Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A bit frustrated.

Discussion in 'General' started by MorshuArtsInc, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Hello, fellow engineers.
    I see all of you really happy with the new updates.
    I would be too.
    But sadly, since the beginning of this year, ME has been become almost unplayable for me, especially survival mode.
    Everything was fine and dandy until the beginning of this year.
    0.6 was great. So much new stuff. I could finally even get my friends to play.
    Then, in January, the first bugs came. Alright, they'll fix it. They did.
    They added some new stuff, which is cool. Which has always been cool.
    So I played as usual.
    But do you know what was not cool? My PC. And that I mean quite literally. My PC keeps getting hotter, so hot that touching its case is almost unbearable. Sometimes, the game even crashes, and it says my graphics card overheated. (On top of that, without creating a crash log, at least none that I know of.)
    Apart from the heat, placing blocks and altering terrain in survival mode has become utterly unresponsive. Placing the first block is usually fine. But the next one and the ones after that won't show up immediately, but need about half a minute. When digging, the terrain does change -- I just can't see it. It looks like walking through solid stone. Cranking down my graphics settings hasn't really helped either. Reinstalling the game? Nope.
    The thing is, up until January, my current setup was completely sufficient. And everything is okay with every other game that I'm playing. My PC doesn't even get remotely as hot. It's just Medieval Engineers.
    I would blame the lately introduced parallel processing, but that wouldn't affect my graphics card, but rather my CPU, wouldn't it?
    And since nobody seems to have these problems as well (I've been checking the bug reports frequently), they appear to be on my side. That's why I'm posting this here and not in the bug report section.

Here are my current specs:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5 GHz
    RAM: 16 GB
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Up to date driver, fan cooled)
    Storage: 300 GB SSD

As you can see, most of it is not really state of the art, but it easily fulfills the recommended system requirements specified on the store page.
    What do you guys think: Should this still be okay and the problem is somewhere else, or should I get a new graphics card? Would be about time, but I fear it might not fit into my case.

2. Supreme Chicken Trainee Engineer

Maybe you should get your pc looked at. I've had a similar problem in the past with a laptop, which would overheat upon launching a game up until the point where it would shut itself down after less than a minute. That also appeared to only happen with a particular game, but it turned out there was a broken component in the computer (don't recall exactly what).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Hmmm... the mainboard, the power supply and the SSD are less than a year old. It would be really annoying if there'd be a problem with those, considering how long it took reconfiguring everything.

4. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

If I changed anything it would be my OS in your case. Everyone knows pc's are powered by voodoo and mysticism, so it would make sense to have the most current mystic voodoo just in case things aren't being supported any longer by certain OS spirits.
    Seriously, most of the problems with display/gpu that I read here are from users with 7. They are not all the same problems, but when it comes to display or graphics you can see in the logs; 7. Really its just a guess though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Malware Master Engineer

I wish that mattered... I've had months-old components break. Heck; I've had brand new components arrive broken. It happens, electronic components are sensitive. Fortunately there's usually such a thing as warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Or maybe... Microsoft is casting black magic on graphics cards via updates so people install their new spywa- I mean "operating system".:D
    Well, at least I got a key for Windows 10 left.

7. Lord Seth Trainee Engineer

- Install a hardware tracking software (like Open Hardware Monitor) and see exactly from where the overheat is coming from, and what % you are using of your gpu, cpu and ram
    - Check that the fans (from cpu, gpu and case) work correctly and there is no dust or other things blocking them
    - Check if your power supply is ok and the voltages are what they need to be (bad power supply could lead to slower than normal fans)

My guess? Or something is wrong with your hardware or the requirements listed in the store page don't reflect the current state of the game and you cpu (that is very old, from 2010) is not up to the task any more

• Like Like x 1
  8. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, that could help.
    Also, I think Keen should update the info on the ME store page. I'll create a thread in the suggestions forums.

9. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

I am not having this issue, and my computer is nearly that old. Specs for comparison:

Alienware M17xR3, originally purchased 11/2011 (Laptop, sort of)
    Intel i7-2670QM at 2.2GHz
    nVidia GeForce 560M
    16.0 GB RAM
    Primary HDD: 500GB SATA, but ME is installed on an external HDD via USB 3.0

I'm experiencing some frame-rate and simspeed issues, but not any temperature issues. And the framerate issues have only appeared in the last several updates, so maybe they're related to your issue? Possible, I suppose, but I'm not seeing most of the problems you're describing.

I think @Lord Seth has the right idea, though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

It could be a mixture of @Lord Seth and @Ghostickles solutions, considering you're using Windows 10.

11. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

As you said, not state of the art.. However its not horrible. I used to run the exact same CPU and its better for certain games than one or two generation newer AMDs. You pretty much need to go 3 generations newer or a ryzen to see a difference in games like ME and other CPU heavier games from around the 2011-2013 time period.

From what you described, you either have a heat issue (which is causing an automatic slowdown to prevent CPU destruction) or just too much for the CPU to handle. I don't think its the latter. The 970 CPU is old. Which means you've had it for a minute. With that said I think its one of two issues:

First one is maybe a heatflow issue. The heatsink is either dirty or damaged. Or the fan is not running as well as it should. Great news is I believe you can get a new one off newegg or amazon for your CPU type for relatively cheap. Also the thermal compound sealing the heatsink to the processor may need to be reapplied. That's few bucks to fix.

Second on is the CPU may be on its last leg. That's not a cheap issue as you'll need a new CPU and unless you can get another one of that pin configuration, you're looking at a new setup.

I don't believe it is a GPU issue since you said you saw no change with graphics settings and that the computer itself is running hot. However its not outside the realm of possibility. 780Ti are still.. not bad GPUs. I think they're better than 960s which is still a common and modern GPU. I'm not sure how hot those run, but you seem to have indicated its not.

We'd need temperature readings while playing ME to know for sure. There's a variety of tools out there you can use.

On the surface, I think there's an airflow issue. That's the most common issue with the symptoms you've given. But not the only cause. But cleaning and checking is never a bad idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, that is weird. I don't know if I have ever had my graphic card overheat.

I remember at the beginning of ME, when it first launched, my graphic card would just be unable to process anything when blocks came crashing down and it would just freeze for about 14 seconds before any frames came in. Then take another 12 seconds to have the next frames come in, until the collapse finished. No one else had that happening on videos and stuff, I was the only one.

But it didn't overheat or anything like that.

But it's definitely a bug on their end. You should post it in bug reports, including your Directx logs in pastebin and give them a link (otherwise they can't really do much). Do you know how to generate those?

If it was working fine before and some update caused this issue, it's not your card. It's something that is happening with a particular setup. In this case, your PC. You should send them the data, it's definitely something that could help them iron out the code if they find the problem.

13. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Hmmm, guess you're right. I'll try to find out where to get the DirectX logs.

14. Roxette Senior Engineer

You should find it as VRageRender-DirectX11.log in the same place as the other game logs, commonly in C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\MedievalEngineers

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

The Directx logs I was referring to were these ones,

In Windows, open Run, and type "dxdiag"

It will ask you something weird about do you want to check if your drivers are digitally signed. Click no.

Now a new window will open and it will do some tests of your system.

Wait for it to finish, and...

Click the "Save All Information". It should create a text file that is very useful for them to determine what is going on with your particular setup.
    Append that to the bug report. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

Alright fellas, I think I know the actual problem:

My PC case is simply too small. Everything's pretty crammed in there, and the air just can't circulate properly because of that.
    [​IMG]
    I opened up while playing (again almost burning my fingers), the hot air could escape, and the game ran just fine again. I could even crank up the graphics settings again and play without any visual delay (and, more importantly, no crashes). So from now on, I will just play ME with my case open (I know, not recommended, but if it helps).
    However, I do think that the requirements have increased since the beginning of this year, otherwise I wouldn't have this problem at all.

17. Roxette Senior Engineer

The grille with holes at the corners on the back, above the I/O card slots, is intended for mounting a fan - obtain and fit one and you can put the case lid back on :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Cetric Junior Engineer

:D That is the only way I am using my computers, all the time. All casings plain open. No matter if I play ME, SE or just work. :D
    --
    However, it still is a good idea to unbolt both the air cooling fan units on CPU *and* graphic card and blow through (do that on the balcony...) - you will be amazed how much dust the ribs or the plastic enclosed channel on the graphic card can contain! That is all producing heat by ineffective cooling, as the fans can't blow off the heated air as it is intended.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MorshuArtsInc Apprentice Engineer

You mean right underneath the power supply? Hmm... I wonder if I can find a fan that is flat enough.

20. sonicthe Trainee Engineer

Should be a standard case fan. Not sure how much everything sticks up from the motherboard, but most all of these things are pretty standard, even in older cases with newer innards.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.