Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Are AI drones bugged?

Discussion in 'General' started by SilentShadow, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

It's been quite a while, but when approaching ships in SP they often spawn an AI drone or two. I'm the past these downs would head towards either my present location or some sort of intercept course. But for a while now 80-90% of drones seem to travel in an arbitrary direction.

In fact it is at the point that after taking out turrets I can coast in formation with the cargo ship while the drone randomly goes elsewhere.

Or better yet, an Agenventis I'm closing on spawns two drones which head 90 degrees in the wrong direction and continue straight, though the next two drones head towards me.

Did something happen to drones? Am I accidentally using some exploit that keeps most drones from detecting me?

2. noname42 Trainee Engineer

drones use autopilot and will go for the player, if their guns are destroyed they will return to the spawn location
    So maybe autopilot is bugged again

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

There isn't an real drone AI. The Space Pirate faction gets the position of the nearest player. From there, it's up to the individual program to do whatever it likes with that information. The simplest action is to place the nearest player's coordinates in as a waypoint and let the autopilot go there. This value is usually updated every second via a looping timer block.

More complicated routines can be had based on the complexity of programming. For example, in my drones, I know the coordinates for the center of each planet (as the world creator). Atmospheric drones behave differently at long, medium, and short ranges. At very long ranges I send my drones a few thousand meters above the player during its travel and as the distance gets shorter, the height offset gets lower, at very close range the drone will stay 50 meters above the player's head.

4. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, that almost makes sense then. With that insight perhaps there is a delay in setting my last location as a waypoint and spawning the drone. I match the ships speed and course a few km out, so my last location could be quite different if it doesn't update.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

More than likely, Keen has made changes to the autopilot system but not tested or updated drones. There may also be problems in the drone design. If the drone has lots of forward thrust and little lateral maneuvering, it will turn to the new position but keep sliding in its original direction.

It may be prudent to list the name of the particular drone that's exhibiting this behavior so the code can be examined.

6. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Before I go open a thread on the bug report forum, has anyone else seen this behavior? Ineffective drones in SP should be fairly obvious.

To reproduce turn on cargo ships, find a cargo ship, match speed and approach from the sides, top, or bottom. Cause the ship to spawn drones and watch them fail to close in on you.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Captain Broadstairs Apprentice Engineer

I have noticed this with most drones spawned by cargo ships, they will spawn and then sit idle or drift, Planetary drones seemed to be working okay for me though, which is confusing

8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The cargo drones may not be set to activate until a timer kicks off. This may have to do with establishing a starting point. When first spawning in. That's just conjecture but the drones probably want some reference point to return to.

9. Krougal Senior Engineer

Aggressors and Incisors spawning with thrusters not even turned on, so yeah kinda hard for them to give chase.
    Haven't even seen the Spy in so long forgot it's name.
    Dyad and gatling platform (Argentivis drones) I haven't gotten in visual range of lately but assume they aren't working either, since they aren't engaging.
    The guns work if you get in range, but they don't fly anymore. They're just loot pinatas.

10. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

11. Imperator476 Trainee Engineer

I don't know about the space drones, but I had one fly into a cliff wall while chasing me yesterday on a planet :woot:
    In all seriousness I was hoping it might happen but didn't stick close enough to see if it was from sheer stupidity or to sharp a turn.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Small drones planetary avoidance doesn't seem very good while the large block drones seem to do very well... at least a couple of weeks ago from my testing.

13. Chojun Apprentice Engineer

Yes the drones are not working and Keen is aware of it. Hopefully they fix it soon as it really is a gameplay-affecting bug. But seeing as they haven't been working since September (!) the bug must not be very high on the list or there is some other larger issue that is preventing them from working properly.

14. Masked Death Apprentice Engineer

Holy crap. I remember that the bug has been around for some time, but I thought it's few months top. Time went by fast.
    Apparently it's "reported internally", I hope they fix it fast because currently it's too easy. Incisors are weak, but at least can be a nasty surprise for you. Also you can easily raid some cargo ships without your own ship, you just need to approach from the right angle. Thanks to Incisors you couldn't do it, as they would fly up and attack. Right now the game is too easy, you can raid a few ships right after you hop into the game, then build a ship to raid the harder ones. Repeat ??? profit, you now have resources to build a 100 ship fleet.

15. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

I already fixed it, seriously the auto pilot on board the pirate ships is set to patrol. The code only gives one way point based on what it needs to do, either player or origin. Patrol mode requires TWO way points in order for the auto pilot to be turned on. So if the drone didn't spawn with auto pilot on, or if it reaches one of its way points it will stop working. If the drones are heading in the wrong direction then their auto pilot spawned "on" and they are heading to "origin" once they reach this point they will cease to work. Actually none of the space pirate drones follow me, so you're lucky? Shrugs. Either way the fix is to go into the pirates code, find where it sets the way point for the auto pilot, and duplicate that code directly below it so it creates two way points. Total time it takes to achieve this fix, 1 minute, not 1 month.

16. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

My understanding was one of the waypoints should be the result of GetNearestPlayer or something like that. Basically refreshing the player's location every minute or so until the 20km limit or time to despawn.
    I wonder if the break occurred during the last change to autopilot.
    --- Automerge ---
    Btw, how does one go into the pirate code?

17. Shatara422 Trainee Engineer

I'm pretty sure it's super simple to fix this. I had bots working last month anyway, found a solution in the comments section for a mod:

18. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

It works! Surely Keen could do this easily.

19. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Don't hold your breath. I've reported several times that they completely screwed up the IMDC ships they implemented (no spawngroup for station, typo in pirate antenna definition for the Cerberus; the fighter can never spawn, because it's only called by the station (which can't spawn) and the Cerberus (whose antenna doesn't match the definition file because of a typo)). It's a 30 second fix and I've gotten zero traction on it.

If they can't be arsed to do a little Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V inside two .sbc files, what makes you think they'll do any find-and-replace inside a half dozen prefabs?

20. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

The return of drones makes all the difference though in SP. Cargo ships are no longer free. I actually sustain damage if I act stupidly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Drones/space PVE is needed, but Assailants aren't even a challenge. A single interior turret kills engineers, not fighters. When they still worked I would disrespect them regularly by just bumping the interior turret off them cause I didn't want to spend ammo on it.

My friends and I have been working on a mod to replace the cargo ships and pirates. We have cargo ships call this thing in:

[​IMG]

We (and by we I mean Whiplash) made a drone script that moves via thruster/gyro overrides since we didn't know about the patrol/one way thing. Which ended up being good for us. Our drones move more naturally and aggressively than the doddling A to B of the RC block system.

22. Shatara422 Trainee Engineer

Well, I did find-and-replace those half a dozen files at once with notepad++...honestly I'd thought they would fix it faster than I could dig the solution out of the comments. Two months later...:eek:ops:

23. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Good to know the drones are still broken. They said they had the pirates programmable block fixed, it was another method that fixed the pirates, which one of the in house tester said might get released, you know, yesterday... Sigh... Who's the guy in charge of project management, because I would like to have a talk with them.

O also is that code available on the workshop? I need a better code then the pirates code for my sentry bot.

24. Krougal Senior Engineer

That guy is probably sequestered cause I imagine a lot of people would like to have a "talk" with him...

25. Seff Apprentice Engineer

It'll be out there eventually. Depending on what you mean by 'sentry bot,' it may not help you, though. It still uses the getnearestplayer function of the RC block, which requires that the PB and RC be owned by pirates.

26. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

The pure remote control function is really sluggish to respond, and from my bit of testing is inaccurate. Currently my sentry bot has a base, which has small wheels, gyros, and thrusters. Next is the mid section, which is connected to the base by unlocked, max strength connectors. Finally the two Gatling arms, which are connected to the mid section in the same fashion that the base and the body are connected. I then add a timer, a programmable block, a gyro or two, and a remote control block to each part, and then transfer control over to the pirate npc. Ultimately it creates 4 separate entities that move as a single unit. It's mostly useful in scenarios, or in multiplayer as a station guard while your offline.

27. Seff Apprentice Engineer

An interesting design, but I'm not sure our drone script would really be suitable for it. You'd be welcome to try, though, once we've got it released.

Edit: Pewpew

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  28. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Well that looks a lot better than the stock pirates, also friendly advice don't use missile turrets.

29. Seff Apprentice Engineer

Why not?

30. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

You were holding almost entirely still, and the missile turret missed almost ever time, I think their targeting is a bit off. Even if they do hit the enemy ship they often won't hit their target, which means the enemies' turrets will most likely remain online for an extended period of time. They just aren't reliable, I probably should submit a bug report about it though.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.