Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

A thought on what DLC's need.

Discussion in 'General' started by doncdxx, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

All these DLCs need a bit more content to feel worth it. Mainly, I would suggest Keen add some sort of mini campaign with each DLC. Not centered around the new content, but definitely showcasing it. People don't want gameplay barriers in multiplayer content, but a story mode for single player or small co-op would add a lot more value to each DLC.

On that note, a continuing campaign would make a fine DLC series. A campaign with a few hours of gameplay each, with a continuation to the story released each month. If each monthly episode were only $2 each, players joining several months in wouldn't be too daunted by the price tag of catching up. Preferably it should be planned for small group co-op since a story is best shared with friends.

Cosmetic features are nice, but something to do with each DLC would be better.

2. Malware Master Engineer

The problem with that is that it requires far more resources to do. I'd rather they continue using the major resources on the free stuff. The DLCs are - as they're quite open about - simply a way to let people support the continuing development of SE. So, naturally, there'd be a limit to how much resources they can allocate to those, or they'd just be supporting the development of the DLCs... that doesn't feel right to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

@Malware
    Indeed, that's a solid point. I guess the validity of my suggestion really hinges on how well the DLCs sell. If the DLCs are selling well, then they're doing well enough to support further development. If they're not selling well then they need to up the content per DLC and my idea would be good, since the main request people have made for the devs is more to do.

I know I'm buying the DLCs despite the fact I'm not really interested in their content, only because I want to do my part to support Keen going forward. I'm not really sure how many other people are doing the same. Heck, I don't even know if the people disappointed in the DLC content are a majority or if there are people excited for these things.

I hope heir current model works out for them, but if not, my idea is a solid one for helping them improve their revenue stream. After all, how many man hours does it really take to make a campaign?

4. Malware Master Engineer

@doncdxx First of all - apparently they are selling well. All of their DLCs have, from my information. I can't prove that to you though, so, well :p

Secondly - I want campaigns too. Very much. But... how many man hours to make a solid one? Think about it. You need to write a story - if it's gonna be something continuing, you need a longer story, you must build structures/sets, write scripting logic and so forth... then comes the testing: the more complex the campaign, the more rigorous the testing. It all adds up very quickly. There's a billion and one ways a campaign can break. Just look at the ones they've already made. Do you really want to pay for campaigns that is as fragile as those? You'd expect them to go through better testing for something you explicitly pay for right?

Campaigns are full projects, not just something some guy can be put to alone. And no you can't really compare with some modder with all the time in the world to make his campaign exactly as he wants it - and no other responsibilities that can get in the way :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

That's good to know. From the trash talk I've been seeing, I've been worried they haven't. It really gives me hope for the future of the game. As for the campaign thing, well I'll have to give it a try when I get done with my current project. That part of the steam workshop is almost empty and that had me worrying the game's momentum had all but died.

6. Thrak Junior Engineer

The current style of DLCs will sell well if only because of their relatively low price point. I'd love to see a campaign or quest-oriented DLC... two words: Expansion Pack. Something I'd pay an additional 9.99 or even 19.99 for.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.