Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

a bigger air-tight door

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by DiBBz, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Daniel Bednarz Trainee Engineer

biggest mod takes them out to 4 so 8 blocks for either side of the door at most A large hangar airtight door being 10 blocks wide is large enough then modders can work with that too.

2. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

Actually the perfect way to solve this issue is not to add more blocks of the same type but instead make it so that you can build an infinitely large version but with restrictions like for example, the larger the door needs to extend the more the housing as in the block that holds the doors when open would need to be, It would be something like this.
    [​IMG]

3. Levits Senior Engineer

A drag and drop form would be nice but i see no current equivalent of anything like it in the game. It would have to be a static box and preset. However, if this was possible, then it would be the optimum way of creating specific airlock doors. But again, how would you work such a thing into programing? As you extend upward, you'd also eventually reach a point that you would need to extend outward to take up additional space where the door panels all collect. <well... not really. but you'd have those three blocks sticking out from the bottom or top. Some people might not like that idea.

4. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

if it extends by 1 then that means we can have a total of 6 blocks compared to 4 witch is okey and im guessing people could make do with it

why does everyone get the impression that when ask for something and get it that we want a even better version or bigger version

i only suggested an idea on giving us a bigger door. how do they satisfy that need ? simple they add whats currently on the workshop at the moment a block that extends 4 blocks on its own and if you stack it thats 8 blocks in total high you can get a ship through. and if you have anything thats bigger than 8 blocks in a small ship design then. its not really classed as a fighter or bomber / Mining ship / cruiser

a small ship design is only suitable up to what id say is a cruiser witch is 7-8 large blocks high (A single Large Block is 2.5 meters cubed, while a single Small Block is 0.5m3) so that means 5 small blocks in hight = 1 large block. so your saying if they added a 4 block high door that "we" would wont a even bigger one ? (maybe) but not as commonly as its being discussed on this thread. a few amount of people will ask for a bigger one but the majority are happy with what they have gotten! i know for a fact if they gave the people that where asking for a bigger door the one i talked about above. it would please the majority of people wanting one cause for starters the door extends 2x as big compared to its counterpart (2x blocks) and if you bundle it with another it gives you 8 blocks worth of free space to get ships in and out etc

so yeah that would be a pretty stupid design to have a ship thats 40+ small blocks high. i mean thats incredibly high and is not not really land-able material if you ask me. it should either be landed in a wide open space (not pressurized) or be docked up etc . certainly nothing id like seeing in a hanger. and if i did then i certainly would not be asking for biggers doors thats for starters

5. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

not gonna lie but thats probably the best idea ive ever seen coming from you!

tho hate to burst the bubbles but that wont be possible (at least i think) for their current engine. while i would like to have a slider to let me choose how many blocks i want for the door to extend. they will still need to add more blocks (like you put in your picture) for different sizes of the base structure

i think the regular 1x1x2 block and 2x1x4 block is suitable for most

6. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

I believe i did mention this but seeing as a image stands out, its understandable that it didn't get seen until now.

7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Make it go to 11.
    [​IMG]

8. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

I'm going to take a rough guess at 33 for 11.

9. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

while i get that funny little joke

but yeah try not to derail the thread

10. SenorZorros Master Engineer

for 2000$ I'll build you one that goes up to 12 ;)
    on another note I should really dig up that movie sometimes.

11. EternityTide Senior Engineer

Why not introduce the ability to tight seal blast doors? Slide it across and pull it into place like a giant flat plug. [​IMG]
    The rims on this submarine door are raised, so that it fits into a groove, rendering it airtight. Regions where the seal is supposed to be made can be highlighted by introducing a "Gasket block", that allows you to outline the region you want the seal to be made when it comes into contact with another gasket block, the same way that merge blocks use to connect ships.

12. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

then that just requires more blocks. cause blast doors where meant for rotor's and pistons to be used as a somewhat hanger door. but now its just mearly used as a protective door for key areas.. everyone just uses pressurized doors cause they want a sense of realism

i get what you mean tho. like a blast door that slots into another block and locks it airtight. but really that seems to complicated for the engine. plus we all ready have blast door blocks on the workshop that have a locking mechanism

13. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

I would love a blast door like door, something that can seal in case of emergency.

14. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

would never see the light of day tho.

closest thing you will see to that being done is the blast door locking mod in witch he made blast doors like landing pads with the locking mechanic

15. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

16. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

no point bumping my friend. its seems highly unlikely they will ever add a bigger door

17. Sims_doc Junior Engineer

You've got to believe, my friend. Even in the darkest hour there is always hope and this is very much one of them.

I was just thinking why isn't there a heavy version of airtight doors?

18. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

because "more important" stuff must come first!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.