Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sierra, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sierra Trainee Engineer

I'm going to attempt to withhold what can only be described as unbridled rage I had only seconds ago, and reduce myself to just severely infuriated for this post.

Somebody make sure I'm understanding this right.
    Instead of having this second team work on something useful to an existing alpha game like fixing the horrifically broken dedicated server module and optimizing the engine, KSH made a whole new game with a lot of effort put into it instead of redirecting that to, oh I don't know, a planetside component of space engineers?
    Somebody please justify the logic behind sacrificing resources to make a new alpha game, when the current alpha game is so incredibly far from even a beta release?

I'm not one to bash a development studio, but when that studio does something so incredibly idiotic such as this, I am almost compelled to out of the hope they'll realize their misguidance.

KEEN, YOU HAVE ONE ALPHA GAME ALREADY. DO NOT MAKE A SECOND UNTIL THE FIRST IS STABLE. I say stable and I mean on dedicated servers. Peer to peer multiplayer is NOT the core of this game's MP playerbase, dedicated servers are. The game needs to be stable on them or else it is doomed to fail, and we're already beginning to see the results of that.

The weekly updates are great and all, but Keen, you guys need to hold back, take a few months, and release the mother of all bugfixing and optimization patches before ANY new content. 6-8 week development cycle actually adds some time for playtesting and experimental builds (isn't that a novel idea . . .).

TL;DR, stop shooting yourselves in the foot over and over!
    Focus on the game that exists and put these extra resources there. Do not turn into kEAn. Fix and finish Space Engineers before you throw it to the wayside.

I can already hear the angry fanboys from that 'throw it to the wayside' comment, so my question to them is: How can you be certain Medieval Engineers won't make Space Engineers the next Miner Wars?
    You can't, unless you wholeheartedly believe Keen's words, a privilege they have whittled away to the point where I refuse to believe SE will ever be a stable complete game until such time as it is. Box version, XBox One? Doubtful. WIth this around I fear for SE's future, and then go back to KSP knowing that Squad will actually deliver a finished product in the long run.

2. Skeloton Master Engineer

If you wont believe anyone that disagrees using the "Fanboi" term then why should anyone bother to say anything?

3. Latsabb Senior Engineer

Skeloton, you filthy fanboi. Piss off, only cool kids with the exact same outlook as the OP are allowed in this treehouse. And no gurlz.

4. damnatus Junior Engineer

tl, dr
    stop buying early access

5. Martinineter Senior Engineer

So you didn't actually read the commentary of the devs? These 2 game are going to cross-pollinate as they are based on the same engine. This means that features from SE can go to ME and from ME to SE.
    Also, an alpha state is not meant to be stable, it is mostly not even playable. Be happy that it works as well as it already does now, it could be way worse...

6. Skeloton Master Engineer

OMG! you got me partner.....you really got me :p

Ive got like two maybe 3 titles that are WAY worse in general. Than SE. Even have less content in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  7. Martinineter Senior Engineer

The only problem is that people either don't know or are just too ignorant to recognise it. It's also funny how people didn't see the impact from the development of ME that started back in april. They only started nagging about it after announcement, seems a bit odd, right?

8. Skeloton Master Engineer

I didn't notice any impact nor anything positive but then again im too busy playing to notice.

9. Latsabb Senior Engineer

I noticed. The time between Thrusdays has definitely felt longer.

10. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Ands it only seems to get longer, especially whilst expecting ME to be released any time...

11. Skeloton Master Engineer

Stop it before it gets any longer. Its KSH's fault I swear.

Time to make a impotent rage rant thread.

12. Textor Junior Engineer

Their development cycle has become so fast, it is now affected by time dilation.

13. Latsabb Senior Engineer

That makes sense... They need to slow it down with a third game. Sea Engineers.

14. Skeloton Master Engineer

I think Nautical Engineers sounds better.

15. Thedevistator Senior Engineer

Too add to this conversation if all 40 devs where going to one game they would run out of money too fast they woundnt make enough funds to run it. Now if you have two not only will you reach out to medieval buying people but from players who also play SE and want another engineering game.

16. Belthize Apprentice Engineer

Hmm, I've been wrong. OP makes a very valid point and I'm going to immediately delete SE from my computer and join a cult to repent.

17. cedi Apprentice Engineer

As Husky put it:

When ahead, get further ahead.

Keen has the experience, the engine and the fan-base for ME, not creating this game would be pretty stupid and give away their head start. Also from what I could deduce from the various screenshots and clips I'd say that they already put a lot of work into ME, without anyone noticing it happen...

18. Warki Trainee Engineer

Cedi is right, and they have 2 teams so dont worry​

19. RayvenQ Moderator

Also, doubling the amount of staff on one projects isn't neccesarily going to speed up the development of said project.

20. Skeloton Master Engineer

Im afraid that saying "theres two teams and that x2 staff on one project might not speed things up" wont actually do anything to change the OPs mind. Or alleviate their worries.

I'll be ecstatic if it does though.

21. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

The point people keep missing is you can only have so many people working on a project. So when you hit that point the natural and logical thing to do to keep up with feasible growth is a new project. When a small business owner has a wildly successful factory, they can either keep doing the same thing or they can open up another factory to complement the one they have.

22. Warki Trainee Engineer

and both teams are working on the same engine so both games will benefit from advances on either game
    concerning the engine ofc

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  23. Captain_Brian Apprentice Engineer

This.

Although, I do wish Keen had done a bit more bugfixing on SE before announcing ME. I certainly understand some people being frustrated, but at this point it is a bit premature to be freaking out about anything.

24. Textor Junior Engineer

I actually think this will HELP bugfixing. ME fixes something, and now they have a different team with different eyes and different thought processes, and they can go, "Hey, how'd you guys fix that?" and suddenly rotors, landing gears, and pistons become stable, functional members of society.

25. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Funny how we had 3 posts within minutes of each other(all posting at the same time I guess) saying pretty much the same thing.

26. Captain_Brian Apprentice Engineer

Oh I agree with that, I just meant from a PR standpoint it might have been better if they'd gone ahead and done some bugfixing first with their biggest and most longstanding issues. It is slightly annoying to have these nifty blocks (pistons, rotors, landing gear, spot lights, etc) and not be able to use them because of game-breaking bugs with them. It doesn't make me blame ME for the issues, but it's tough for me to get excited about it with outstanding issues still lingering in SE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  27. Legofreak Apprentice Engineer

I just think it's funny that so many people think this is a bad idea because the team is being "split". They have been making a ton of money from SE sales and hired MORE employees.

The only way Keen will give up on SE is if it fails to continue to be profitable, IE, if sales stop and the budget runs out. I dont know but I assume thats why miner wars died.

more money = more employees = more games

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  28. Ulfsark Master Engineer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminishing_returns

29. Textor Junior Engineer

The Early Access Conspiracy theorists believe Keen is actually nearly bankrupt and this is a desperate ploy to generate capital before it is too late.

30. Ulfsark Master Engineer

Do the math....they claim over a million copies sold. So aside from the 50% off specials, that should be roughly 20 million dollars.
    If they are nearly bankrupt, then they are paying too much RENT, because with only 40 employees ..... that'd be a lot of money to blow through.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.