Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Artificial mass in natural graviy

Discussion in 'General' started by Yurets, Apr 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Yurets Trainee Engineer

I was searching for quite a while and couldn't find the answer to a simple question: does artificial mass work in natural gravity?

I tried to test it, but it's kind of hard and my results contradict each other.

Here is what I tried:
    1)I built a 40 cubes high tower. Put a merge block on top and attached 16 blocks of artificial mass to it. Plus a battery and another merge block.
    2) With artificial mass powered, I released merge block. It took roughly 5 seconds for the whole thing to touch the ground.
    3) Then I repeated the same structure (16 artificial mass, battery and merge block), but turned off the battery, so mass got non powered. And released the merge block. It took roughly 4.5 seconds for it to touch the ground.

So, does artificial mass work in the planetary gravity? And how could I make it work?

I'm just trying to build a rover for a moon, but because gravity is so low, it hardly moves because there is not enough contact with the ground 70% (this number is totally made up of course :D) of all the time. I used thrusters at first, but they consume way to much energy, so I hoped to switch to something more efficient.

2. Malware Master Engineer

Simply put, no. The artificial gravity block is only affected by the gravity generator, which does not work on planets. They do work - to a lesser degree - on moons though, I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Generally speaking, I am not aware of any person that has had to resort to using artificial mass to keep any sort of vehicle on the ground (although there seems to be a lot of people that believe they do).

Gravity generators and artificial mass blocks were introduced well before planets. People wanted to be able to walk around in their ships and stations, and people that built elaborate stations wanted to get around on wheeled vehicles (I always found it odd that Keen gave us wheels long before they gave us gravity of any kind). Keen recognized right from the beginning that gravity generators and artificial mass would lead to exploits on a ridiculous scale if left alone, so they are programmed to not interfere with the "natural" gravity of a planet or moon.

The simplest rover you can build should be able to move about on any moon without the need to add any weight. If this is not happening you may need to adjust the suspension settings. Honestly, though, the default settings should work. Try reducing strength and increasing friction.

4. Yurets Trainee Engineer

Thanks! That's a bit sad, that mass doesn't work with natural gravity, but nothing to do then.

I have my rover with 5% strength wheels, and that's still too much for the Moon unfortunately. But I'll try to reduce it, hopefully it will help.

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Load 'er up with some steel plate or metal grids; that'll smooth it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

Artifical mass is affected only by artificial gravity. However, gravity generators do work on the moon, they are just at reduced effectiveness within natural gravity. Once natural gravity is over 0.5, artificial gravity does not work.

7. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Cyber Cheese Gravity Generators will work at anything less than 1g. If the natural gravity is 0.5 the gravity gen will run at 0.5 to give the area it is in a 1g gravity well. If natural gravity is 0.9 then the grav gen will run at 0.1 etc.... (or at least it used too). I have been running a game on Earthlike for a while now so haven't been to anything less than 1g in a little while.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. dispair Apprentice Engineer

Mass does not make as n object "fall" faster. Your test was sort of busted to start with. A cargo container with some ore in it will add mass, if you want to see if your rover will drive better, good use for gravel. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Oliepolie Trainee Engineer

I've heard somewhere that gravity generators don't work over .5g so thats what ill base this on.
    I know from experience on the moon that gravity generators are 50% of whatever you set it to.
    If the generator is set to 1g then within the moon's gravity it will only produce .5g. (the moon's gravity is .25g if you forgot; more than enough to cancel its acceleration)
    To clarify, it's not directly affected by the planet (Earth, Moon, Europa, Mars, etc), only by the amount of acceleration, so you could have generators within Earth's gravity but it would diminish the same way it would within the moon, and when it reaches .5g it will fully lose that effect.

(It makes me a little disappointed this is its behavior because you cant have gravity cannons on any of the main planets.)

(EDIT)
    In regard to the OP, without mods it would be a hassle to use artificial masses and roam any of the planets since there aren't any small grid generators, but if you use mods that add those blocks then it is exactly what you would need, although it would take some power if you don't tune it.

10. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

This is precisely why gravity generators don't work on planets. This is one of the exploits Keen wanted to avoid. The other one was using gravity generators set to -1g to create hovercraft. There were some other reasons I can't recall right now but Keen just effectively eliminated GG exploits on planets by not letting them interfere with "natural" gravity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Just checked and yup it has changed, Grav gen no longer makes up the diff between planet gravity...... kind of bad for those who do not want to take that one gigantic leap... :)

12. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I love it when physics change! It's a new paradigm!

13. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Now, if they just get rid of the artificial mass...

14. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Artificial mass is like artificial sweeteners...they both satisfy a need, but are really bad for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oliepolie Trainee Engineer

They're really bad for whoever is down range.
    :)

16. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The moon's gravity is something like 0.1 or 0.2. That means anytime that you hit a bump or the end of an incline, you're going to get some airtime if your speed is fast enough. Adding mass won't do much for you. The artificial mass block will work in theory because of the acceleration created between the gravity generator and the mass block... even if it's fractional compared to free space. A cheaper alternative would be simply placing a downward thruster and enabling both flight and driving controls in the cockpit. The inertial dampener will kick in every time you travel up, reducing the distance you fly away when you hit a bump. If you don't want to use an ion thruster, you could use a hydrogen thruster attached to a hydrogen tank or one or two O2/H2 generators.

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Both the "Moon" and Titan have gravities of 0.25. I'm just saying...

18. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

An even cheaper solution would be to reduce suspension strength even more. You can go all the way down to. 0001 if you have to, but I would start with 1 and go from there.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.