Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

are there any BIG wheels mods?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mollymawk, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

are there any wheel mods that have very large wheels?

I would love large grid 8x8 ish sized wheels.

2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Would hate to see what would take 8X8 wheels...:) By that, I just mean hard to imagine something that size. :)

3. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

just saying ... gave me a few ideas

4. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

This...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

That’s just what I was going to post!

6. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

In all seriousness, I couldn't find any 7x7 wheels or 9x9 wheels. Where's @AutoMcD at? He's got an eye for practical mods.

7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Interesting. I did want to make some wheels eventually, didn’t realize anyone would want wheels that are so large!

8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Space Engineers. The land of make-believe, where bigger is...well...bigger. And not necessarily better. But, hey, why not??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Well, the large grid 5x5 wheels are already incredibly large and I haven't seen them used much. Could it be that's because people are looking for something bigger?

Only one way to find out, Mr. Modder ;).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mollymawk Trainee Engineer

The only problem with the Large grid 5x5 wheels is they are too high geared, not enough torque. They seem designed for speed, which is not great for mega large stuff.
    If you want any kind of decent cargo capacity you have to use stupid amounts of thrusters or use piston legs to pull/push you up. To get up even small hills, sometimes you have to resort to charging at a slope at 80m/s or more which really breaks immersion (and your constructs).

Large wheels need the grunt to crawl up a 10 or 15% slope with cargo at 4km/h .. A gear box for the wheels would be awesome.

Once a construct gets massive its easier to make it fly than to drive it on the ground.

The 5x5 small grid wheels seem to work perfectly. I'm now using a wheeled mining vehicle that can quickly make its own tunnel down to the ore then, with full large cargo boxes, drive out up 25% slopes with uneven surface.

As contrast this is a large grid transport tackling a gentle slope, the only way to go up any slope requires thrusters, the wheels just don't have enough power:

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Let's see those sevens and nines!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.