Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A Hardcore Survival story + world-load challenges

Discussion in 'General' started by Calaban, Apr 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban Junior Engineer

Crashed Red Ship- No Helmet.
    I think its time again.

Similar to last years topic, but with a more stable physics and visuals overhaul. (more stable in that its actually playable now)

With a handy no helmet mod keeping us honest: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1369595487

While we wait in the dead forum times between major updates, lets let this topic be something interesting to chew upon with our engineering workings.

I'm going to do this version a little differently... as in: you get to face the challenges I dealt with as well.

So! Episode 1=
    The story so far:
    So- that brought me to this interesting puzzle. And challenge. Here is that world save. Your turn to overcome it! :)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372530383

I'm interested to hear the solutions you guys come up with.

[next challenge]
    Challenge 2= Find the leak [and tour how I typically modify the Crashed Red Ship]

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1372792339

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Not to derail the thread or anything but this is kind of a neat idea; set up a premise, release it to the public and see where it goes.

This could be a thing, if it isn't already.

3. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Cannot remote control the small grid ship due to game bug not allowing remote control to work.("Grid Control Forbidden") End of game. :(

I even ground down the whole small ship and made my own and it still says the same thing. Looking up the bug shows that its a recent error that is still not fixed.

edit:hmm.. I actually forgot the suit has remote control ability. for shame on me. It is also rather long ranged. huh.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

Oh how the simplest of things gets more interesting with no helmet... guess what challenge 3 is going to be?

These world-save challenges could be taken as stand alone challenges with my particular setup.. OR could be like a diverging alternate reality thing- I would LOVE to see how other players start-off evolves! For ever RagnaWreck is unique- as in: what would you do with the ships centerline "nose"?

5. Sich Trainee Engineer

I have started a new game with this no helmet mod, but I start on Earth.
    For the moment I'm not able to go to space.

Will probably be interesting to send modules to build a space station and then join the station.
    With airtight docking and other things like that.

6. Calaban Junior Engineer

[The challenge was going to be "heres how Im parked, barb and assailant debris all around, you try to loot it with no helmet" But for some reason the publish wants to over write the previous world.. and no amount of renaming prevents that. hmm

So, for now- challenge 3: take the ship from previous challenge, find an outpost, and go for it!] :)

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  7. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

Stop this thread immediately.... You're making me want to play again.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I loved the intro of that reminded me of the kind of dark humor you'd find in Viscera Cleanup Detail. ^^
    going to have to give that a shot sometime.

9. Calaban Junior Engineer

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Just what has “The Chad” done!?!
    --- Automerge ---
    I played through the first scenario. I added a medium storage container to the drill ship to increase capacity, ground out the wall and door behind the hangar doors, got healthy again, then jumped in an loaded up on ice. I also dumped a load of uranium, but I guess this scenario is over.

11. Calaban Junior Engineer

(FYI the drill itself holds a medium cargo container worth)
    OK, but how did you not suffocate inside the small ship cockpit?

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I played through the first scenario. I added a medium storage container to the drill ship to increase capacity, ground out the wall and door behind the hangar doors, got healthy again, then jumped in an loaded up on ice. I also dumped a load of uranium, but I guess this scenario is over.
    HAHAHAHA....I didn’t say, did I? First, I changed the ship from “station” to “ship”, then moved it right up against the ice. Then, to conserve uranium fuel, I shut everything down. Then I recycled those thruster components in the assembler to get extra miscellaneous ingots and made enough components to make two sliding doors (as an airlock). I then sort of guessed where the closest point to the ice would be and GPS’ed the location, sat in the control seat, and moved the view around to get a fix on the GPS location point. I installed the two doors against the outer hull really close to the ice pack, put a couple extra armor blocks on the inside to seal everything, and cut through the outer hull block. After having my eyeballs pop out of my head in the vacuum of space, I jetted the short distance to the ice, filled up, and jetted back into the safety of the airlock. Instead of putting the ice in the large ship O2/H2 generator, I put it into the drill ship’s O2/H2 generator. I got healthy again, sealed myself in with the little ship, opened the hangar doors, and quickly ground out the door and five blocks to open a passage for the drill ship; I popped the button the close the hangar doors, then hopped back into the drill ship’s oxygenated interior and waited for the pressure to stabilize in the hangar bay. I got healthy again, then popped the button to open the hangar doors again, hopped into the drill ship, and got a big load of ice. I hooked up to the outer connector and dumped everything into the ship’s O2/H2 generator. And that’s the way it was...

13. Calaban Junior Engineer

haha- that was the adventure description I was looking for. wow you found your own.. painful way didnt ya? -just sort of positioned the ship, and stepped outside...

I'll wait for a few more "solutions" before I describe the way I overcame the problem.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

You have inspired me to try my own helmetless crashed red ship survival. Oh the joys...

After many many deaths in sealing up the left (I guess, though I think i'll change forward later) engine pod and wondering what kind of manic decided it'd be a nice idea to not seal them in the first place, I finally had another compartment. Taking the subtle hint that a small ship would be helpful here, I made a tiny drilling drone called Green Giant in the tiny space I had left after jamming armor blocks all over the place until it sealed. Getting the thruster components was yet another suicide trip to the outside of the ship, grinding down some random thruster and stuffing the components into the connector. The thought occours writing this that I may have ground down the only forward facing thruster if the right pod diddn't have one.

One sliding door in the outer hull to get the drone in and out and I was all set, ready to go and get some ice and uranium. With a front profile of 4x4 small blocks including the sticky out bits like the camera and landing gear it is a tight fit through the door but works nicely, and I can seal up the other end of the hanger with the dividing door that was there origionally. Then it was a simple matter of standing somewhere in the sealed area with the medbay, opening the outer door from the terminal (while not dying due to the closed dividing door) and then taking control of the drone and going for a mine. Oxygen and Uranium are no longer a problem! It was then I discovered that the refinery in this scenario starts with a bunch of ore including uranium in it. At this late stage I also discovered that the reactor in the hanger pod wasn't even connected to the conveyor network. I guess that'll have to be ripped out or connected up at some point.

I plan on building a small ship seat with an antenna on it to increase the drones range, then I can go catch some unknown signal pods or mine other asteroids. Especially attractive prospect now that the small ship antennas have the full 50km range. Dunno when that happened. Make some more tiny drones to go in my tiny hanger as well, once I have a welder and grinder drone I should be able to project modules on the outside of my ship and build them remotely. That modular ship thread will be made use of yet!

15. Calaban Junior Engineer

I like how approaching the game from a completely foreign direction, in unfamiliar conditions, reveals game mechanics a player may never have even known about- even after having several thousand hours playing! Its a great enlightening revelation about the depth of this game as a whole.

For me; it was the ability to use antennas to do things on another grid: open doors, order assembler queues, refineries hopper changes, and other terminal control features (lights, airlocks, vent depress, etc)- all without a remote control. It was an ability of connected antennas this whole time!

As an example: In normal gameplay you just open the hangar doors then climb into your mining ship, and fly out. In no Helmet hardmode, that could kill you. Seemed like a problem- until I realized I could just:
    - walk into pressurized hanger.
    - climb into mining ship
    - Ctrl-K and click RagnaWreck antenna Terminal button
    - in the RagnaWreck's control terminal, I selected its Hangar Door group, and clicked open

.. all from the cockpit of my miner. huh! I could control a gun turret on the mothership... from the cockpit of my miner, out in the field. Why have I never known of that before??

16. beelzerob Apprentice Engineer

It's a shame you guys aren't recording this. I'm much more into watching than playing while I await the autopilot max speed bug fix.

You could up the ante by introducing a mod that makes dying from asphyxiation a perma-death. I'd say perma-death overall, but there are too many random ways to die in the game.

17. Calaban Junior Engineer

I can do shadowplay video/sound cap, but have no clue/software to edit out the boring parts... or even if i need special youtube licenses/whatever to upload a 4 hour video

--- Automerge ---
    huh! Never thought of that for an exit. Nice one!

(the leak location was under-inboard side of reactor- you can see space around the conveyor tube there)

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I should have mentioned that I found the leak in the first run-through when I tried to go out that way first. That room wouldn't pressurize and I suspected it was at the base of the unfinished reactor. My Mark I eyeballs spotted the sucker and I decided it wasn't worth taking the time to fix it. I went on to deal with the ice problem as I described it above.

19. Calaban Junior Engineer

I wonder if anyone has found the leak(s) in challenge #2?

Its a serious puzzle, and a serious design flaw in the original Read Ship design- with pressurization in mind

20. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Have not found any leaks (still building my tool ships) but I did find that I could be killed from walking through a door for some reason. Just walked through it and it insta killed me.

Going to have to replace those with sliding doors, they're so much better.

21. Malware Master Engineer

This is why I think we need more suit types. In vanilla. So scenarios like this can be set up without mods.

Even scenarios where you would eventually be able to find or craft a space suit... :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Calaban Junior Engineer

Yeah door upgrades was definitely in the plans- I think I died once to the auto door closer making the door cut me in half. Things got easier once I got Gravity.

If anyone knows how to publish a world save that is not an update to a previous world, I could really use the info- So I can upload the "how would you loot the outpost?" challenge 3 world. :)

23. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I like going after ships and outposts. Just me an my trusty grinder. We own 'em all!

24. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I'm finding its a really big crutch but the shield is a nice way of learning the best of way avoiding turret fire without instantly dying to 2 shots.
    figure of 8 and going pretty fast are a usual ways of dodging bullets.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=484504816

these also help as well.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1329566561&searchtext=energy

as does save scumming.

being so close to AI turrets they....don't feel as reactive as i remember.
    maybe some update a way or so back might of changed the turret rotating speed.

now my problem is grinding the captured ships away fast enough. :p

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I like to go in "commando" with nothing between my beating heart and victory. I swoop in at full speed in a big arc, aiming for a protective position to start my assault. Then I kick their ass and take their gas!

26. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

the Argentavis is quite the ship but i've found getting to the front windows or burrowing into its back is a nice way of getting inside.
    then once inside you got 1,2,3,4,5 or so interior turrets. but only the 1 large reactor to take over.
    i used to fear these ships but its all about the speed to dodge the turrets and bullets then get onto the ship and burrow your way inside like a malicious maggot with control or devourment in mind. seems capturing these ships just with tools is the best for maximum reward
    [​IMG]

27. ViroMan Senior Engineer

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Good luck doing that while with no helmet lol

29. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

A tick, maybe. But more so a Borg. Resistance is futile. I've captured several Argentavis, and all the more interesting when that sucker's tossing out annoying drones to buzz around and make life more interesting. I quickly disable the interior turrets, then take over the flight seat, flip sideways, and swat those pesky critters with my "wings". It's so satisfying.

Minesweepers are fun, too. I like to fly up its butt, avoiding that stinkin' rear turret, disable the turret, take over and arm all of the warheads (including the two behind the front bulkhead), set one to a 30-second countdown, and hit the road. The resulting fireworks are mahvelous, dahling!

30. Calaban Junior Engineer

[focus guys]

The ship as it is currently:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1378832553

Last edited: May 6, 2018
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.