Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Anti griefing mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by kitsunelegendXx, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. DDP-158 Master Engineer

It's not a may work, it's a does work, and it's far better than magical walls. anybody can throw down $20 for a server but it takes effort to make a good server. the first step is making it a more exclusive club or else...well, we already know what happens when any Joe is allowed to enter.
    The op is right, we have to sleep, we have to work, we have outside duties to attend to. many of us are in the same situation and we can't be available 24/7. but if you create a server and find individuals who are looking for similar playstyle it becomes more fun for everyone and who knows, you may even make new friends. casual pvp is the term here. if 2 people want to have a seige they can sit down and discuss times for when they're available. maybe spice it up a little and say anywhere outside your home is free for all.
    For those who can't afford their own fancy server, it's up to them to decide if they want to find a server of like minded people or deal with a scrub server and just accept that they're shit will never be left alone. that's just the way it's been since these small multiplayer games started coming out.
    Magical walls will lead to someone building a wall around your wall before moving on to the next server. 7dtd claim blocks make that impossible, but it really sucks when your friend stamps one down and it takes you 8 times as long to make repairs to a base because they don't recognize teams. damn you manawar. static archer turrets are great but a player may either out range them or dig under them (still like the idea though). the basic premise is that griefing and anti greifing is a never ending game in itself. the first and best line of defense should be you and what you can do.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

Whitelist Servers work for already connected communities of players. It can be difficult to grow a community when trapped behind the 'acceptance' wall. Most people trying to play on a server are going for instant gratification/play.

So you can have a whitelisted server, but very slow (or no) growth. There's pluses and minuses to it, same as the griefing portion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DDP-158 Master Engineer

Like I said, effort. you need to advertise a safe server. my rust server ended up with 12 people, 9 of which I had never met before, and we had a good time and I got names added to my steam friend list. you can continue arguing the merits all you want but I'm just saying here, one of us currently has wrecked shit and one of us doesnt.

4. Helaton Apprentice Engineer

I wasn't saying your way was better or worse, I was just saying there are pros and cons to that way.

5. Udrakan Apprentice Engineer

Public servers still need this offline protection, whether whitelisted servers exist or not.

6. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

As I said before. What KSH does with this.. should be minimal. In fact all they should do is API hooks for mods to use. Let the modders design the terms and conditions tailor made for each server. A one size fits all from the developer simple isn't gong to work when you have potentially hundreds of servers with different playstyles and needs.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.