Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Any way to tell ore patch size?

Discussion in 'General' started by Derek Lewis, Mar 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

After detecting an ore patch, is there any way (mods included) to tell how big it is, short of digging it all up? Or digging a lot of sample holes all around?

2. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

There was a mod that could do that, but it's broken. Or at least I couldn't get it to work. Actually, it was a script, not a mod, but it used a special block to display the size and type of ore deposit. Was not performance friendly.

On a planet I would drive my mining vehicle until i detected ore, and then I would drive around slowly in circles until I found the edges.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

In general, unless the ore is really deep (which is often the case for silver and gold, and sometimes cobalt), you can reasonably map out its area by running around the ore region with your drill out while monitoring your HUD. Set GPS waypoints at a bunch of the boundary locations (i.e., the furthest points out where the drill indicates that the ore is straight below you) and you'll get a good idea about the size of the ore field. What you won't know is the depth, and only a downward shaft will give you an idea of that magnitude.

4. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Well lets be honest though, the "how big is it" question is generally answered by "more than you'll ever need".

I've been meaning to dig out an entire cobalt deposit just to see how much it is, just out of curiosity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

So, you're saying the game provides too much ore?

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The asteroid deposits are usually hemispherical in shape. I've cleaned out several of them down to rock (it's interesting that the ore detector still shows the ore as present, even when it's stripped to bare rock), especially when I'm getting uranium ore.

7. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

On the one hand it would be easy to say yes, but if they establish trade and an economy then perhaps there will be a use for it. But otherwise how many times has a player needed so much cobalt, nickel, silver, silicon, or platinum that they cleaned out multiple deposits? I think at most they just need to change how much ore gets burned producing ingots. Gold seems to be a good balance, lots and lots of ore only yields a small amount of ingots. That'd be a detailed conversation about every ore, and it might be dependent on whatever kind of economy we get.

8. Kalantris Trainee Engineer

From my experience that is exactly the case especially since it's actually faster and easier to mine rock in abhorrent quantities for iron, nickel and silicon than finding those deposits. The only downside to rock-based economy is gravel trash obviously, but that's a minor nuissance if you can mine 1,5 thousand tons of rock in a minute or two and be done with iron, nickel and silicon for the rest of your days. All you need is other rare deposits and I heaven't found anything to be on short supply with the sole exception of gold if you need a lot of superconductors or ice on Mars if you invest heavily in atmospheric hydrogen vessels.

9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

A lot depends on your settings. If you're playing in realistic mode, than it's not quite as easy to mine enough rock "...for the rest of your days." Personally, I prefer going for the deposits. What little time I spend finding them is far outweighed by the quantity of ore I get going straight to the source. Then I don't have gobs of gravel to dump. Besides, I'll always have to find magnesium, cobalt, silver, and gold somewhere, so why not go straight to the iron, nickel, and silicon deposits that I find along the way? They're certainly plentiful.

But each player has their own strategy, and should do what they believe works best for them. There is no exact way things have to be done in this game.

10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I play as a mining company. There are few ore deposits that I will pass up whether I "need" them or not. I am (essentially) mining ore for other people and meet my personal needs in the process.
    Why does Keen have to establish trade and an economy? It seems to me that the first person on a multiplayer server would find more than enough ore for themselves and would be able to leverage that when newer players come along, especially if those newer players hate mining as much as most players appear to. That is and always has been the basis of an economy.

Oh, I forgot. Video game economies always involve make up currency based on nothing and NPC banks. Game developer has to do everything :stare:. No wonder no one knows much about economics.

11. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

In the long run with this kind of game it's the best way of establishing a gameplay loop. It would also mean adding more stuff for players to buy: new block blueprints, new components, ore, ingots, skins, ammo, etc.

12. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Is a gameplay loop necessary for SE? I'm actually not sure what that means, and it doesn't sound like something you strive for in a sandbox game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Well technically SE already has a survival gameplay loop: Start a survival game, play for a while, build yourself up, get bored, start a new survival game, build yourself up, get bored, start a new survival game, repeat forever. The problem SE runs into is that you can do so much in the sandbox they've created but there isn't really any point. Creative Mode is more about, well, creation. It's loop is: build a thing, blueprint it, build a thing, blueprint it, etc. But survival is different. It's about reaching milestones and building yourself up... but there is no ultimate destination. You just keep going until you get bored. There is no endgame. That's what survival needs now, a perpetual endgame.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You know, this does seem to be the way many, many people play SE. Many, many people. People playing in Survival Mode tend to get bored after their builds get big. Kind of an "All dressed up and nowhere to go" syndrome.

A lot of people, including the staff at KSH, believe the solution is an "economy" made up by the developer that provides "currency" to pay for the things you find, which you can use to buy things you don't want to build, or to obtain rare things you can't make. They believe this will work because it works in "all the other games".

Except, it doesn't work in all the other games, and none of those other games are quite like Space Engineers.

The real solution, if it exists, is not the subject of this thread. If no one else does I may start a thread because it's time we talked about "breaking the loop".

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I remember this occurring for me after a couple hundred hours of “survival” scenario play. I remember thinking, “Is this all there is? What’s the purpose? Do I just keep expanding my empire? Why?” It was disheartening, to say the least. But then I discovered “creative” mode and starting really creating. Now, after several thousand hours of playing, I’m thinking I want to explore the multiplayer world a bit. Finding the “right” server is my current challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  16. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Regarding the economy point, there´s that famous quote from the "True DNA" (Douglas Noel Adams):

“This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.”

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/70702-this-planet-has---or-rather-had---a-problem

17. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

I've been finding shallow ore patches that I quickly mine out. I went through three or four patches of uranium like that, until I found a large deposit. (Conveniently located about 100 meters deep in an asteroid.)

18. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I've seen similar deposits. The big ones are deep, which is why I always build conveyor sorters into my drill ships to dump the stone.

19. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

It is true though, most of the time the deposits are more than what you will ever need, except for that one ore you are needing badly, then that will be the one that takes forever to find. :) Once you do find the deposit, it will then become more than what you need of it. :woot:

20. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I'm a merchant miner. Even if I was on fire I couldn't have too much ore.

• Like Like x 2
  21. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Stardriver907 for those who aren't merchant miners. I should have clarified. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.