Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Allow CloudLayers textures to be completely opaque so Gas Giants can be modded in

Discussion in 'Modding' started by vorneus, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

You may also want to mention that right now custom clouds in a workshop mod are not possible at all. The game isn't loading the textures - transparent or not.

2. entspeak Senior Engineer

Have you reported this as a bug?

3. Captaindan Apprentice Engineer

Gas Giants would be looking so fantastic in Space.

4. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

It's not a bug. The feature was just never implemented. If you try to do custom clouds in a mod you'll end up with a black texture in place of your cloud textures. This is the way it's always been.

5. entspeak Senior Engineer

They mention custom clouds textures specifically in the mod guide. If it's not working, it's a bug.

6. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

UPDATE: Ok everyone, I spoke to the renderer guys today. They are now aware of this and will create a ticket to allow custom clouds as a workshop mod. This would then allow you to have completely opaque cloud layers if you like :),

• Like Like x 8
  7. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Awesome news! Thanks :)

8. Captaindan Apprentice Engineer

YAY!!! Thank you :)

9. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

Nooice!

10. entspeak Senior Engineer

Yesssssssss!!!!!

11. Dragon0G Junior Engineer

You know, this gave me an idea... the atmospheric entry effect mod could be made ridiculously powerful for gas giants to simulate the pressure. :p

• Like Like x 1
  12. entspeak Senior Engineer

I suppose that might make being stuck in the gravity well something interesting rather than simply splatting on the core.

13. Lord Bhael Apprentice Engineer

And that just gave me an idea. What if excessive gravity caused damage to the player (and maybe it does and I just haven't experienced it yet)? There could be rare materials on the surface of gas giants that you cannot get anywhere else, but you would need remote vehicles to mine and return with. I thought I read not too long ago about a massive gas giant exoplanet where they hypothesized it might rain diamonds due to the extreme pressure and high carbon atmosphere.

14. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

I'm so ready for this feature to be implemented. Been messing around with cloud textures and figured out that it's pretty easy to make one of these. I was able to whip this up in Paint.net using just the default features (no 3rd party plugins):

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Looks good. Have you though about layering? I.e. a small opaque one to mask the voxel core; a massive opaque one for the external shell and several normal ones in between.

16. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

I'll probably start with an opaque shell and one or two normal layers above it for variance. Won't really know what looks good until they get the feature implemented I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

What ever happened with this?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hotshot Jimmy Senior Engineer

This would be cool as hell, no news?

19. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Seems not :( I'm on the bus so I can't go to Xocliws twitch stream. Is anyone on there to ask him now?

20. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Asked in Xocliw's stream (12 Mar) and it's in the list of things to add, it's just a low priority so we'll have to be patient.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DaveC9000 Trainee Engineer

At this point I'm just going to go ahead and assume that this isn't ever going to happen. Too bad too because this was a very small tweak that could have brought a huge amount of new planets into the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Maybe if other's bug him in the stream and here we might get somewhere as I think he's fed up of me asking. It's almost like a running gag by now :(

23. malteins Apprentice Engineer

BTW Would you happen to know when vegetation modding will be fully supported?

24. Xocliw Public Relations Staff

Sorry everyone, there has been so many other things to work on, especially in the rendering department but I will see if I can get an update for you.

25. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Have to say that gas giants would be pretty amazing. Really hope they become a reality.

26. Prime Trainee Engineer

Ah I want gas giants so badly, it'd be great to have a reason to travel around from planet to planet more. Have to travel to a gas giant to gather HE3 to fuel your fusion reactor/fusion tube drives. Be awesome. Almost as awesome as some sort of enemy AI planetside, that expands across the planet and puts your in danger. You know, enemy marines and tanks and stuff, instead of just cyberdogs. But I digress, gas giants!

27. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

I've been doing my best to get the attention of Xoc and the devs that pop up in his stream so they are definitely aware of this request. We just need to sit tight now and wait to hear if its possible and also if it's something they want to add. The best thing to do in the meantime is to 'agree' or 'like' the OP so that they can see a lot of us would like this ability added for modders. Fingers crossed :)

28. Telion Trainee Engineer

Um ok, so i'm not really a planet modder, but i have dabbled a bit with limited success (none). Anyway, plaYer2k showed off how you can create a solid black texture that will appear from all sides . Now he immediately dismissed his post when he realized this was a texture error but i do believe that he was onto something. Now being able to remove the hard lump of rock in the middle was the first step to gas gianthood, which has been achieved before and can be demonstrated nicely by งง Two Snake's workshop submissions. But the massive problem is this occupancy issue. They look great from the light side but if you go to the side or back there is nothing there.

So let me turn us to real life. In space what do you see when you look at the dark side of a planet? Answer: Nothing - well not nothing a black sphere on black, but that blocks out stars (see where i'm going?). Now you guys want solid colour gas planets but I don't believe you need them, I believe (and this is where i look like a prat if i'm wrong) that all you need is plaYer2k broken black texture as a base for the planet, and then use the multiple cloud layers (that from the workshop guilds it seems you can create) to make the textures and "colour" for the planet.

If I am stupid wrong, then please tell me (i may cry for the first day but i'll get over it).
    If you want clarification, because I can't spell for my life (and the grammar is not strong with this one) then well the same applies and i'll also try to clarify the point.
    If on the 1 in 1 million chance that happens 9/10 times i'm right! Them please "make it so" and we can all be happy and go home.
    Ps! Secret answer D if I'm right but it looks c**p then well i refer to answer A (IM STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

29. entspeak Senior Engineer

If it's a texture error, I don't know that we'll be able to reliably reproduce it. It is an interesting idea. Why remove the core? Gas giants aren't entirely gas. Jupiter, for instance, has a core.

30. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

I hope that idea works Telion, gas giants would be a fantastic addition to the game. Entspeak, gas giants do have cores but you could never reach it. You would be pulled apart into your component elements before you got close. Jupiter for instance has a core of super compressed, super heated hydrogen because it's actually a star that failed to ignite. In the game I think (if it's even possible) you would have to have a small core and an ultra-destructive pressure mechanic to make sure no one could ever fly a ship into a gas giant and reach the surface, since such a thing is impossible in real life.

For me the real question is, since the core could be smallish and perfectly round (and therefor easy to render?) could we make gas giants with truly massive diameters, like 5000km or more?

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.