Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Airtight Hangar Doors

Discussion in 'General' started by whytejames, Jul 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. whytejames Trainee Engineer

Hey everyone,
    sorry if this is the wrong section, i couldnt find the suggestions thing, kinda new to this aha.

So a while ago space engineers released the Airtight Hangar Doors which was really awesome but one thing has just been stuck in my mind ever since. Why not have bigger hangar doors?
    Although these doors are awesome and i still love them, they cant really fit many of my small ships through them and no large ship would ever fit inside either unless it was super small and skinny. I think they should add some bigger doors so that we can have bigger hangars in bases and on board large ships, i feel this would be a very positive change for the game, does anyone agree?

2. Malware Master Engineer

Because they're not intended for large ships, just small. And Keen's idea of a small ship is probably smaller than your design, but frankly you can fit a fair small-grid size in a 4-by-n large-block opening.

Keen doesn't want to encourage large small grids because of the performance hit. A small-grid block has every bit the same performance hit as an equivalent large-grid block.

That's the logic behind it. Besides that, I agree completely.

• Like Like x 2
  3. whytejames Trainee Engineer

very true however they dont have to make them huge just like one or two blocks longer and that would be satisfying enough hahaha

4. Malware Master Engineer

There are such mods though. (I don't use them so don't ask for a link :p)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

You may want to take a look here. Don't know if this still works, but may be worth a try.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Perhaps they could release larger sizes in a DLC pack (I know... boo.. hiss...).

A 2x1x1 base that extends to 6x1x1 total length shouldn't be that hard to work out...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Been using the TVSI Tech Airtight Hangar Door Modpack for years. It came out shortly after Keen gave us the hangar door block. Within minutes of Keen's release the forums were flooded with variations of "It's only two blocks tall. You can't make a hangar door big enough to get a ship through. At least make it three blocks." @Malware is correct. Keen feared making the doors longer would encourage large small grid builds. So, within a day the Workshop was flooded with modded doors. TVSI's doors are a simple straightforward mod of the vanilla door. No update has affected it in any way.

Have fun :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. boromir Apprentice Engineer

@Malware is right about Keen's concerns. So that's enough to be warned. However, if you really want a bigger door and you're trying to do it vanilla, I built a fully pressurized hangar bay with a rather large door. This wasn't my original idea and there was a time when this technique didn't work (and some blocks still don't work with it), but you could do this.

Here's the workshop link. Operating sequence instructions are in the Hangar Bay control room.

9. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

I know this is not what most people would want to do, and you may say its a bit off topic. have built in the past large portals using the the 3x3 windows.

My bases often have 6x12 "door" using 8 windows. a projector to replace the windows, for each window pane, I built a small grid welder and grinder on a hinge (or rota )to remove/ replace windows.
    it works quite well when the process is managed with a few timer blocks.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thrak Junior Engineer

Someone in Keen's art department has missed that memo... a lot of media for the last update features some pretty big, small-block builds.

I am still using Sektan's ancient hangar doors, which still work: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=531851337

11. Malware Master Engineer

Of course. He's not a programmer, he just makes Cool Things:tm:... doesn't change the fact that Keen tries to discourage large builds, they don't disallow them :p (also, wouldn't be the first time the left hand has no idea what the right one is doing :D )

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Yeah. All of Xocliw's update videos should be marked with an asterisk and the message, "Don't try this at home. "

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The rationale is now moot with PSU limitations as well as block limitations.

14. Malware Master Engineer

And you think this will make a difference... why? :p

15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Keen's supposed belief that larger hangar doors would lead to bigger small-ships. The logic is a little daft. Small-ships-gone-big has always been a thing. But limitations on block counts and value makes small vs. large moot. If you want to build a massive small block ship, you have the same limits imposed on a ship that scales at 2.5m per block.

Having more convenient hangar doors won't make a heap of difference with in-game limits on blocks. Being able to pass a reasonable sized small grid ship into a hangar without burning up the hangar door blocks would be nice. Being able to pass large block ships into a hangar would be nice as well. I've built large block ships that will fit through a hangar door. They aren't pretty and limited to about 3.5 large blocks in height. The opening created by a standard air tight hangar door is about 4.8 meters or so... not quite two blocks.

Bottom-line... using hangar doors as a limiting factor isn't a relevant excuse anymore.

16. Thrak Junior Engineer

I can sympathize. My day job involves communication for an academic unit. I constantly vex the IT/Web people who tell me, "That's against our guidelines." The fact that my methods are effective and look good never seems to factor in their "enlightened" analysis :D
    --- Automerge ---
    Moreover, big, small-block builds run much better since the physics update, way-back-when. Keen should have faith in their fixes. Or at least the fixes which actually fix things....

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Folks need to remember that back in the day when Keen's hangar door came out, as far as staff was concerned the door size was perfect. Staff members that actually played the game found it to be quite adequate for the tiny ships they tended to build. They thought anything bigger than Big Red or Big Blue was just as insane as it was "unnecessary". If you were playing the game "right", a two block tall door was all you would ever need. Years and thousands of published vanilla blueprints later they might have a better appreciation of how WE play.

I always thought that a good vanilla airlock door would extend two-and-a half blocks, so that two opposing doors would make a five block opening. Everyone knows by now that for purposes of symmetry you have to have a "middle" block, so the span of any build will be an odd number.

Now that there is a vanilla half block, perhaps Keen might go back to the drawing board?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The logic in keeping the air tight hangar doors small just seems very flawed at this point in development. Having airtight spaces that can house a decent sized vehicle is something desirable and immersive. We do like putting our ships inside other ships... inside our bases... etc. docking and air tight hangars are a STAPLE of science fiction. It's sad that a simple block that's been in the mod world for years would be such a sticking point for Keen based on outdated thinking on the game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Bill Gates once said that 64 Kilobytes of RAM was all anyone would ever need.

Kilobytes.

(Funny thing is, when he said it, I agreed with him. Heck, 64K was a lot.)

20. Malware Master Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I swear I actually watched him saying it in a video. Maybe I was just picturing it in my head. It just seemed like he was being quoted in all the PC mags. As I said, at the time a lot of us felt that way. Programmers used to take pride in packing as much as possible into the smallest amount of code. When we got to the point where you could get an entire Megabyte of RAM on a single chip, concise code writing was over. DOS was morphed into Windows and the bloat began and no turning back. Processing speed also tended to hide inefficient code.

Keen made those doors a long time ago when they thought they were going to release soon. Their attitude has obviously changed. We've never stopped wanting a larger door, but we have stopped asking for one, mainly because the mods exist.

And, like Bill Gates, Keen never said the door was all we would ever need ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

At the time I had a whopping 128KB in my rig! And a 12-inch Princeton Graphics COLOR monitor!!! The other engineers in my office, most with Compaq portables, had some serious monitor envy.

23. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Duuude! How did you rate? Not just a color monitor... Almost better than a raise :woot:

Wait... did you get a raise? Did you get a monitor instead of a raise? They never pay engineers right.

Wait... sorry. Did I mention I used to run a Union? Old habits.

I had a TRS-80 Model I, eventually with the expansion and two floppy drives. The expansion had enough memory slots to get me to 64K, the most that model could ever hold. No worries because just one of my floppy drives could hold 340K. Then I found out if you cut another notch across from the original one, you could flip the disc over and get another 340K. I had two drives. When I had all that I really thought there was no way I'd ever need more, other than the expansion could handle 4 drives. In a lot of ways I still think that was plenty. Depends on what you want to do, I guess :D.

24. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Everybody in my engineering world back then had to buy their own rigs...everybody except accounting, and they always gave themselves the latest tech! Punks!! Anyone on the outside would have through they were bringing in the revenue. It wasn't until years later than companies started supplying computers to their employees.

(BTW, I should have mentioned that my rig back then had a 30MB RLL hard drive! I spit on all the losers with none, occasionally a 10MB drive (if an IBM XT), or only 20MB. I had to talk like a crazy man to get my wife to agree that buying that computer was a good thing (I used the logic that my enhanced job performance would ensure I got better-than-average raises; that assertion, of course, was never proven). Ah, the good 'ole days.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Calaban Junior Engineer

I wonder how many kbits ram my Atari800XL has... (320 sector 5.25" floppies that never wear out, anyone?)

I wonder what a 1984 floppy intact file of Montezuma's Revenge goes for nowadays? Or an 87 Rescue on Fractalus?

[hey wow! 64K!! I luv being relevant]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  26. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Timex Sinclair 1000 with 2kilobytes of memory. Yes... 2!

I did graduate to the C64 a few years later.

27. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I still have the original Madden NFL game on 5.25 floppys.

28. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I still have the original Wolfenstein 3D (all 6 episodes!) on a single 3½-inch floppy, the original DOOM on four 3½-inch floppies, and the original DOOM II on five 3½-inch floppies! Oh, yeah!!

29. Calaban Junior Engineer

I have Joust on mini cartridge [wins]

30. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Bah!

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.