Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Additional Length Ramps As Part Of The Vanilla Game?

Discussion in 'General' started by FireGuy1996, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Hopefully one of the devs picks this up at some point.

Seeing as Keen has started to impliment some of the most popular mods into the vanilla game, I would like to make a strong push toward having this one thrown in as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=551854023&searchtext=Long+Ramps

This simply adds much longer armor ramps to the game, all the way up to a 6x1x1. Unlocks a lot more potential for ship design and makes all sorts of unique degree angles look much cleaner. Seems like this would be something that should have been in since the beginning.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

Not that I wouldn't want longer ramps for more choices, but i'd rather not have to place 6 individual blocks... It's unlikely that keen will change the way the armor works in a way that allows you to place the long ramps in a singular piece.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Its not necessarily that I'm looking for the "ease of use" of them, but the angles that they create by being longer

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

All i'm saying is I think people would complain if they had to place the 6 individual blocks. Keen cannot just "add this mod" because they aren't armor blocks, they're considered entity blocks. Unless keen changes the way they work, I can't forsee this change no matter how much anyone wants it.

5. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

A variable drag/build for slopes ala avorion would be nice

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. FireGuy1996 Trainee Engineer

Here's a perfect example. On something like this Anchor 9 refitting station from Halo reach, the two main "stacks" (as I call them) are at a pretty odd angle. Unless I significantly scale the entire station up, I simply can't get the proper angle with vanilla blocks, and if I do use vanilla blocks It makes the slopes look like crap no matter how I do them.

The mod "war-bros longer armor ramps" is the solution, but you can see how much they stick out like a sore thumb among the rest of the armor since they don't "blend" with any of the other armor.

It simply would be nice to see the ability to have a better sloping system built into the game, weather it simply be more blocks ported in (like they did with corner lights and LCD's) or something similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GrindyGears Senior Engineer

I'm not disputing how much nicer things the additional slopes can make, all i've been saying is that they can't just directly port the mod....

The ramps don't work the same way as keen "armor blocks" do and unless keep does some major change to the way placing slopes works like Churro suggested, having to go through the hassle of placing 6 separate blocks for the biggest ramps in the mod pack is cumbersome and unpleasant.
    Then lets not even get started with the fact that these come with additional peripheral blocks like the wedges, or the corner parts.... assuming keen adds up to 1x6 ramps they would need to add: 54 new blocks to the game. Going through all them even with the scroll wheel selector could very easily lead to frustration and mistakes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

Its no different than placing block, block, block, block, 1/2 ramp, 1/2 ramp like you would be doing if you were using vanilla :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

If I have to place six blocks in order to get the shape I want; I'm placing six blocks. The other side of the coin is that with six individual blocks I don't have to use them in any particular sequence or orientation. I can create creases and interesting areas rather than flat planes. When sloped armor was incorporated into the game with 2:1 rises, the amount of detail in ship builds went up dramatically. We stopped seeing so many square ships and started getting some real detail. The longer rises would mean more detail. That's better for the game IMHO. People will try new ideas or revise older ships with more detail. It stimulates renewed interest in the game as far as the building aspect goes. As the game is still in technical limbo, placating the masses with better building options is one way to keep the masses occupied. Bread and circuses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Levits Senior Engineer

From the Depths has a particularly vast collection of block slopes and angles. Not, perhaps, the rounded variety; but any additions that would allow for better control of slopes and generally less "blocky" builds always has my vote.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

I would prefer placing 6 blocks to complete a ramp rather than one block 6 long. That way if I want to interrupt the slope or change direction part way I can do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sinbad Senior Engineer

Considering most heavy (i mean usefuly heavy) wheeled vehicles cant make it up a 2:1 slope due to lack of wheel friction, yeah we need shallower slopes. I want smooth ramps into my mines and garages that heavy mining vehicles can actually traverse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spets Master Engineer

everybody wants new armor blocks so we can make more detailed builds. But if you add even a single armor block an *Essential HALF BLOCK That should be in the game already*:mad: for example, they have to modify all the other armor blocks, every single one, all the cut lines in all the different positions possible, so faces/polygons will not disappear as it happen already with some slopes (not sure if it was fixed already)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. AdInfinitum Trainee Engineer

I'm all for more slope angles, but before that I'd really like it if they added in the missing corners and inverted corners for the 2-1 slopes. And that'd go with a half block too. They've got them for the 2 direction, but not the 1 direction

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

So they should just add all the various blocks and slopes from 1in1 through 1in2, 1in3, 1in4 and 1in5 upto 1in6 in one big job lot. All as modular ramps (i.e. a 1in3 slope uses 3 separate blocks, 1in6 6 etc. You get the drift)
    Only one lot of changes to existing blocks. Simples ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. odizzido Junior Engineer

I've been in the we don't need more shapes camp since I started playing this but a week ago I needed to get a crappy vehicle up to a location and tried using the 2x1 ramp. The vehicle could not manage so at that moment I wished we had a longer ramp. Maybe with the coming wheel changes I will go back to not wanting more shapes but right now more shapes could have positive gameplay benefits.

17. Aracus Senior Engineer

Honestly, all the reasons for why we can't have new blocks sounds like a good reason to just rework an old solution. Its about time I say! basic armor block shapes are after all, quite basic and ground-laying to ALL builds. And it shouldn't really need to be that complicated.

Besides, its not like the deformation system doesn't look like crap from time to time so while patching it up, why not rework it to allow more shapes as well?

18. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I really, seriously want to know what the big deal is with cutting the basic Armor Cubes in half and implementing that. Like, we can't modify an existing block due to time but we can shit out three dozen identical Treebeard reworks (including a Deer-version, excluding a female one), three blocks for power production (Solar, Reactors, Wind Chimes; Four if we count Batteries that magically start with 30 % charge) and can redo every single fucking block in the game, including the 75 percent that did not need an update, and turning the most important ones of those into shitty modern art looking like molten bananas, or reshaping them into almost identical boxes. Apparently.

Oh, don't get me started on time. #SpaceEngineersPartyIsOverChristmas2017

Well to be blunt half the time it doesn't even work correctly anymore, and the other half of the time it doesn't even happen because shit just phases through other shit.

On topic: i absolutely agree that the game needs more variety in Armor Cubes. Like, drastically. Not only are they paramount to getting a good look, they're also the most performance-efficient blocks in the game. If you CAN build something out of Armor, you should do it, and therefore should be ABLE to do it.
    At the very, VERY fucking least we need
    o) The Half Block. Like, there is NO excuse for that to not be a thing yet. At all. No, not that one. No, not that one either.
    o) More Armor Ramp connections. Chief among them a Wedge for the 2x1s.
    o) And i would like to see a slimmed down selection of 1x3 Ramps. Even if we only get the Ramp and and Slant, any maybe a Wedge for it; at 1x3 i can understand not going into more detailling with the connections but i do see enough justification for 3 block long ramps even at SE's regular scale. Worst case scenario give us 3 blocks for 1x3s (Ramp, Slant, Wedge) and make them single blocks like the original Ramp. Yeah, shit for performance but better than having to use mods.
    o) Has nothing to do with the topic but it's 20fucking17 and the Keen-mods not only haven't been made vanilla yet, most of them don't even fucking work anymore, removing the original justification for non-implementation which was having them be "example mods". All they're currently exampling is how to trigger me, so get on that before wasting time and money on redundant Assemblers and redundant Wind Chimes.

i need a moment.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Spets Master Engineer

I really seriously want to know too... New Armor Blocks when?

edit: I agree also, the 1x3 Ramp, made by Uncleste I think, those block add a LOT for aesthetics

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Levits Senior Engineer

Half-blocks are a given. Using the vents as a make-shift half-block is absolutely painful for my frame-rates. The fact that they've yet to add it in, despite having the physically identical vent already established, is kinda mind boggling. They went through the effort of adding the 1x2 sloped armor but still left off the half-block. The moment that block is added, I'll be forced to rework about 90% of all of my builds.

The addition of the 1x2 corner block is also needed. Right now, you cannot seamlessly connect two axis of sloped armor. So, that one is also missing despite the initial inclusion of the other 1x2 sloped armor blocks.

Assuming they get around to adding those, the longer/larger versions can be comprised of larger or single blocks for all I care. As much as having a 1x5 sloped block would be nice for whatever reason, I don't think that there would be that much need to have that broken down into 5 separate blocks. Especially with regards to adding blocks to allow each size to be able to connect to the other 1x2's, 1x3's, 1x4's, etc seamlessly. <that's asking a lot.

A half-block will tie in well with everything we have now and adding the finishing touches to the 1x2 slope blocks... maybe even a 1/4 width block that can be used as really thin armor and/or interior walls. But we still have to account for block limits and the shallower the slope the more individual blocks that will be required. So from 1x3 on up (especially if we reach past 1x4 slope sizes), I'd settle with those being one solid block.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

Main desires are half block set and a 3-1 ramp. I'd appreciate more than that, but even just a set of 3 in 1 blocks would be enough to allow smoother shapes, you just can't get a good rounded look with only 2 gradient changes, even just that additional gradient change would significantly improve the visuals of rounder builds.

22. Levits Senior Engineer

I'm a bit curious as to how many variants of blocks you'd need to get a actual sphere. I've been working on building the "Baby Magnum" from the Anime series Heavy Object and it's not exactly working out. But if I could get a sphere out of the blocks (or close enough to it), I'm pretty sure I could build nearly anything.
    [​IMG] <just in case anyone actually wants to know what I'm trying to build :woot: . Why? because the wheels set on 0 friction work perfectly for how this thing moves. PS: NEED BIGGER GUNZ and more DAKKA!

23. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

You mad, girl?

24. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  25. Chaosrex Apprentice Engineer

Yeah Avorion building systeme is the perfect building systeme, its so permissive its ridiculous.
    --- Automerge ---
    Definitavly right, always was a head scratcher for me, i mean those Thrusters/Gyros modules are soo usefull, yet not vanilla, same for the screen console and the Cannon.

Well maybe in the next big ypdate or the one after that who knows?..

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

Upto 1:4 would look ok I reckon
    [​IMG]
    If the game had upto 1 in 4 ramps built in as vanilla imho i would have original armour block, slope, corner and inverted corner (both heavy and light) in one scrollable g-menu item then for each ratio (1:2, 1:3, 1:4) have another separate scrollable g-menu item that covers all variants of that ratio. Also adding blocks that represent the various segments you'd end up with (full width, 3/4 width, 2/3 width, 1/2 width, 1/3 width and 1/4 width)

Imho I believe if there is any chance of them adding in more blocks they should sort out how many are going to be available from the go and should work all of them in thus only doing the work once (well...actually, I suppose you could say they've done it multiple times already what with how many types of armour were first available...but I digress). Some of the best features of this game tend to promise brilliant things but then don't seem fully thought out before they're included (available armour blocks, batteries, wheels to name a few imho)

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.