Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Alternative artificial gravity layouts for ships

Discussion in 'General' started by MedwedianPresident, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. MedwedianPresident Trainee Engineer

Most SE ships are designed with the artificial gravity direction being perpendicular to the thrust axis.

However, wouldn't using the thrust axis as the gravity axis be more realistic? This means that the passengers feel that they are flying upwards, not forward.

Or how about different gravities in different parts of the ship?

What are your ideas and designs?

2. oleando Apprentice Engineer

Do it, there's none stopping you (except keencode) from creating what you want, it's rather simple as a design also.
    Maybe the only thing that would make me rethink this design is the absence of ladders, else it would be even more viable and commonly seen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Acolyte Apprentice Engineer

Its not that the floor is perpendicular to the thrust.

Its the way it is so the pilots' face is towards the direction of travel when he is in the pilot seat.

So your design alternative will need to manage this elegantly if it is to succeed.

4. SF-1 Raptor Junior Engineer

I believe the larger ships The Expanse are designed this way.

5. AlchemicalAgent Apprentice Engineer

I have a large freighter with this design. The forward-facing cockpit is in the ceiling, facing "up" away from artificial gravity.

6. Me 10 Jin Apprentice Engineer

I had a large ship design a while ago that had 3 decks with different artificial gravity. "Down" was always towards the center of the ship. I did this to minimize the use of stairs (I have yet to see a stairwell in SE that isn't butt ugly).

7. oleando Apprentice Engineer

More importantly i'd like to see rail barriers for stairs, it's always a pain to chose which block to use as a rail.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.