Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A reason to attack cargo ships.

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Kahlas, Mar 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kahlas Trainee Engineer

After playing the game for awhile now I've come to realise that cargo ships, while a nice idea, are lacking any reason to really try and attack. Unless it's a player induced idea that has to do with self imposed role play rules or just for the thrill of attacking a something with your attack craft.
    So I was talking to a friend of mine trying to figure out ways to make attacking cargo ships more desirable, and perhaps necessary. My though on the matter came up with the idea that cargo ships could carry elements you normally cannot mine inside their cargo containers. Tungsten, Neodymium, or whatever other elements seem appropriate. The idea here is that you need these rare, unmineable, elements to build upgraded machinery. I figured they could be found both in special ores that need to be processed first or ingot form. The idea is that you build new components that are needed to build the same types of items we have now but in an upgraded form. So Neodymium could allow the production of better motors for upgraded drills and grinders and such. Tungsten could be used for better cutting wheels for the same applications as well as be used for better bullets and armor. The ideas here are about endless and don't have to add new features to the game while allowing a new set of advanced tech.
    Inherently this would give you a reason to want to take on cargo ships without obliterating them while not forcing you to in order to play the game.

2. Morbophobie Apprentice Engineer

And where have the cargo ships these materials from? Why do you have to make the game more unrealistic than it is anyway?
    If you mine asteroids near you, at some point they will be depleted - you could move on (lot of logistics and other hassle) or capture ships for resources. So what's the point?

If you really want to add some Roleplay flavor to them, you could make them have random bluepints from the workshop stored on their computer hard-drive. (You could just download those blueprints - but if you want to, you can say, you do not download anything, because there is no internet in your ingame world) And your only source for "foreign technology" are these ships. You can then use only own designes or these salvaged designes for your ship production. If you really want them to have some special secret data...
    You can have luck and the ship "drops" a good, well-designed blueprint, or just some crap someone posted on the workshop. I would support something like that, since it is nice and easy to implement and introduces you to some designes of other people, but nothing unrealistic like special cargo-ship-only materials.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  3. Kahlas Trainee Engineer

You're missing the point it feels. The whole idea is to have a resource in the game that is superior to normal ones that comes from the cargo ships giving them a non roleplay point. These materials I'm talking about would allow you to build better items but only if you had resources only obtainable from cargo ships.

4. Morbophobie Apprentice Engineer

Some weird T2 materials that make items better. Which is unrealistic and something typical for Roleplay games.

5. Kahlas Trainee Engineer

Well currently I don't see any reason to bother capturing cargo ships since the material gains are nothing compared to just mining. Is adding a reason to attack them so terrible an idea? Not to mention expanding the mechanics of the game.

6. AndreyKl Trainee Engineer

Depends on the speed of your grinding vessel))) You can build an 10*10 miner for asteroids and you can do 12*8 grinder for mining haulers and business shipments.

7. Orange_Slime_ Junior Engineer

I like this Idea, Balanced but still a good way to have exploration AND random ships, especially if blueprinted ships have some advantage over normal ones, Like slight (1-3%) increase in armour strength or power generation?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.