Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A big problem with the space station

Discussion in 'General' started by Crawller, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crawller Trainee Engineer

Is there any way to do that a station don't fall off into the planet?

I'm building a large-medium space station and before finish it I want to know if there is a block or something that will keep it on it's place, like an gravity stabilizers; because it'll be very close to a planet.

Any idea? :p

Thanks

(Regards to Sevastopol from Alien :woot:)

2. halipatsui Senior Engineer

If your station is within gravity field it needs thrusters to stay in place. However if there is an asteroid inside gravity field you can attach the station to asteroid.
    Large ships can be changed into stations but i am not sure if it is possible while howering inside gravity fied.

If you need an asteroid in survival you can go and add one by changining the worl temporarily to creative and using alt+f10 to add an asteroid.

3. Malware Master Engineer

Alternatively you can switch off station support in the world options, that'll allow you to create static stations anywhere. Personally I don't like it, but hey, it's your game ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Simply turn on "Unsupported Stations" in your World Options; it will prevent Station Grids from being subjected to physics. @Xocliw this is a wonderful example of why the removal of the "Spawn New Station Grid"-Button was a bad idea, as this poor player will now have to finagle a solution to newly spawned grids being Ship Grids.
    @OP Ideally you could just set up a block in open space in Creative (either via Creative Tools or by changing the World to Creative for a moment), where a Ship Grid isn't going to be start drifting or falling, place down a Control Panel, claim Ownership and turn it into a Station via the Control Panel; the resulting Station Grid can now be copypasted into your desired position in orbit. (Alternatively you can spawn a small Asteroid in your planet's gravity field and ancor your Station to that, which is what i did, and that works for World where Unsupported Stations isn't possible, like Servers you don't own.) An alternative would be to turn on Unsupported Stations and use Ion Thrusters to keep a Ship in place in the upper portions of a gravity well and turning it into a Station; the "Turn Grid Into Station"-button only works when the grid in question is not moving.
    --- Automerge ---
    It is, but you need to have that function enabled and without Unsupported Stations turned on the resulting grid will promptly turn back into a Ship Grid. That button also only works if the grid is completely motionless, which i'd like to be changed to "Below 1 m/s" specifically for situations like this one.
    @Xocliw Reminder that Small Grid Stations have been broken since forever.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You can spawn asteroids (Shift + F10) from a menu in creative mode. It's an option from the pull down menu. Asteroids are not subject to gravitational fields. You could spawn an asteroid right ON a planet if you wanted or hovering 100 meters above the surface.

If you put thrusters on a station, you're going to need gyros, if you want to use inertial dampeners then you're going to need a flight seat or remote control block. SURPISE. Your station is really just a slow moving ship. A few big ion thrusters and it should stay put. Just remember that the deeper you go into gravity the more force required to counter it. Also the bigger you build your station, the more force to keep it stationary as well.

6. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

you could always anchor a station onto an asteroid.
    then like mine almost all of it away leaving a tiny piece of magically never moving asteroid holding the whole thing together because cpu.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

This here is what I was going to suggest, it is in my experience a performance friendly option since stations seem to handle large grids with less performance drop than ship grids. And of course you probably don;t want to have a large rock there so either mining away the majority of the rock or spawning a deliberately small asteroid from the list is the most sensible approach.

8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

its good until someone recreates star wars and fires a missile at the little piece of rock holding the whole station together. :p

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Harrekin Master Engineer

That was all explained in Rogue One, the jokes are officially disallowed now!

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

Dont forget the more materials you add to say a container on the station the more force you'll need to keep it there because physics lol

11. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

If you don't attach to an asteroid you can try this.
    Personally, I recommend placing your station just outside the gravity well. Add 1 or 2 large thrusters each direction plus 2 gyros with the override setting on. Lastly, you might want to increase the mass of your station so that it is less affected by ships connecting to it. Perhaps add a few large containers and fill them with stone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

The only issue with that is the game engine will be doing unnecessary small calculations as it is not a station block and therefore will be drifting ever so slightly, this increases the bigger the station is. And the other downside is if something with rotors/pistons for whatever reason goes boom the station could fly off without you. IMHO it is always best to have stations as station/static grids with the unsupported option enabled. It reduces so much work for the PC and you can always be safe in the knowledge it'll be where you left it.

13. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

I tried that once without planets and never again. Loaded game to find it spinning at 30RPM. Finally got it to settle out by removing the override. I think the gyros started up thinking they had to be oriented differently (maybe a -1 on a 0-359 scale).

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

ye there was an old bug where the 0 on the scale actually meant anywhere between 0.05 and 0 but it was fixed. Always best to set it to 0 by using the ctrl feature and manually typing in 0.

15. Harrekin Master Engineer

Orly?

That explains why my old PWM design that flew by manipulating gyro directly would sometimes just spin on the spot, lol

I just assumed my vector math game was weak...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

I mean you can still see it on some things with sliders. Pop a slider at what you think is 0 and then use the ctrl option and the number will be something horrible like 0.00348284 etc. Afaik its a tricky thing to fix.

17. Harrekin Master Engineer

I didn't think it needed to be type consistent though, I thought setting double x = 0 was the same double x = 0.0?

Maybe I was having a different problem.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.