1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Animation Friendly Rig Setup (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jakejud, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Jakejud

Jakejud Apprentice Engineer

Waiting for updates can be hard, so I made myself busy with the construction of this Rig today

[​IMG]
    I have no idea if we able able to bake in our own animation to the character yet (i will try tomorrow), but I was thinking I would try to create a few humor based, sort, animations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is very late, i will post more pictures, information, rig-reasoning, tips(if anyone asks), and references to tutorials i used to brush up oh skills, tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Just touching up the Texture set up to make it more animation and maya friendly(would need to re-apply originals before exporting back into SE).
    ALMOST done (as in making it look good for renders in maya)
    [​IMG]
    I would use soft shadows but I'm on a laptop, and each one of the high quality Renders takes me about 20 minutes already ahaaaaaa.
    CHANGES
    Skeleton: Added a COG(just renamed and moved one already in the skeleton that didnt seem to provide any purpose) <---this is just personal preference.

added extra toe joint to each foot, this was need to be able to apply a technique call Reverse Foot Joint (a set of 4 joints used with IK solvers and other controller constrains). With the RFJ it is much easier to animate a leg/foot into complex positions.
    EXAMPLE
    [​IMG]
    Moved elbow and knee joints slightly, just enough to get a vector for the IK solvers.
    I moved the thumb joints, I used my hand as a reference and i have long thumbs..... but its easy to animate! I also found a thumb joint in one of the hands was not bound to the skin, it is now. The Skin weights on the left thumb where not applied (no big deal in game when the character is right handed). but when animating its nice to have it all skinned, so it is now.
    Skin weights:
    A few skin weights where off, one in particular that was attached to the knee, and it was located in the stomach. It provided a nice spike while the knee was bent.(i have not noticed this is game)

The Skin weights on the left thumb where not applied (no big deal in game when the character is right handed). but when animating its nice to have it all skinned, so it is now.
    SEE!?
    [​IMG]

Adding Colors to left,right,center, and skeleton (makes it easier than when everything is the default blue)
    [​IMG]
    As soon as I am able to figure out how to export this whole rig properly, i will upload the files for anyone who wants to use it.
    Edit:still trying to figure out how to export, ik constrains are proving to be quite a problem. The great google god doesn't seem to have anything for me either. If I don't figure this out by tomorrow, I'm going to post my maya file, I don't think its very compatible with anything else besides maya. If anyone knows how to export complex RIGs to be used in other programs let me know.

2. Kamoba

Kamoba Senior Engineer

Ohh yes please.

3. RedPhoenix

RedPhoenix Moderator

Awesomesauce. Love the render with the gold.

4. marek_rosa

marek_rosa Developer Staff

5. dominichello

dominichello Apprentice Engineer

Love it! looks great! ill take a sneaky download soon as you upload it :)

6. vrz999

vrz999 Trainee Engineer

nice one!

7. DarkGhost

DarkGhost Junior Engineer

8. GalaxyMeridian

GalaxyMeridian Apprentice Engineer

Jakejud,

Great work! :):thumb:

9. xMoneyShadow

xMoneyShadow Apprentice Engineer

I tried to do something like this a few months ago in Blender. I didn't get much attention, but yours is definitely better

10. JD.Horx

JD.Horx Senior Engineer

they look great! wunderbar! ;)

you really should upload them to the artwork section on steam!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.