Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Advice on Rotating Thrusters

Discussion in 'General' started by Zhirgo, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Zhirgo Trainee Engineer

Currently I am trying to build a ship that can rotate its thrusters though merge blocks, pistons, and rotors to be controlled by WASD. However when I rotate the thrusters and retract them with pistons to be merged the ship won't let me merge them. It said that it can't because once it merges some blocks will be occupying the same space. I looked through it and there was nothing that looked like it could remotely be in the way. Has anyone else encountered this problem when building and figured out how to fix it? Also if you could point me in the direction of good steam blueprints for rotating thrusters that would be great.

2. plaYer2k Master Engineer

The problem is the rotor or retracted piston. The bounding boxes of both sides of these blocks intersect with each other.

Here is an example of how to realize it.

Though keep in mind that right side which is separated with two rotors doesnt have to be there. I only used it to have a stationary anchor so the structure doesnt move away. Also if the grid with the piston itself would be stationary, the merge block would become stationary too and couldnt unmerge and move away anymore.

3. HollowVoices Trainee Engineer

I came across this problem a few months back. I don't remember the exact details, but for the most part it's this. The problem is that both grids on either side of the rotor wants to merge the rotor(or the merge blocks, can't remember exactly) onto the same grid twice. As far as I know this hasn't been resolved. I did a work around by using landing gear on a rotor to rotate the thruster while maintaining separate grids for the merge. I didn't care for it once I realized I couldn't activate it while moving without fear of taring something apart, so I scrapped it.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.