Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Assemblers that can read blueprints

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Fenris, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

I can't imagine this is an original idea, but I couldn't find it, so I'm probably repeating a previous post.

I would like to load a blueprint into an assembler (much like you would load one into a projector), then click "build from blueprint".

That is all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I am sure a PB could do it for you with a script.

3. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, never even thought of that, I'll look into that option more.

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

well I did a look around the workshop and didn't notice anything that would help you. It "should" be possible though with a projector, PB, container with enough ingots, and an assembler.
    The PB reads the blocks from the projector (which in its stats you can see whats in it)
    The PB tells the assembler what blocks to make
    The assembler will make the components for the requested blocks

5. odizzido Junior Engineer

You can also build an automated shipyard. I've made a number and I still get new ideas on how to make my next one better.

6. ViroMan Senior Engineer

or just use nano and it will talk to the assembler... and build up the projector without killing your sim speed or needing a huge area all at the cost of 26 MW.

I wonder if I have been extolling the wonders of the nano mod too much lately... naw. Its just that good.

7. odizzido Junior Engineer

My first shipyard was a giant array of welders that took up a ton of space heh yeah. But as with anything you get better. You actually only need a single welder even for very large ships.

8. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

The big problem is that there isn't that much automatic control over assemblers possible via scripting because there isn't that much API for it.

9. Steelhelix Trainee Engineer

@tankmayvin beat me to it. A PB could do this if it had the ability to tell an assembler what to assemble, but currently a PB can only turn a assembler on or off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Buzzed Bear Apprentice Engineer

Bloody brilliant!

11. ViroMan Senior Engineer

you can still make it build things for you since... nano does that with the assembler. hmm wait that might be difference since nano is a mod not a script.

Well then... Make a mod for a new PB to expand the available API's :)

12. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Precisely. Which means the only way you can do this is have a bank of assemblers, one for every type of component you want made, and then you have them all dump into a set of monitored cargo containers. And then get turned on/off when the number of comps reaches the quota that you want.
    --- Automerge ---
    Nano is a mod that has different API. The vanilla game doesn't have any control over the assembler beyond on/off outside of the UI.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.