Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A few suggestions from an engineer.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Victoriesx42, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

Hello,

Here are a few suggestions;

Realistic materials behavior;
    Torsion
    Bending
    Shear
    compression
    elongation
    Heat conduction/insulation
    melting point

Varying levels of material properties;
    Hardness
    Strength
    Ductility
    Malleability

Radiation;
    Sources
    shielding
    damage/poisoning
    Natural background radiation (it's space, after all)

Heat
    Realistic heat flow or application of thermodynamics
    Melting/thermal deformation
    Damage from temperature extremes

Electricity;
    Resistance/power loss
    Magnetic fields
    Electrical components
    -use inductor for magnetic fields
    electrocution by contact with damaged parts

Metallurgy;
    Use standard metals in a furnace to create new and stronger alloys

Ship dynamics;
    Atmosphere
    ship stability affected due to vented atmosphere
    Airlocks (penalty for rapid compression/decompression)
    Energy management (I.e control amount of power given to thrust/weapons/life support)

Player interaction
    Currency
    trading
    combat systems
    organized factions
    A.I. characters

Feedback and constructed criticism is appreciated.

2. Ralirashi Apprentice Engineer

You're trying to over-complicate stuff.
    While I could (in theory) deal with the electricity stuff you mentioned (being an EE student), I'm not very familiar with thermodynamics. And even less with materials engineering. And a lot of people playing this game aren't engineers at all in real life. Moreover, I want to keep this a game.
    All astronauts in the game are currently shielded from background radiation by their suits (which are always on).
    There's no atmosphere at the moment (not sure if planned or not).
    Trading - yes.
    Currency - maybe?
    Combat systems - not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the weapons, they will be enabled eventually.
    Organized factions - I think planned.
    A.I. - not sure if we need them.

TL;DR: don't turn a game into an engineering nightmare.

3. Ubiqanon Trainee Engineer

Begin transmission:

Greetings Victoriesx42

Agree with:

1. Heat management. There needs to be some component / block /system to deal with the heat the engines would create. But not to the point of running ducting for internal heat mgmt, etc.
    2. Life support - aka atmosphere on ships. Like the idea, but not sure if there is any need for it or interest in it at this point. Atmospheric generators - oxygen & temperature management - would be a good necessary component, but I am not sure how the game would be able to manage the lack of such things. It simply ignores them now based on the perfect omnipotence of the space suit - apparently there is no need to ever leave it. Also, how would you designate areas that should have life support?
    3. And while we are talking about life support - what about food? Should that be part of the game - procuring and consuming food?
    4. Airlocks. Absolutely, if they do #2. But for now, I would be happy with external doors that function. (open & close)
    5. I have yet to see how raw materials will be processes, how parts will be manufactured, and how machines will be constructed (if any), so some of the materials / crafting suggestions seem immature. (Not you, just the ideas, they need more explanation.)
    6. I am not certain, but given the results of collisions, it does appear that hardness/ strength/ shear are somewhat taken into account.
    7. Magnetic fields - that area is wide open, would be interesting to see what they could come up with.

As to player interactions, currency is a meh, but I would imagine trading in this game will be simply face to face - hey i need this thing, do you have it? What can i give you for it. Not market / exchange based. Combat is already WIP. Dont like the idea of A.I. The only reason you need markets, factions, and the like, is if you are running an MMO. Pretty unnecessary even when this game goes server side multiplayer.

End of Line.

4. Mac D Junior Engineer

Good to have more engineers joining the forum. I wonder how many of the 100,000+ who have purchased the early game have a science or engineering background?

I have suggestions and a topic for heat related engineering ideas at this link below. Get over there peer-review it and do some voting.

http://forums.keenswh.com/post/adding-realistic-thermal-behaviour-with-heating-heat-transfer-heat-sinks-heat-management-melting-and-vaporisation-6613317

I try to put suggestions in block form to hopefully be more compatible with the game so far, and keep the easy-to-use nature of the game intact (even if somewhat complicated equations are running in the background)

5. Evis Apprentice Engineer

Count me here. I am looking for an engineering nightmare.

6. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

Hey guys,

thanks for the feedback I appreciate it. While this may be due to my own bias, I would really like to see more technical things added, and more realistic behavior of space and materials added.

Thanks

7. Victoriesx42 Trainee Engineer

I'd also like to see local gravitational effects, moderated directly by the gravitational formula, since we have mass in game.

8. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Gravitation effect of asteroids or small ships is almost nothink, until game get some Moons or larget object, black holes, atc.... its not worth calculate and include in game.

This is info about our Moon ( with so much mass almost no gravitation )<table style="width: 22.44em; height: 145px; border-spacing: 3px;" cellspacing="3" class="infobox"><tbody><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row"> </th><td> </td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row"> </th><td> </td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row"> </th><td> </td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row">Mass</th><td>7.3477 × 10<sup>22</sup> kg (0.012300 Earths<sup id="cite_ref-W06_1-5" class="reference">[1]</sup>)</td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row">Mean density</th><td>3.3464 g/cm<sup>3</sup><sup id="cite_ref-W06_1-6" class="reference">[1]</sup></td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row">Equatorial surface gravity</th><td>1.622 m/s<sup>2</sup> (0.165 4 g)</td></tr><tr><th style="text-align: left;" scope="row">Escape velocity</th><td>2.38 km/s</td></tr></tbody></table>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.