Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Artillery Cannon For Planets

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Bullet_Force, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bullet_Force Apprentice Engineer

It would be great if the developers would a cannon that fires projectiles that are affected by natural gravity. Like the rocket launcher I guess but rather then going in a straight line the rocket would have a curve which see it eventually coming back down somewhere.

This would open a whole new range of possibilities for land based weapons and vehicles because atm all players can do is fire straight at a base. With an artillery system you could lob the shells over hills and from behind cover.

2. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

There are already ballistic missile scripts, though that is a buffer investment than a cannon though.

3. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

It's a real shame KSH have stopped new blocks development, weapons, glass plates, catwalks. But I guess they have good reason for that, plus we do have nice moders community so basically everything SE doesn't have can be found in workshop. I hope they will resume adding new block content once they deal with other problems - netcode, engine, pistons, rotors and other.

4. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I'd argue this should be implemented for all projectiles anyway. then we can talk about new weapons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Allammo Apprentice Engineer

Great idea SenorZerros! After all SE is all about physic.

6. Malware Master Engineer

I'm not sure that's a good idea... IMO it would be a waste of computing power for most weapons. I'd say it's better as an option for projectiles.

7. Inflex Developer Staff

What is stopping you from using well known concept of gravity gun and raw ore?
    I haven't tried this on my own but with premise of working gravity generators on planet surface few of them can easily overcome planet gravity and after successful launch gravity will take care of rest. Tricky barrel could permit shooting even warheads.

8. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Gravity generators don't work well in natural gravity. They become nearly ineffective at ground level.

By design to prevent a gravity drive craft from being a simple way off the planet I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SenorZorros Master Engineer

my apologies but...
    are you sure?
    it shouldn't be that hard to program into the game ;)

but seriously. I assume that the bullets in se are something like a hitscan or the like. no real bullets. that would be a massive waste. in that case you could simulate both gravity and friction with some fairly simple equations. that shouldn't take much power. I am less sure about the rockets but in their case it should just be the addition of a few vectors. considering the fact that the game does not crash if you drop a couple of items in a gravity field this should be relatively light to.

and I do believe it does improve the gameplay although I am wary for gravity shields.

10. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Idk how many bullets are modeled, but they seem to have travel time. From max range a nimble ship could dodge 70-90% of bullets by looking at the incoming recess. Also, bullets apply a force to what they hit.

11. Malware Master Engineer

It's not about difficulty, it's easy as pie, but it's about yet another x items that needs to be calculated each tick - thousands of them, in certain situations - without there really being a significant point to it, while there are plenty of things already needing cpu power and affecting sim speed. Every little thing adds to the requirements and needs to be weighed up between cost/need - and frankly I don't see what it adds to gameplay. Leaving it as a configuration lessens the impact on the cpu while still allowing for things like mortars.

12. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I get your point but if we are talking about long-range fights I would say it becomes more relevant. at 600m bullet drop can easily become significant.

13. Malware Master Engineer

Most people won't notice, or care. Besides most people use turrets. It's just not worth it imo.

14. SenorZorros Master Engineer

well... I think it is better to implement this in general but I see your point though I'd still argue weapons are rare enough to not form a significant load.

15. Malware Master Engineer

Rare?!? Are we playing the same game? Have you seen what people make? :p I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of "projectiles" we're talking about here...

16. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I think more to the point, who would build such cannons on a planet in Space Engineers? Unless the cannon was supposed to accurately hit a target on the other side of the planet, why would anyone use such a thing? I've never seen anyone use even the current cannon mods on a planet.

I'm not fully aware, but I don't think ground combat is much of a thing in SE.

17. Levits Senior Engineer

On it's own, projectiles interacting with gravity isn't a bad idea... From the Depths has no problem with it <BUT that game is so optimized or "different" form SE in how things run, that I doubt that you could compare coding/formula's.

But like From the Depths, I have to agree with Malware on this one. NEVER underestimate what people will build. The large-ship rocket pod alone can fire off 64 rounds. It's one thing to have them fly a straight line right out of the barrel, but it would then have to add a figure to establish which way gravity is pulling and then to add how much it's going to pull them. <But then again, it's about optimization and how they go about it. It's a simple formula after all.

As I said, From the Depths and many other games have little issue making such a thing work. But they are not SE. SE can barely handle 64 objects floating in space before needing to cull things. Not to mention, the maximum range of weapons is only about 2000m... hardly worth adding projectile drop at such a short range. Now, 15km out... yeah.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.