Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Aesthetically Pleasing Docking

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Xanatos, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Xanatos Trainee Engineer

I've been tinkering with this for a while, and aside from using a LOT of mods I've only found a few basic ways to make immersive docking areas with 'airlocks' etc.
    Also, I'm avoiding landing gear, since it's basically borked at the moment :p

I'd be really interested to see if anyone has any good alternatives that make for fun or immersive docking procedures besides catwalk and connector combos that just damage my ship!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2015
  2. Maegil Senior Engineer

There is a script that makes landing gears safe; otherwise you can set up some timers to separately toggle (groups of) them on and off, eliminating the dancing and the risk of explosion.

Anyway, once I made a jetway with three joints and two extensible corridors, but the joints were basically buildings in their own right and the tunnels were two sliding layers of small blast doors moved by in-line pistons which also worked as external conveyors... That was before Digi's conveyor hinges, so maybe the joints could be done smaller now. They did not, in any way whatsoever, look like this:

[​IMG]

To prevent strong impacts, I set up several sensors that reduced the piston and rotor speeds as the docking hatch came closer to the ship's hull, and the docking itself was done by the conveyor's connectors below the airlock, plus one manual landing gear to each side.

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

You can make a sorta airlock using the maglock mod to make a combination tube and shrouded connector that looks vaguely like an airlock.

You make a tube that has a 1x1 block central passage (door optional) and on the end you put maglock pads or blocks. Just below that you have a connector on a piston (also surrounded by a shroud of blocks if you want). You need the piston to precisely incorporate enough standoff so that when the ship gets sucked in by the connector field you don't bump hulls and bust up the maglocks/tube or the ship hulls. Then you use the piston to draw the ship in to a minimum distance where their is visually almost no gap between the maglocks and the hull. So it "looks" sealed.

I can upload a basic picture this evening if you can't visualize it.

4. Xanatos Trainee Engineer

Thanks Tankmayvin, piston offset sounds like a good solution.
    I've avoided using pistons so far as much possible, but this seems like a good, stable use for them.

I've been using the Auxiliary Connectors mod so far, as that seems to increase the minimum space needed between connectors for them to link up, but there is a fairly visible gap between them.
    I imagine if/when we get compound blocks this will be MUCH easier to set up properly!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
  5. Tajin Apprentice Engineer

Instead of landing gears you can also use rotor-bases that you lock onto rotorheads. The connections is pretty stable. If you're into realism it also has the benefit of requiring more precision for docking since you have to align the rotors perfectly before you can lock them.

Also theres a mod that adds more blast-door blocks for pretty much any shape, that one is incredibly useful.:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=300571927

6. Zourin Apprentice Engineer

Extra large ships should probably just employ a shuttle to go back and forth, and stick with a cargo arm for logistics. 'Small' large ships should just land like a small ship next to a ramp on a landing pad.

I've given up on trying a functional design that doesn't look like ass. Space docking for personnel transfer is just an unsupported nightmare, save by mods.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015
  7. Mosseman Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

Large ship dock that vaguely resembles Maegil's jetway. Totally static, but a large ship can easily dock with it. Green "ship" docked and airlock can be sealed and pressurized as needed.

8. drkrieger Apprentice Engineer

That might even provide an oxygen seal due to the merge block...

9. Mosseman Apprentice Engineer

If that's a response to my docking arm, then yes, it does give you a proper seal.

10. Zourin Apprentice Engineer

I kinda like it. May need to be longer to prevent lateral thruster damage, but the fundamentals are sound.

11. Infekted Apprentice Engineer

I've been using merge blocks to establish connection and airtight blast doors to shroud it.

12. Samsonguy920 Apprentice Engineer

This is fantastic, actually. The merge block would be the hardpoint connect, the connector would be for refueling and resupply, and then the passage for passengers and crew. Everything a proper dock needs.

13. Martronix Trainee Engineer

I always put several connectors in my own designed airlocks. That way the ship gets "dragged" into the right angle easier than with just one. Saves me having to do the precision navigation.
    I usually set them up in a triangle a bout 4 blocks apart.

14. Mosseman Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

Latest design of a docking interface. This will allow two large ship grids/stations to connect, share inventories, allow players to walk from one grid to another and can be fully pressurized. The surrounding armour blocks protect the mechanism and never suffer damage from normal use (from tests I've done). Group the connector and merge block together and link power on/off button to your hot bar; this will ensure the connector is never on while the merge block is off - if it is, it will cause damage to the armour blocks.

Behind the connector is a conveyor block which acts as a seal, allows connection to the rest of the grid and directly underneath it, is an air vent which acts as part of the air lock.

• Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.