Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Alien Worlds

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Dakroth, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dakroth Apprentice Engineer

Played on an alien world the other day and had a few points of note come up. First, and I think this has been addressed elsewhere, though I know not where, Lots of nickel, cobalt, silicon and uranium, but not a whole lot of ice... I haven't explored the ENTIRE planet yet, but thirty kilometers north of my base near the equator, up in the mountains, still no ice readings. This would be fine in a multi-planet system where your faction is able to harvest ice elsewhere and ship it to the ground to supply the mining effort there, but it makes starting on one a bit of a problem.

Second is the Tarantulas. For some reason I had developed the idea that they were more of a wandering threat than a pop-up-wherever one. (It was probably the Haloween teaser. Made me think that there were caves or burrows where Tarantulas spawned, sort of like pirates from pirate bases.) First point on these guys is that popping up from any point on the ground, including inside your base if it is built on the ground, is kind of annoying. Mostly the inside-the-base part, though. I had several instances where my truck was flipped by emerging spiders that subsequently died from technically having a several hundred kilogram vehicle sitting on top of them. I don't really have a possible solution to this other than that perhaps instead of popping up anywhere, the spiders emerge from a burrow that can appear anywhere, but is otherwise a static feature, maybe that can be destroyed by rockets or something.
    The second aspect of spiders I noticed is the ease with which they are killed when you have any sort of turret around. Turrets set to attack "characters" will fire upon and instantly kill a spider the moment it begins to emerge. Essentially, this causes a single well placed interior turret to completely neutralize the spider threat within its 800m range. Again, no really well developed ideas on how to fix this. Making the spiders stronger overall makes them a lot harder for a player to kill, and I'm not sure whether having them be 'selectively strong' against turrets would be a good idea.

Anyone have any thoughts?

-Dakroth

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. tech_op2000 Trainee Engineer

I personally Like that my turrets can wipe an attacking horde of spiders out easily. Take a Gatling gun to any animal on earth(people included) and they wont last long! A possible solution to the spiders spawning in a base problem is setting their spawning script to not spawn within a certain radius of Blocks.

3. paradineai Apprentice Engineer

I agree that they should be set to an adjustable spawn distance from station blocks.
    Then again if you build your base on legs and make a liftable ramp to drive on (2 rotor or 2 piston) then you can drive up/down then it lift up to keep the spiders out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Xakthos Apprentice Engineer

If you build underground do they spawn through the walls?

5. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

They don't pathfind up ramps yet anyway, one of the reasons I lasted as long as I did on the Alien 'Easy' Start.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.