Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

about the new asteroids... are the old ones going to disappear?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spets, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Spets Master Engineer

with the new asteroids they are adding in the next update, does it means the old ones are gone? I mean, I have a few words using the old asteroids as a base, are they going to be deleted from my world too?

2. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

me 2. lots of old memories, I would hate to lose.

3. Cetric Junior Engineer

Don't think so. Change is about spawning a new type of celestial bodies, or groups of them, in the form of asteroid clusters. Existing ones are not touched. If I am right, we have to imagine them as an additional spawn variation, not abolishing an existing one.

4. Roxette Senior Engineer

I just hope there will be less toroidal (donut) and similar bizarre and silly shapes. Whoever wrote the original code for procedural asteroids must have been smoking some good shit at the time...

5. Malware Master Engineer

Or, it's simply because those are cheap base shapes to generate... ;) They're fully procedural, after all, that takes time. The more complex shape, the more time. The new system fixes that by using and combining/subtracting predefined models instead. Which, of course, will lead to slightly less random shapes, but... hopefully and from what I've seen... better shapes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I agree. Enough with the toroidal asteroids! I’d like to see hyperboloid- and lemniscate-shaped asteroids.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Well. I asked a couple of times about how the procedural system works and I guess giving a one paragraph explanation was asking too much. So as far as how the clustering function works... who knows. One of the many Keen-isms that makes no sense... because reasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Einharjar Junior Engineer

As of today with the update, Marek's blog post may have answered your question more officially:

"New asteroids are implemented for all new games since the release date. Old, saved games will not have this feature enabled.

No more space donuts!"

https://blog.marekrosa.org/2018/10/space-engineers-airtightness_23.html

So apparently, any old worlds saved will not use the new asteroid generation.
    Reading the details from Marek, it sounds like they did over haul the generation to a point that old asteroids and not compatible with games using the new ones. The good news is, old saves wont overlap the currently saved asteroids with the new ones so your old asteroid bases should be fine. The bad news is, all old worlds (old as in, anything pre-patch release as of 1.88) will not use the new asteroid system. So if you're intending to continue a save and experience the new asteroids? You're out of luck. Gotta' start a new game.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Clustering is cool... but what about using different algorithms for asteroid placement? Currently asteroids spawn in predictable placements and regular frequency. Being able to have them occur in exponential frequency from the origin point would make for better game play (such as the further you go out the further apart asteroids are). Being able to spawn multiple asteroid fields with their own parameters including maximum distance from the origin point, ore types and frequency would go a long way.

I don't want features like that because they are "cool" but because they would make game play more competitive and strategic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Spets Master Engineer

ok, yeah no worries, the old prefab asteroids I put in the old worlds still there :tu:
    the performance update is incredible too :tu:

11. Inflex Developer Staff

For clarity, new asteroids will spawn only in new worlds created after patch 1.188.
    Asteroids in old worlds will stay as they were without any change what so ever so don't worry, your bases will stay intact :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Spaceman Spiff Apprentice Engineer

I was hoping Keen would say, “All your base are belong to us.”

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Roxette Senior Engineer

It's right there in the full terms and conditions of the game license, but phrased differently. :p

• Like Like x 3
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Now that the feature is released, is there any information regarding setting up clustering on servers? Are there any new settings for the config file? I believe there was only one setting which was either entirely off (no asteroids) then a few steps related to density between procedural asteroids.

15. Inflex Developer Staff

In vanilla, you can set the asteroid density (for new a worlds), rest like asteroid size, clustering, ice cluster spawn ratios and other setting is automatic.

Optionally, the source voxel maps are moddable so you can change what kind of asteroids are generated in the world by utilizing mods.

16. AlfieUK4 Trainee Engineer

The only difference that I can see for selecting old or new asteroid types generation is the <VoxelGeneratorVersion> in the save file so is there any valid reason not to change this in old saves to get the new asteroids? I've tried it on 2 old saves and seen no adverse affects, new asteroids spawn, old asteroids that have been drilled remain the same (because voxel maps are saved) but maybe I'm missing something.

17. Inflex Developer Staff

Some of the asteroids you've visited before and marked their location (possibly cos of ore) but didn't touch will be missing now. Stations that you've build on asteroid might appear inside a voxel cos of changed shape (again if you didn't drill the voxel) and in rare worst case the game might not even start at all cos some new asteroid spawns at location of some dynamic ship which will immediately clang out after the load.

Sure, in most cases it will just work, but we can't guarantee smooth transition in all worlds out there in the wild so that's why we didn't opt to auto-migrate worlds.

If you feel like taking the risk, fine, go ahead and change the generator version. Nothing worse than what I've just said will not happen so if your game starts, you're most likely fine.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. AlfieUK4 Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the quick response.

I'm fine with accepting that there is a potential risk, take backups, and test appropriately, just wanted to make sure that it wasn't going to cause something truly gamebreaking later on :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Using mods, is it possible to control or influence the ore make-ups of asteroids?

Being able to control the ore content, being able to spawn multiple procedural asteroid fields (with adjustable size limits) would go a long way as far as making interesting and strategic maps for multiplayer or challenging single-player. Scarcity makes for strategy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Inflex Developer Staff

There is not direct API for it that would allow you to modify the asteroid generator directly, BUT with current API, it's possible to work with asteroids (and complete voxel maps) to a degree that skilled modder can achieve basically anything.

• Like Like x 1