeing to something that is extremely subjective.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Malware Master Engineer

Hehe. Way, way, way too late for that - after 1900 hours I think it's pretty much stuck :p

Meh - I can find another key than ~ for the steam overlay, I'm not married to it. I won't change my vote though. As I said, preference :)

18. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Pressing a slot again doesn't do jack, are you using a mod that screws with the UI?

on topic: I use the 0 key very rarely, mostly to get grabby hands and tools out of the way for Screenshots. The 5 is exclusively reserved for the Welder, my tool of choice when not placing blocks. Personally i see a lot of noise about nothing in the OP's OP; if anything i'd make the "nothing" option it's own little icon to drag wherever you want and open the 0 up to everything. Plus the ^ key could be used as well; there's really no reason we have to start with the 1. Same for the ß- and ´-keys. Even so, though, the only time i see myself running out of block space in the bar is when i want to put the basic Cube plus Welder plus all the Armor Ramp blocks into a single bar. Ideally i'd like them to have enough slots for the four basic blocks plus Welder plus Armor Ramp, but since i want the Armor Ramp system WASTLY expanded anyway that'd enter the dimensions where even i say "use a mod for that". Could the bar be improved? 'Course. But it works fine as-is.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Lol, just to many lols :)

Btw wait for the post you may be receiving soon being told that you are unreasonable for disagreeing with him though.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

My body is ready.

21. kcjunkbox Senior Engineer

Because you have been combative since your first post. "minor issue...no reason to change it" And I asked later, maybe it wouldn't help you, but would it hurt you? No answer, just arguing. Just because it doen'st help you , screw everyone else that it would even if it does not hurt you. You're the typical internet poster. You probably wouldn't talk the way you do in person. Respect is the first thing to go on the internet because of anonymity. Malware disagreed but we reasoned it through, he still may not totaly agree with me but doesn't have a problem with it and remained respectful. I have no problem with Rotal, also reasonable and respectful. Plus I dig Samantha Carter too.

Double pressing the slot key doen'st get rid of the hand if you are placing a block, only if you are holding a tool or weapon. Which is wierd and inconsistent but hey its SE.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. sioxernic Senior Engineer

So because I disagree and I write why I disagree and my opinion did not change meanwhile I still responded to your replies is unreasonable?

I am sorry but I was not writing: "ur suggztion is bad" with no arguments. I have a different way of talking and arguing than they did, so? I mean I could call you combative since you provided nothing new in most of your replies which is why I made the comment about regurgitating. This is a two way street man, and I was trying to supply arguments while staying quite neutral.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.