Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version [Extra] --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Anyone with black screen update look here!

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by opethbtbam, Nov 17, 2016.

1. opethbtbam Tester KeenSWH Developer

Hey everyone! We’ve had several reports of a recent black screen bug when launching the game and some of our users have discovered a few things that solve the problem. The first is to delete your .cfg and ShaderCache folders. These files can be found in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\SpaceEngineers (Note: This is a hidden folder, which you can learn how to reveal by running a Google search on how to show them for your operating system). Another thing that seems to be interfering with launch is the audio format settings. You can see instructions on how to change these in the video below. The 24bits 48000Hz setting seems to be solving the issue for many people, but configurations may vary from person to person.

If you go through the steps above and find that the problem has not been fixed, send an email to support@keenswh.com for further technical support.

EDIT: Hey guys, so with the release of beta, it looks like certain builds are having this problem for an entirely different reason. We're currently in the process of working on a fix and keeping an eye out for any workarounds. The issue isn't occurring on any of our computers (which range from below minimum requirements to high end), so if you're seeing this problem and the above fix isn't working, any logs you can provide (SpaceEngineers.log, VRage-openVR.log, and VRageRender-DirectX11.log) are appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  2. Gromit

FYI, you can access this folder directly: press the [Windows key]+R then enter "%appdata%/SpaceEngineers"
    No need to learn how to reveal the hidden folders, this will work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JimTheSoundman

I'm having this problem anytime I try to adjust any of the graphics settings ingame.

I have sent a message to support@keenswh.com as requested above.

4. Nogrim

this problem just popped up with me after last update on windows 10. the update seemed to work fine (a few crashes here and there) i think there was a windows update on friday night, and after that the game just goes to a black screen with music playing.

have been unable to get the game to start ever since, if tried the .net repair tools and deleted the .cfg and shader folders but it had no effect.

if it matters i get the cursor and music for about 10 seconds and then those disappear and it just sits at a black screen until i alt-tab and manually kill the process

any further suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  5. haximodor92

None of those method above works for me. I have already delete the file and my speaker's default option is 24bits 48000Hz.

The game is still in black screen on launch. There are audio playing and if I click the right button(blind click) the game response. But no graphics.

Try to switch back to stable branch, everything is fine. After switch back again to dev, black screen issue appears again.

6. BiZZ Keryear

Have issues with SE and ME ... not exactly a black screen, but only the backdrop ... no animation, no menu, no anything. It does react to key presses, though (sound..means I can hear the menu action). Any screenshot I try to make results in a black one or in one that shows what is behind the window.
    Have tried to reset sound to another of my cards which actually allows me to use these settings (my headset only allows of 16bit 48khz max), doesn't help.

7. Nogrim

oo i hadnt thought to go back to stable, i assumed it was a system issue since i was able to play the patch for the first day, hmm i guess it means it was one of the micro updates that came on friday/saturday then...

update: so going back to stable helped but did not fix the problem.. in stable branch i can get the menu to load but it crashes when loading the new game scenario.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  8. OMoo

Today's update causes this on the launch of every world (at least the several one's I've tried) on the stable branch. Please look into the issue because I can't play.

9. opethbtbam Tester KeenSWH Developer

OMoo,

I've just made an edit to address this. A ticket was created for the issue.

10. OMoo

11. Megadrew

Hello opethbtbam,
    I have a windows 10 operating system and I can still hear the sounds after launching, only the screen is black so I can't do anything.
    My laptop has far above the requirements to run the game.
    I have a Nvidia GTX960M.
    I have tried the solutions you have listed above, and much more.
    All the drivers I have seem to be up to date.

SpaceEngineerers.log

VRageRender-DirectX11.log

VRage-openVR.log is blank.

I appreciate any help you can give. I don't know if it is helpful, but my launch before copying the log was in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

Thanks,
    Megadrew

12. ChinPokomon

Hi,

I have a black screen at launch too.
    On my side the game seems to stay in windowed mode.
    I'm seeing the game cursor on a black screen and the taskbar, I can hear the game music.
    I'm on Windows 10 on an Asus N550JV laptop with 8GB of RAM and a Geforce 750M.

Here are my logs :

Thanks in advance for any help.

13. JimTheSoundman

This issue is fixed for me now, due to the Dec 15 update.

The odd thing is it DID NOT happen on DX9, Stable, or Scissors, but DID happen on Develop, Rock, and Paper.

I hope it doesn't happen again. Very unpleasant to have to sit out a month because the game is broken.

14. et studios

I fixed a back screen issue on launch, it happened after I changed resolutions in-game (the game crashed, and when I restarted the game it was black screeen)
    I went into Nvidia control panel, went to manage 3D settings, went to program settings, found space engineers, set to run on integrated graphics, clicked ok,
    opened game and it worked. Then I went to graphics settings in-game and reset to 1080p (original scale of game) and then set is to run on the Nvidia card in-game.
    Hope this works for you all with Nvidia GPUs, if you have AMD I'm not exactly sure how to do it, but it should be possible.

15. ChinPokomon

I've tried your solution, not working for me.
    The game still failing to switch in full screen and still display a black screen with just the game cursor.

BTW thanks to share your tips ;-)

16. thesillyrabbit

Does anyone know if this has been resolved yet? I just bought the game a few days ago and haven't been able to play at all. I have tried most of the posted tips without any luck. Hopefully the developers have been able to work on this issue.

17. Nik_kit

Please check my report. I have problem with black window
    --- Automerge ---
    Problem solved. It is necessary to change the screen resolution on your desktop for less.

18. Seth Washburn

Change the screen resolution down to 1680 x 1050 and it works!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Qwasyx

Same problems for me, changing my 4k resolution down did not help.

20. ChinPokomon

It works for me too (I have set the resolution in 1600x900 on my side), thanks a lot Seth !
    I'm wondering if there is a way to keep W10 in 1920x1080 and launch the game in 1600x900...

21. TOFUSQUARE

So mines the opposite, its white i know what caused it but know i cant see to change it back. the cause is i tried to switch it to windowed mode so i could move it to 2nd screen(TV)-Via HDMI but it froze so i closed the program and when i reloaded it completely white ... i can click on things but i cant see.

22. Matteo

Hi,

I encountered this bug on my first game launch.
    I tried to solve this bug following some procedures founded on web without success. Here are listed what I did:
    1) I deleted SpaceEngineers.cfg
    2) I deleted SpaceEngineers.cfg and the ShaderCache folder
    3) I added this string in SpaceEngineers.cfg to run in window mode because my file does not have any item related to the screen mode
    <item>
    <Key xsi:type="xsd:string">WindowMode</Key>
    <Value xsi:type="xsd:string">0</Value>
    </item>

Unfortunately, It did not go in window mode
    4) I tried to run the game without steam overlay
    5) I tried to run the game as administrator
    6) I checked if the game is run with my Nvidia instead my integrated card and it is fine
    7) I changed audio setting as in the open post

Some useful information of my configuration:
    System Hardware: I have a laptop with a Nvidia 970M and an integrated card
    Gpu Drivers: they are updated

23. guxlar

I had same problem and that workaround solved it. Thanks.

24. Matteo

I solved it reducing the screen resolution like others. I hope that there will be soon another workaround or patch to play the game also with an higher resolution.

25. Qwasyx

Small update from my side: It is NOT the resolution that fixes it. It is the scaling from Windows 10. If the scaling is bigger than 100% it has this bug.

So if you want to play with your high resolution just adjust the scaling while playing the game and hoping for a fix. (@Keen you can try to replicate it by increasing the scale factor in the monitor settings in windows 10)

26. guxlar

I confirm that too: The problem is solved if I set the scaling back to 100% (I normally use it at 125%). Thanks Qwasyx for the tip.

27. Skingken

Same here, I changed my scaling from 125% to 100% and now it works. Thanks Qwasyx for the tip.

28. I23I7 Tester KeenSWH Developer

Hello,

So guys there seems to be an issue with black screen. If you are Windows 10 it is recommend you try and change your scaling setting to 100% this can be done by right clicking on your desktop and clicking on display settings. A new window will pop and there should be a slider bar that read: Change the size of texts,apps and other items: 125-200% change it to 100%(Recommended)

If you are not running Windows 10 and still have this issue. Send me a private message titled: IMPORTANT BLACK SCREEN STILL HAPPENING! Also if you will message i will need to be able to get into contact with on any form of communication media so that we can fix this hands on.

There was also certain cases where running the game in a compatibility mode helped to address the issue.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year!

Also ask around for Laggindoor,Slytherotor,Clagenclaw and Fixxenpuff ;)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  29. Iomega0318

Hmm interesting, I didn't even know this was happening.. Considering I never change my display scale resolution and it's always at 100% may be why.. but I also play with most of my games set to Full Screen Windowed so I can use other applications without alt-tabbing.. It's probably another Windows bug which would not surprise me at all and not entirely if at all related to SE.. but then again SE is full of bugs ???

30. Aoi

Win 10 strikes again!