Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Are welder ships worth it?

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Sagi, Oct 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

completly agree on everything.
    Yet one thing i hate about using drones.
    The extra time you have to spent in the menu.
    You have to go to the remote acces grid, look for the remote control, scroll down a bit since the control function is lower in the menu, click on control assuming you already connected the camera otherwise you have to do that as well. At that time i already did what i wanted to do by fling up there and take place in the cockpit. Space engineers allows to few placements in your hotkey toolbar (hotkey blocks rom other grids with antenna connection would be wonderfull!).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Calaban Junior Engineer

You can make the remote control the top item in the control panel by naming the remote a group called something.. creative like: "*CONTROL <<---" A group of just a single block is still a top billed group FYI

(The * at beginning of group name gives it top billing- more **s give it even more, so you can sort)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Guess I should add, in space u can have a halfway cheap underpowered welder ship/drone. On planets or moons, the benefits in early survival are balanced the energy needs to hover while holding components

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I use * in my GPS locations to denote places I frequently use so its at the top of my list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

Agree as well but then it still takes to much time in the menu.
    p.s. it's not just with drones you spent to much time in the menu.
    And it's a real shame cuzz vehicles where you sit in a passenger seat looks 10 ties cooler then when you are sitting in a cockpit (yes i drive cabrio as well :woot:)

6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Shift-k. Click on "Take Control" button. If you set up the camera ahead of time, you are now ready to go with the drone. No scrolling required unless you have more than a page of ships/drones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

Just tried that, it's indeed faster and will certainly use this thx!
    But however controlling isn't the only thing we can use antenna's for.
    I often want to be in the control menu from distant grids (rather then going to a control panel) Those are the real reason i like antenna's and it doing that still takes alot of time.

8. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Small Grid welder grinder ship, is totally worth it. Especially so if you're building in space and have the ability to make Ion Thrusters. If you have to make Atmo or Hydrogen thrusters they end up being more risky because there is the risk of fuel/ power depletion.

The Small grid welder and grinder arm actually have a nice distance to them and they weld as faster than a proficient welder. If you aim the welder just right you can weld 4 blocks at once. There is also the lazy factor. Figuring out what you have to shuttle everything by hand over versus just throw a bunch of junk into the Welder ship.

Large grid welder ship... I would say meh...

If your inventory size is 1x or x2 They are basically a must.
    If your inventory size is x3 or x10 Welder/Grinder ships and Freighters are pointless.

9. Malware Master Engineer

To get around that I create a group with the remote in it to bring it to the top of the terminal. Makes it a little better.

10. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

Another thing wich has always bugged me a bit is that large ship tools are much less practical then small ones.
    Why is this?!
    Would the game not just try to promote to the bigger is better concept?!
    Or at least keep it in the same level.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Actually, I find that server wise and output wise, it's the other way around. People might like the aesthetic of the small grid blocks. But, just the other day we compared the component cost of a large grid Hydrogen tank to two small ones; the result was that the component cost is near equal but the Large grid Hydrogen tank carries x2.5< more Liters more gas on a x1 inventory size server; with surprisingly close mass indexes. What large grids lose in size and volume they make up for in cost efficiency and server performance. Nothing lags a server more than an over packed x10 inventory small grid Large ship, crashing into the ground. The Thruster outputs are better across the board for Large grid too. Same with power supply systems etc.

Keep in mind how the game is designed it will register Large grids as the #1 priority and then small grids. If you're lagging just sit in a Large grid chair. It'll reset your body position.

I guess what I'm saying is.. Don't confuse art pieces with workable equipment..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  12. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

When i mentioned tools i actually reffered to welders drills and grinder blocks.

13. odizzido Junior Engineer

As timuroslav already said large grid hydrogen is way better than small. However it really just depends on the block. Small grid batteries are vastly superior to large grid ones for example.

That's why you get people building a mix of small and large components in the same structure. If the blocks were balanced instead of having random component costs you wouldn't see it as often.

14. DominicFalcon Trainee Engineer

The trick is, as pointed out obliquely by others: multiple welding heads. One welding head is slow and cumbersome, but six (even small grid) is godly. You just have to be aware of the fact you’ll be using them for building, and plan appropriately.

15. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Thanks to the physics update, my welder/grinder ship with rotating arms works great.

16. Glimmlampe Trainee Engineer

Main problem I have with welder/grinder ships is, I'm horribly at judging distances with them. Most of the time I try to weld something I wonder why it wont work, until I realize that the welders arent close to that block, they are sticking at least half way inside of it...

17. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

that's exactly my point they are quite clumsy to use.

18. Mollymawk Apprentice Engineer

I have found having the welders fixed as part of my base and having the projector on a wheeled frame works best for me for printing ships. and repairs are done by just flying next to the wonder wall. I cover the welders with windows to stop small ships getting entangled.

however, I have mining scripts for drones to drill and return ore to my base. So if i was to use a welding ship, i would script it to return to a connector to be refilled when i stop controlling it.

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Aren’t those ships easy? They’re also a wonderful source of free thruster components from those two large ion thrusters.

Here's an example of one I captured at the onset of a new game using Empty Space in survival mode. It will call for assistance, and it seems that only assailant drones come to the rescue (which are easily dispatched by grinding the remote controls). During the course of capturing this mining carriage I ended up with three disabled assailant drones that I used to trick-out the mining carriage (additional thrusters and reactors because it handles like a pig when loaded, an oxygen generator and pressurized cockpit, and six drills, including sorters to dump stone and a camera at the front to eyeball the process). I left the remainders of the stripped assailant drones up on blocks near an asteroid in a bad part of the universe.

[​IMG]

Now, admittedly this is a dirt-ball miner at best, cobbled together with stripped parts from biker gang rides. My main ride is affectionately called "The Dirty Ore" and allows deep 10+ meter deep penetration with nine drills, and sorts and stores ore and, optionally, ice into a large cargo container. This baby comes complete with an oxygen generator and a jump drive to get there and back fast! It's for when you want you ore to be really dirty.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.