Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Acolin System - A completely colonized System

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Sarekh, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Top of the evening to you fine folks!

IT IS FINISHED!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1161854472

A complete solar system with multiple settlements and stations as well as an own back story! Every room is filled, every screen has a meaning, no block-mods, you can play this all vanilla if you want to.

This is Version 1.0 of an explorable world that you can visit in survival or creative.

It features:

- Three different major ground settlements

- more than 10 different space stations

- over a dozen individual space craft

- multiple small hover crafts, planes and drones
    --------------

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:

Tons of different backstories, crafted into the world via messages, reports, orders, letters and scenes. You can visit the main settlement, Acolin City and read in the private mail of the citizens, have a look at administrative reports or flight schedules. You can find new GPS coordinates that will lead you to new scenes and new stories.

--------------

If you start in survival, you will spawn in the FTL Ring Station and be able to find a civilian FTL ship in the ring. You can use her to get to the main planets.

Most stations and ships have GPS coordinates in the remotes or in the text screens so you can discover new locations step by step.

resources should be evenly distributed among the stations and the ships.

The hub of the system is Acolin City, the main settlement on the ocean planet. You should be able to find almost all locations if you inspect the city thoroughly.

For now the ships and drones do not move as I have discovered that they sometimes crah into suddenly appearing asteroids that were not there five times before. Originally, there were a dozen or so patroling personnel transports, cargo ships and military vessels. I am considering ways to reactivate them so you can see ships passing by the switching stations and the relays.

--------------

As far as mods go I am only employing two external mods right now:
    Avalan Planet (being Acolin I)
    Rokul Planet (being Acolin II)

My internal mods are also on board - my LCD mods and my sound mod in order to show off a little bit ^^

I would dearly love some feedback!

--------------

The Acolin system

The Acolin System has two planets with habitable atmosphere, each having one moon. A system with so many planets that support life so near to the core worlds was a natural choice for the colonization program and so the Imperial Administration issued orders for controlled colonization two years ago.

Acolin I is an Ocean Planet that displays very similar conditions to the homeworld. By now, two settlements, including the system capital have been established there. Both are still being expanded heavily.

Acolin II has a somewhat more alien surface and therefore has not yet been cleared for colonization. However, the science team investigating the planet has so far not encountered any dangers to possible colonists.

After construction of the Acolin Jump Gate had been completed by the end of last year, enough materiel and peacekeeping forces were brought over to open the system up for private migration.

The infrastructure

Acolin I currently has
    A major settlement, still in construction, with a power plant, a space port and the administration as well as a large harbour
    A smaller settlement, mainly for fishing industry
    A military station

in orbit there are around 8 larger and smaller stations, from a hospital to fuel stations

Acolin II currently has
    a couple of science camps with everything you need for sciencing the shit out of the planet
    a large science station in orbit

There is also a jump gate with a military station in the process of construction
    An arbitration station (the equivalent to a court house)
    multiple com relays
    mining scenes, some things I rather keep a surprise for now and patroling military ships
    an ammunition factory on Acolin Ia

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Something I always wanted from this game; a reason to explore. Looking really good :tu:.

I have been working slowly on something quite similar though in much smaller scale as I was afraid large structures could cause problems.

My advice would be to keep your locations (most at least) quite small with minimal ammount of conveyors and other complicated blocks. And to have sensor to activate/deactivate lcd's, lights and other stuff that doesn't need to be active unless player is nearby.

I'm having the same problem with the mods. Not going to add any small grid decoration and fighting the urge to just add some decorative mods. So far I'm mostly building structures which don't require so much decoration and hope that eventually there will be vanilla decorative blocks.

I don't know if that helps as you have quite well thought out backstory. I'm planning way more backwater underdeveloped setting with outposts much smaller. My whole system would have maybe 100-200 people living there spread out in small research camps, mining sites, etc. each housing max 10 people.

Good luck with the project, I would love to start survival world in the Acolin system one day :).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  3. Carrion Senior Engineer

i do like that station. all of its very nice and also very differnt. well done

4. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Outstanding I wish i had a half as must talent as you do with buildings. :D
    I really love the damaged hydrogen thruster acting as a beacon torch..... O.O forever burning providing your colonists with heat and warmth.
    and the crossroads section of the first image is impressive as well.

did it take you long to find a flat land area on an earthlike?

5. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Thank you all so much for your kind replies :D

I think my largest structure so far is the main city, followed by the jump gate - everything else will indeed be smaller. As sensors also take away sim speed, I will prolly make the system a bit more interactive, so visitors can turn on the street lights in the night by pressing buttons, etc.

I've also decided to refrain from adding decoration mods for now, I will see where it gets me :)

I had to flatten stuff out alot and brought this into the play as well: there are flattening machines working on evening out more building space :-D

6. Sarekh Senior Engineer

A new batch of updates. I have started filling up all rooms and all texts are in the progress of being finished.
    This time you will see the arbitration station, a farm, streets being made, an orbital transport, a small harbour, the smaller settlement!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sarekh Senior Engineer

I have finally finished the first version of Acolin System!

Tons of text, dozens of grids, a stable sim speed between 0.7 and 0.8 and it should be completely survival ready for your exploration!

I have incorporated @Whiplash141 and @Commander Rotal as well as everyone who gave feedback into the background stories. It's because I like you, not because I am crazy.

--------------

If you start in survival, you will spawn in the FTL Ring Station and be able to find a civilian FTL ship in the ring. You can use her to get to the main planets.

Most stations and ships have GPS coordinates in the remotes or in the text screens so you can discover new locations step by step.

resources should be evenly distributed among the stations and the ships.

The hub of the system is Acolin City, the main settlement on the ocean planet. You should be able to find almost all locations if you inspect the city thoroughly.

For now the ships and drones do not move as I have discovered that they sometimes crah into suddenly appearing asteroids that were not there five times before. Originally, there were a dozen or so patroling personnel transports, cargo ships and military vessels. I am considering ways to reactivate them so you can see ships passing by the switching stations and the relays.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Carrion Senior Engineer

not going to lie. the dedication you have put into this is frankly amazing just from the screenshots. ill be Dl this later on to have a good wander around.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Thank you so much! I think I have sunk well over 100 hours into this! You're in there as well, by the way. I am interested whether you will find your text ^^

10. Carrion Senior Engineer

[​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    all i can say is WOW. the detail that has been put into this is amazing. everywhere that i go new and varied things to find and explore. loads of really quite nice little features that make me think. damm it why didnt i think of that.

and the text. it is really immersive. so far i think i have explored about 1/3rd of what is known. really is worth the time to have a look around.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Sweet! Nice job! Can't wait to get exploring!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Thanks so much for you kind words, everyone! Let me know if problems or errors pop up, will ya?

13. Carrion Senior Engineer

the "water" projection for the pool is out by 90degrees one pool is full one is empty. the rest of the projection is underground.
    the probe on the alien station misses the target by about a KM and lands on its side possibly because of the rough ground it drops on.

minor i know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sarekh Senior Engineer

The god damn projections.. for some reason they always end up in some other orientation if I restart a projector but at least they did not do so while active until now. Time to write a bug ticket - also, one pool being empty was a story part but I forgot to put it in. The same with the bank - I forgot around 13 stories all in all, I shall put them into the file this week.

The probe was intentional, being a half-failure, but at least it does not slam into the engine part of the station any more like it did at first ^^

Thanks for the feedback!

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

This is awesome. I'd love to work with you. I like building Space Pirate drones and programming their behavior, including worker drones. I've made a few attempts at creating drones that provide functionality to NPCs rather than just those that spawn and attack.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maybesomeday85 Trainee Engineer

Like i said in steam this is one great piece of art 5/5. Spend first day just visiting places and amazed everything you made. This would be great platform to do some sort of scenario. For example something like "Ducktrolls escape from mars".

I actully renamed antennas or added new antenna and renamed them so pirates would spawn, then turned around 80-90% to pirates and played it through like a scenario hiding gps coordinates and when i was done assaulting current coordinates i just randomly activated next ones and so on. Got good time around 50-60 hours by doing so. I took 1 miner from first base modded it a little bit assaulted first pirate base and used only materials found to upgrade my ship.

I hope keen can improve overall simspeed in game, that was only problem when i played it as scenario. With minimum settings simspeed dropped to 0.5 when pirates spawned and was around 0.2-0.3 when fighting. And i even deleted a lot of structures that was left behind to improve it but this world is just so big and has so much to explore that it started to help simspeed when i was well over halfway done.

Great work keep it up, i really love the way you do things in this game. :tu::D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Oh, that indeed would be awesome! I am dearly interested in more lively worlds where drones actually deliver stuff and do their chores.

Haha, I am completely at a loss for using the scenario editor but I have roughly 12 scenario worlds shelfed and ready to go if I ever get around to learn the scenario editor. Problem is, every time I sit down to get into the tutorial I loose all motivation to learn the system :-D

On average, I get 0.7 to 0.8 sim speed with moving grids in the system. I have not yet tested out fights there, even if it has pirates ^^

18. Maybesomeday85 Trainee Engineer

Well i hit same thing with scenario editor it got very complicated very fast and to create something that wouldnt break easily, i just though f**k it i do this my way. So i made 2 scenarios Return to earth 1&2 where you pick up coordinates from text panels and that way you know where to go next, and that adds element that you cant just blow place to pieces and then just go to current coordinates to get new one. So its basicly world which has no mods or scripted events. So that is not very likely to get broken. You could try doing that way or similar way with no scripted events, if you want to try doing scenarios this way.

Yeah i got around same simspeed 0.65 to 0.85 depending where i was. It was that pirate spawn and fights took a pretty big chunk of processing power to handle world this big, where simspeed is allready lower than 0.95+.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Smokki Trainee Engineer

What an incredible world you have made. Been playing it for quite few hours, slowly retrofitting the starter ship and exploring the first coordinates found around the starting area.

Seeing how complex builds you have there, it's a surprising the game works as well as it does.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Thank you very much!

The key to performance is no intense voxel manipulation and grid splitting - but KSH has made such a great many improvements to the sim speed as of late... during mid-construction, when half the stuff was finished, I was crawling at 0.5 to 0.6 and after one of the major updates it jumped back to 1, just like that - never came back to 0.5 again, I was soooo happy :-D

Also: care to share your modification to the starter ship? I am curious :)

21. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Just assembler and medbay so far, but I might "borrow" one of the bigger ships I come across eventually as I would also like to have refinery with me. I like to roleplay a bit so I'm not "stealing" stuff from the ships/stations, unless they are destroyed.

22. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Found me in the Sand Bay :D. I think I have explored everything on Acolin 1, time to pay visit for Acolin 1a (after I repair some damaged thrusters I managed to destroy in a bad landing at the military base).

I can't say enough how much I've been enjoying to explore and read all I can find, It's a long time since I've had this "just one more" feeling when finding a new GPS location.

I think you could improve performance even more by landing and shutting down some of the ships as them using thrusters and getting uranium trough conveyors to my knowledge is somewhat a resource hog. Also some of the builds have a quite a lot of complex blocks like oxygen farms and such which will add up to performance problems. Just some ideas to improve the performance in the future, because I would love to see even more of this :).

23. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

My 5-year-old has been laying waste on Acolin City. First she hijacked the whale ship and flew it full speed on a cliff, then continued by planting some warheads on the police station... All the while cackling maniacally. I'm a little scared.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Sarekh Senior Engineer

o.O

Weeeeeeell... better the Acolin police station than the local one, I'd say?

• Like Like x 1
  25. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Bumping this up! People MUST see this system!

You can even co camping on a tent! :woot:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.