Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

AAM - Ariel Aerospace Manufacturing | Taipan Fighter & Tujiu Dropship Released

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Dwarf-Lord Pangolin, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

oh my...

we really need to go to war or something.

Edit: it seems you're already occupied in that department. hmn.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

This is pretty much just me rambling aloud, so feel free to ignore it and skip to the pretty pictures.

So I made a decision that I've been contemplating for a while: I'm going to rework my ship classification system and combat doctrine.

The system I've been using dates from SE's earlier days, and enough has changed since then that a lot of my thinking is no longer valid. Much of this has to do with PMWs. When I started designing ships, any ship that carried a shield-piercing PMW with a decent magazine size had to be enormous; I've put a picture below of my first shield-piercing gun to give you an example of what I'm talking about. Within my designation, a Cruiser was the smallest vessel practical that could carry a worthwhile PMW; this is why the Longsword class, which I never finished and which Whiplash has taken under his wing, was so frikkin' massive (I've also added a shot of one of the five chambers its original main gun had; this is back when we still relied on the grinder release system).

Since then however, PMWs have completely changed: they can be guided, they can be welded aboard the ship, and large numbers can be stored very efficiently (the Donau was largely an experiment to see just how compact you could make a ship carrying them, hence its glass cannon nature). The Gladius partially reflects this; the initial versions had a static magazine that was much more compact (and safer) than either rotor or piston-based ones, and the Mk. III finished the trip to welder magazines.

But the Mk. III was released only about a week or so before the other great change to SE concerning ships: thruster power. Initially, huge ships with huge guns moved very slowly, so the fact that the unguided projectiles would take a long time to hit their target initially wasn't a problem. You ended up with big ships that could bombard the enemy's base from far beyond stock weapon range; the two main counters to them were either another big gun, or a group of smaller FACs (theoretically, you could also swarm them with conventional ships, but anything with a gravity gun that big could mount masses of turrets). But once ships became much faster, a change that's here to stay regardless of ion balance thanks to hydrogen thrusters, the main idea behind my cruisers finished its trip to obsolescence.

This also completely invalidated the idea behind my frigates, which were supposed to have the firepower of a cruiser, far less ammo capacity and durability, and speed comparable to a destroyer. The changes to the game made that idea superfluous; even a corvette can pack a decent PMW loadout now, and thruster buffs made the lack of armor a con without a pro.

So yes, a lot changed -- but those changes worked both ways. The ship class that I used as my basis is at least as viable as it initially was. Fast Attack Craft these days can be faster and lighter than ever, and can carry guided weapons. At its most basic, a FAC is a tug with a spring in its step, a bad disposition, and a big ****ing rock in its hand. Because FACs will always be the cheapest ships to build that can do long-range, physics-based damage, they are still what I base my system around.

The long and short of this is that I'll still use FACs, I'll still use corvettes (most of which won't carry PMWs; they'll be designed around targeting strike craft or providing close stock weapon support), I'll still use destroyers (to intercept FACs; a bit faster this time though, and with PMWs of their own). And I'll still be using cruisers, but with a much smaller main gun and a decent number of guided PMWs. They'll be smaller and faster than the Gladius, and won't feature exclusively heavy armor. In short, they'll be much more reasonable ships.

They also won't be named after weapons, which in hindsight was a really random break from my geography-based naming system for the rest of my ships. ???

I'm also contemplating changing my faction color back to green. Despite being featured later, red is actually what I planned on using when I got SE; it had been my color in StarMade, and you can actually see it in my earliest SE screenshot (ahh, that skybox and that armor texture!) But I just can't get a decent maroon red that works in DX11; they all look washed out. So I'll likely go back to green. :p

And, since my new cruiser system is supposed to be a "go anywhere, do anything" type of vessel, it needs one more addition: a landing craft.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

So, the landing craft ended up being too big to fit on the cruiser; more on those shortly. But the cruiser turned out OK.

[​IMG]

Shanxi Guided Missile Cruiser

Specifications
    Manufacturer: Ariel Aerospace Manufacturing
    Mass: 7,473,645
    Powerplant: 630 MW (42 small reactors); 192 MW reserve power (16 batteries)
    Gyroscopes: 30
    Time to max velocity: 20.4 sec
    Acceleration: 4.9 m/sec^2
    Maximum jump distance: 668 km
    Armament: 1 30,000 kg main battery, 6 Goryo Mk. II launch tubes, 12 fixed rocket launchers, 14 missile turrets, 10 gatling turrets, 54 CIWS turrets
    Cargo Capacity: 53 small cargo containers
    Refinery Facilities: No
    Assembler Facilities: Yes (2)
    Medical Facilities: Yes (1)
    Artificial Gravity: Yes
    Small Craft Complement: NA
    Length: 215 meters
    Width: 72.5 meters
    Height: 22.5 meters (27.5 w/antennae)

"Let your rapidity be that of the wind, your compactness that of the forest.
    In raiding and plundering be like fire, in immovability like a mountain.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"It's about time."
    -Admiral Yvette Zhou

Perched at the edges of the solar system, the Uranian Confederation's population and resources are far too small to hope for success in any potential war of attrition. This, combined with a more relevant need to combat local piracy, has resulted in ships that tend towards the fast and maneuverable -- and occasionally heavily armed -- but which are rarely particularly robust. Exceptions to this rule, such as the Gladius, are rare. Within the triad of mobility, firepower, and protection, Ariel Aerospace Manufacturing's ships lean heavily towards the first two while neglecting the last.

The Shanxi is an attempt by AAM to balance that triad.

Following an extensive analysis of its ship classification system, the Confederation determined that its former range of cruiser-sized vessels were far more massive than required. Those vessels would be reclassified as dreadnoughts, while frigate-sized ships would be reclassed as cruisers. Additionally, any new cruisers would incorporate more recent developments in military doctrine, and would be employed appropriately. Thus, while technically a "cruiser" like the Gladius, the Shanxi is more accurately a successor to vessels such as the older Caspian. However, it is thoroughly unlike either.

The differences are readily visible. To begin with, the Shanxi does not feature the overwhelming main gun of the Caspian or Gladius; it can only fire a single round at a time, and that round is smaller than those fired by either ship. However, it is still capable of penetrating over three layers of reinforced armor, more than the majority of ships carry; any vessel boasting more armor is unlikely to be able to intercept the Shanxi. On the Shanxi, the main gun is intended principally to give the ship the ability to punch through heavy armor at close range, and open up enemy ships to allow rockets to damage the interior.

The bulk of the cruiser's long-range firepower comes in the form of six dorsal launch cells for Goryo Mk. II anti-ship missiles (though the launchers are also capable of accomodating ECM missiles or other designs as well). As with the Donau corvette, the missiles may either be guided individually by radio communications for precision attacks, or by quantum entanglement for greater range (though AAM has serious concerns about its supply of entangled pairs, and does not encourage reliance upon them). The use of guided ordnance makes the Shanxi far more deadly at longer ranges than either the Caspian or Gladius were; each shot may cause less damage, but each shot is vastly more likely to strike.

The cruiser also mounts four rocket launchers in the bow; in an unusual move for AAM, it also possesses four broadside launchers on each lateral face as well. AAM noticed that forward-mounted weapons tended to be damaged beyond the point of usefulness relatively early in engagements, and added the broadside mounts in an attempt to offset this.

Firepower is rounded out with forteen missile turrets to engage enemy vessels at close range -- although it is still considered preferable to destroy targets beyond their range -- and ten gatling turrets to ward off enemy strike craft. Eighteen clusters of three point defense turrets each provide excellent protection against missiles, as well as boosting its defenses against fighters.

In addition to being heavily-armed, the Shanxi is also capable of enduring a considerable amount of damage. The external surface is predominately light armor, but this overlays mutliple "bones" of heavy armor running the length of the ship, which connect with each other at a series of "ribs". These, combined with distributed power and attitude control systems give the ship deceptive durability; it is entirely possible for one flank of the ship to appear to be shot nearly to pieces, while still remaining fully capable of deploying its main weaponry.

While care was given to granting the Shanxi respectable survivability, the element of mobility was not neglected. Under ordinary conditions, the cruiser can reach its maximum speed in a mere twenty seconds -- and if the hydrogen-based emergency thrusters are activated, this can be cut down to sixteen. It is a testament to its speed that while the cruiser is not designed to land on any celestial body, it is nevertheless fully capable of achieving unaided escape velocity with its aft thrusters from lunar bodies. Care has been taken during the design process to give the cruiser better maneuverability than most large U-Con ships; its reverse thrusters give it impressive braking ability, and the maneuvering thrusters allow it to move laterally comparatively rapidly.

The Shanxi's design process has resulted in a vessel that is more rounded than most large U-Con vessels, but it does still follow the general outline of Confed military doctrine: enemies are to be engaged at extreme range whenever possible, and at short range should be engaged head-on to take advantage of the vessel's heavy armor nosecone and reduced forward profile (changing the angle of the bow will allow the enemy more shots at the ventral and dorsal surfaces, but it will also give the missile turrets better angles of fire). The result of this process is a powerful, durable, fast vessel that is likely to serve as the Confederation's workhorse for years to come.

- - - - - - - - - -

User Manual
    Fire the main gun by using the timer labelled "Timer Block - Main Gun 1." Just trigger it. It is already set up on the captain's chairs in both the navigation deck and the command center. That will fire a round, then reload the gun. Be advised, there is a bug right now where the game will sometimes delete the round immediately after the merge blocks detach.
    Use the guided missile launchers by

1. turning on the desired projectors; you can either load Anti-Ship Missiles (ASMs) or decoy missiles (ECM)
    2. turning on the welder group. Turn it off after the sparks stop.
    3. You can either guide them directly from their remote control blocks, or you can use the program block labeled "Programmable Block - Fire Control", with the argument set to "WHIP" -- that uses Whiplash141's awesome guidance system to steer them remotely. Like the main gun, the captain's chairs have all of this set up on them already. :3

Note: there is currently a bug in Space Engineers with the air vents. Pasted ships will not remember actions that have been set for the vents, meaning you will need to reset these manually if you paste this in. :( Each airlock's vent should be set to turn off/turn on the airlock's outer door.

MMaster's brilliant Configurable LCDs is listed as a requirement, but it'll work without it; it just won't be as cool. ;)

• Like Like x 6
  4. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

I think I found your new mascot ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I may genuinely have to use that at some point.

First new SSTO is out; it started out as the front end of a Witchwind that I lopped off, then got a bit more polished. This will probably be the permanent replacement for the old Percheron; that was meant to be a bottom-line, basic space-truck; this is more of the same, just with surface-to-orbit capability. Think of it like the shuttle from the Escape Velocity games, which you really need to play if you haven't already.

And yes, I named it after a duck. Quack.

[​IMG]

Eider SSTO Transport

Specifications
    Mass: 41,362 kg
    Powerplant: 15.64 MW (14 small reactors, 2 batteries)
    Gyroscopes: 2
    Armament: NA
    Industrial Equipment: NA
    Cargo Capacity: 3,375 liters
    Refinery Facilities: NA
    Assembler Facilities: NA
    Medical Facilities: NA
    Artificial Gravity: NA
    Length: 11.5 meters
    Width: 8.5 meters
    Height: 3.5 meters

A popular vehicle in the Uranian commercial and industrial market, the Eider is a single-stage-to-orbit transport capable of ferrying both its pilot and a small amount of cargo to and from the surface of any rocky celestial body. As an SSTO, the Eider features both air-breathing engines and ion thrusters. This makes the craft able to perform multiple flights without refueling on hydrogen; while this can be a considerable advantage when time is short, the vehicle is dependent on rarer (and more expensive) uranium; however, consumption of uranium is so minimal that a small amount will last a while.

The vehicle carries a single medium cargo container, although additional items may be carried in the docking connector itself, as well as the cockpit storage unit. The Eider is rated for lifting at least five metric tons from Earth's surface to orbit without straining itself, although in the middle reaches of the atmosphere it will briefly slow its ascent.

Unlike its smaller cousin the Tern, the Eider is a single-variant design; a dedicated atmospheric version would not make sense, as such a role is already filled by the Fulmar. Nonetheless, private owners have been known to remove undesired thrusters to tailor their Eiders to particular environments. The Eider is particularly popular with independent shipping captains, and has largely replaced the aging Percheron as the go-to vessel for spacers on a budget.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Krougal Senior Engineer

NICE!!!
    Very space shuttle-y looking :D

7. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Thank you! I'm glad you like it (and that's a relief; I was going for space shuttle-y). :woot:

It also has a smaller sibling, which I wanted to finally push out the door today; more of the same, really, just more compact but without the cargo space. I've been using the atmospheric variant in my survival game, and it's been working pretty well; it's a good first ship to build. I'm hoping the singe-stage-to-orbit ability comes in handy later; I expect being able to get up and down with a minimum of fuss will reduce frustration.

[​IMG]

Tern SSTO Personal Transport

Specifications
    Mass: 22,283 kg (Base model)
    Powerplant: MW (10 small reactors, 1 battery)
    Gyroscopes: 2
    Armament: NA
    Industrial Equipment: NA
    Cargo Capacity: no dedicated cargo capacity (connector/cockpit storage available)
    Refinery Facilities: NA
    Assembler Facilities: NA
    Medical Facilities: NA
    Artificial Gravity: NA
    Length: 9.5 meters
    Width: 5.5 meters
    Height: 3 meters

"From the surface to the stars -- at a stellar price!"
    - Tern series tagline

"Looks more like a sanderling to me."
    - Bernard Yakimura, AAM CEO

At the furthest extreme of AAM's aerospace craft are the massive heavy lifters -- ships like the Hyperion and the Atlas, ships that can ferry all the components needed to build a corvette from surface to orbit in a single journey.

At the other extreme is the Tern, which would comfortable fit in an engine of one of those titans.

The Tern is AAM's smallest single-stage-to-orbit vessel to date. Measuring less than ten meters long, the ship has only one function: move one person and their personal items from A to B -- quickly, quietly, and efficiently. To do this, it uses turbine engines to gain sufficient altitude that its ion engines can take effect, then uses those to boost beyond the atmosphere. As with the Eider, the vessel requires no hydrogen; and, again like the Eider, its network of small reactors require a supply of uranium.

The Tern has no dedicated cargo space, and AAM delicately describes attempts to convert the craft to a cargo-carrying vessel as "inadvisable." Whether this is from genuine concern that the Tern's small engine array will be incapable of lifting much more than the pilot into space, or an attempt to make customers buy the more expensive Eider, is unclear. Regardless, pilots may still store a small volume of cargo in the connector and cockpit stowage area.

The Tern comes in three variants. The first is the base model, with SSTO capability; this one can work equally well within a planetary atmosphere or the outer reaches of the solar system. The second and third are exclusively atmospheric and vacuum capable craft, intended only for a single environment; while these are more limited due to specialization, their performance in these environments is higher than that of the primary variant.

The Tern's compact size means that it can fit into very small hangars, making it popular with captains in need of a small personal transport that doesn't consume valuable cargo space. It has also been used for less savory purposes, as ease of storage is the same as ease of concealment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

The CEU Navy's Long Range Scanners have detected heavy industrial activity in the far reaches of the Solar System...

Braced for incoming awesome!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'M NOT DEAD.

YET.

Also, between the scratchless armor textures, the new skybox, and the mostly-fixed LOD levels, SE is looking damn sexy right now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

But PMWs are :'(

Very sexy ship btw :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

:(

Though, I'm wondering if the missile launchers would work. The new launch tubes have the missile right up against the welders. So, if MERGE BLOCKS WEREN'T BROKEN STILL, I think it would work.

First they came for the timers, and I said nothing.
    Then they came for the merge blocks, and I said nothing.
    Then they came for the welders, and I said nothing.
    Then they came for me, but I'd already gotten fed up and buggered off to Avorion.

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Yeah, I managed to squeeze 8 launch tubes in the Komodo this way, but they were very clangy and angry. I settled for a 6 tube system with welders on each side for a bit more stability.

Bahahaha this is glorious!

We should put this into our signatures :D

Here is the Whiplash edit :p
    "First they came for kinetic damage, and I complained.
    Then they came for the timers, and I complained.
    Then they came for the merge blocks, and I complained.
    Then they came for the welders, and I complained.
    Then they came for me, but I'd already gotten fed up and buggered off to Avorion."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

damn dwarf, 24 missiles :). Looks like a nice rotor displacement welder layout too!

14. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

Did I miss something?

15. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

34 missiles, actually! If you look closely at pictures of the sides, port and starboard each have 5 launchers! We're gonna fire ALL THE MISSILES!!!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

There's an anime girl. Then there's a Multiple Launch Rocket System. I have so many questions, like why is she wearing a Victorian maid's outfit? why does the MLRS appear to be static mounted on a piece of I-beam? Why isn't she deaf? why is it not an M270? or a grad? or a BM-27? or a TOS-1? Why is there a moisture collector? So many questions.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Some googling reveals that it appears to be from an anime called Infinite Stratos. I refer you to the TV Tropes page here.

For myself, it leaves only more questions.

18. Timberwolf Apprentice Engineer

That gif reminds me of the cruiser from advance wars.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

By god. that TV tropes page. Why, Japan,

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 2
  20. carnivore Apprentice Engineer

I'm glad you're still here! In all these years I don't think I've ever talked to you, but I've admired your work since the beginning.
    It's funny seeing your comment about changing back to green, since originally my stuff was green, but then I saw your green stuff and it looked so good I said, "This guy deserves green." So I changed to blue, and then you changed to red!

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Veritas Apprentice Engineer

Don't mind me being inspired by your Witchwind to design something similar (but smaller, more to the scale of the SR-71).

• Like Like x 1
  22. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

RIP Advanced Wars. We still miss you.

23. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Once I realized that Xocliw had made good on his promise of fixing merge blocks (~swoons again~), I sat down at took a look at my backlog.

Then wished I hadn't.

This is gonna take a while. One of the things I've been working on is refitting the Donau to modernize it. As part of that, it's getting a small hangar for a scout variant of the Viper, as well as hydrogen thrusters to let it operate in a planet's atmosphere. It's only got 3 tanks, so it can't do that for long, but it should certainly be able to drop out of orbit, do a couple strafing runs, and then withdraw. Preferably though, you'd send the Viper down (it's a military remake of the SSTO version), have it mark targets, then hit them from orbit with missiles. Speaking of which, it now has 4 launchers instead of three, as well as four rocket launchers instead of two. It's almost a pocket destroyer at this rate, though it's still just as squishy as before; don't take it in turret range if you can avoid it.

And now, a gif of launching the Viper!

• Like Like x 3
  24. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

Oooooohh. If you want the viper to actually be able to designate targets, you could probably work something up with Craig Perko's Ratatosk script and a designator. AFAIK Whip's SACLOS scripts can't read off an LCD panel- but some of Alysius's do- and I'm sure Whip could work something out :p

• Like Like x 1
  25. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

I'll have to look into that, once the backlog is clearer. My unfortunate tendency towards alt-itis in MMOs seems to manifest itself within Space Engineers in an inability to stop making new things. :/

Forgot to mention on here, the Haast (speaking of new designs) is out!

The Haast is my take on an attack aircraft; it's tougher than my other fighters, has only limited dogfighting ability (though the turret helps), but can carry a lot of rockets (32 by default, up to 80 with my stock rocket pods), and can opt to carry PMWs. It doesn't have the huge payload of @Whiplash141's Shortbow or Peregrine, though.

And I'm revisiting the Eider. This is mostly a cosmetic update; it'll be sleeker, the back end won't be so messy, the paint is now the appropriate civilian blue since we really don't want civvies running around in JPF colors, and the power system is exclusively reactor-based. I wanted it to look like the Kgori, since the Kgori is based off of it; but since I made the Kgori later, this needed to be updated to incorporate the newer aesthetics.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Released both the Taipan and the Tujiu (name changed, since @Whiplash141 pointed out that it was death on keyboards).

The Taipan is a space superiority fighter; all heavy armor, pantloads of gatling guns, and six gatling turrets. It also has two tanks of hydrogen, and can hit max speed in a little over 10 seconds despite massing almost 160 tonnes. Apply directly to your opponent's face.

[​IMG]

The Tujiu (vulture) is a dropship a la the Pelican (speaking of which, I'm an idiot; I called it a gunship on Steam. I go fix). It's got turrets to protect itself and shoot infantry while unloading/loading, and heavy armor on the underside. It can go from space to surface and back, and thanks to Whip's scripting wizardry, the engine pods can rotate and be controlled by the normal movement keys. This means you can point the engines back for more zoomies or down for more lift.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Where tha links at fam?

28. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

... deeeeerp.

29. Whiplash141 Junior Engineer

Shoot me the raw images of ur cover pages :)

30. Hale Trainee Engineer

I'm amused by how you've created some fluff around your creations and how you made the first post look like a sales catalogue.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.