Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A question regarding water?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Maximum_Matthew, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Maximum_Matthew Trainee Engineer

I’m not trying to annoy the devs about integrating water. I am just curious because I know very limited code and scripting but I understand it. Is making water a separate layer of voxel with a translucent texture that can be passed through with a speed resistance, giving each block a bouency level (timber +8 and weight -10) then surrounding each body of water in a voxel that cannot be mined or dug be a feasible way to incorporate water into the game or is there something I’m not getting? Again not trying to bother the devs, I’m just curious if that would work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Only top layer of voxel grid is generated(that's the whole idea of voxels) so if you make it transparent and no collisions, you will fall into void because there will be no other layer until you make hole in the first one.

3. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Water Voxel sounds like a good idea but the more I think about it,the more I think it wouldn't be a great idea for this game. There are some cool things you could do with volumetric water, like floods, but the focus on water should be historical use; transportation, defense, power, and scene. The cool idea of flooding a moat or irrigation channel or cavern doesn't seem as important as game play benefits of having that moat or channel or grotto full of water. Couple that with the notion that most of the obvious construction deals in cube grids and not in the gentle slopes needed to manipulate volumetric water in any sensible fashion and the whole idea becomes a bit of a mess really.
    The idea of water based on altitude may work better with the game and the planets, which already have oxygen and gravity features that are based on altitude, besides most anywhere has water when you dig deep enough, modern mines use pumps, so this is a thing already.

4. wesleybruce Trainee Engineer

We can also do water without actually doing surface water. I'm working though the Modding guides now.
    This would be Gutters, aqueducts, and Stuff at each end. These should be just normal blocks.
    I am planning a Water Spring as a in world water source but rain should also fill gutters.
    Crafted things would be: Putty (clay + oil) plus gutter (wood), Water barrel, Aqueduct (stone), Channel (Dirt & leaky), Sluice (metal parts), Spout, Gargoyle spout. In most cases these things have a dry, wet, flowing, full state. The barrel may count flowing as half filled.
    The challenge will be getting slopes right and compatible with the other blocks.

Flows & fountain: Both work like ropes but only vertical. Except for the flows and fountain you don't see the water out side the block.
    Advanced water would be a Water Wheel! Siphon, Airwell (deserts), Trompe [Roman refrigeration], Water pump.

I can't write code easily, dyslexia, but I can see what the code is doing and can model stuff.
    Any help would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maximum_Matthew Trainee Engineer

I agree with what you said but I’m talking about having water on the planet in the form of lakes and rivers(non-flowing rivers). Yeah I can imagine that volumetric water is near impossible for this game so I was thinking that the voxels surrounding the body of water are impossible to dig up or mine. That would eliminate the need for water the flows and such because you won’t be able to open up passages for it.
    --- Automerge ---
    Then would making a separate layer in which different physics apply to dynamic grids and characters? Basically I’m imagining a separate “atmosphere” if you will, that would apply a negative force to the movement of small grids depending on surface area as well as factor in its weight, but in this area blocks would have different weights like the timber has a positive weight to simulate buoyancy. Is this feasible?

6. Cetric Junior Engineer

This deprives the idea to have water in the game of half the possible fascination. Waterways unchangeable? How very boring. I get the most of thrills concerning water out of the notion to work with water in forming the landscape, like filling a moat, building piers and harbor facilities or doing irrigation systems for agriculture.
    --
    The other half is about using water as energy source for milling or for carrying boats, for providing the resource 'water' for increased crops production or - if we ever have lifestock - nourishing our farm animals. Also as the 'tool' for extinguishing fire - if we ever have fire (a dynamic siege weapon).

7. Maximum_Matthew Trainee Engineer

Then would making a separate layer in which different physics apply to dynamic grids and characters? Basically I’m imagining a separate “atmosphere” if you will, that would apply a negative force to the movement of small grids depending on surface area as well as factor in its weight, but in this area blocks would have different weights like the timber has a positive weight to simulate buoyancy. Is this poss
    You would still be able to make piers and harbors... My example disabled the altering of the surrounding voxel, that means you can still build there and make docks and such. You wouldn't be able to fill moats or use water as a power source but you could make your harbors, make and use boats which I personally, would be completely satisfied with such an feature.

8. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

If it was a blanket layer of atmosphere ( this could be slightly asymmetrical given horizon distance to be more level under plains and more curved under high mountain) you would just dig down and make your moats, harbors, lakes, 'waterever' :)
    The buoyancy, yeah, that'll take some work.
    For water current, maybe something similar to the SE Nanobot factory; instead of sci-fi sprites there would be ripple sprites and instead of moving inventories it would have to add force to mimic 'flow'; regionally 'clockwise' or something simple ( with the checking and the triggers and animation and oh my!) . Once you had the water you could make the waterwheel (kinematic, right?).
    Sounds like a lot of work, if the api even allowed for most of it. Not sure how much you can do with atmospheres.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.