Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[170.004-173.008] [SP] Piston Head twisting 90 degrees at load of game, untwists when triggered.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by gimmilfactory, Jan 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

I have this little project that I started on again - after the planets update destroyed it. Before planets came out it worked and was 100% completed, then decided to break when planets where introduced. I started the project up again and what do you know, two weeks later after an update it breaks again. Now I am trying to start the project for a third time almost three months later - and I come across yet another issue; the piston head now twists 90 degrees when world is loaded and un-twists when the piston position is triggered.

Oops I just noticed I didn't have OBS set up after a fresh Windows installation..
    480p is the best it will get :D

Broked still - and after so many piston and rotor fixes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

Talk about a clang-summoning bug. Even though they fixed subgrid merging there's no way to make anything stable with pistons with this bug.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

Update!
    Welp, I just rebuilt it all annoyingly enough and well - it seems to not be doing it now!

So they(maybe) fixed something in this update that addressed it; but it isn't updating any piston block already placed in a world-save.
    Doing it all on the same grid while setup the exact same way - I can't cause it twist now. yay??!?!?!!!!!!

-----

Update Update!

Yeah.....game is still broken for me and my designs. GG :)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  4. Urablahblah Apprentice Engineer

"Yay! No longer twists!"
    *twists along different axis*
    "KEEEEEEEN!!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. N1Ran Trainee Engineer

This is also affecting small ship pistons. The pistons are phasing throught the piston heads or causing a weird rotaion.

6. Richo27 Trainee Engineer

Trying to merge a drill head with a series of pistons, as soon as it merges it twists 90 degrees like a rotor, thereby destroying said drill head. Im on the dev brach 01_170_005 64 bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nick_A Trainee Engineer

Whenever I load my world, 9/10 times anything on pistons explodes. Sometimes it doesn't. How odd.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

Wait till you try to use them :tu:

---
    New version, same issue. Pweeeeez fix it Keen!!!

Weee!!!! - Some Diagnostics!

I have seemingly traced it to be an issue with any pistons with their base attached to sub-grids; static grids(the parent) don't cause them to twist.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nick_A Trainee Engineer

When stuff doesn't explode, my left piston blast door works, but my right one freezes the game (with sparks flying at a normal framerate), and then unreasonably large explosions. Like 50m radius holes all over for no reason.

10. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

New version, same issues. Keeeeeeeen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]
    The one on left, the head stays and the whole piston body twists along with the rotor freely, keeping the solar array from spazzing out, but it still twists as it extends.

----
    Weeee I figured how how to make it do it and keep it from happening.

Loading level with piston locked, reversing piston, then unlocking keeps it from happening.

Unlocking and reversing direction makes it happen

Keeping it unlocked between world save and load causes it to just do it upon load or initial direction reversal

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gimmilfactory Junior Engineer

New version, same over-looked issue. Broken for at least 4 updates now :X

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. PoeticInjustice Trainee Engineer

Current dev build. I'm also running into this issue on a small rover on a planet. Attempting to merge two sub grids to have two pistons attached. Pushing one piston up until merge blocks touch.
    A significant portion of the time, when I reverse one of the pistons to start it extending, the small stub of armor blocks and a merge block attached to the piston head rotates 90 degrees around an axis going the length of the piston. Some, but not all of the time, after a save / load cycle, the rotation reverts. If I allow it to rotate, then remove the rotated pieces and rebuild in the correct location, massive explosions happen when the merge blocks lock.

13. Martin R Wolfe Trainee Engineer

The problem is caused by the pison expecting the sub grid it's head is part of to have a particular orientation. If the sub grid does not have this orientation when the piston expends/retracts it is twisted so that it does. This is why using piston head rotor then merge block solves it. In another thread on the subject of pistons and merge blocks there was a video showing exactly why this happens and what to watch for to make sure it did not. The basics was to turn on show grid pivot when building so the orientation of the piston heads could be lined up correctly. This of cause only works when the pistons are both on the same or opposite face of the sub grid.

Could well be caused by when the piston moves to tells the head to move to the expected location/orientation directly specifying the orientation. What should really happen is the head should be told to go to the expected location then only have its orientation changed if the axis of its face is not inline with that of the piston movement.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.