Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. Hello Guest!
    Welcome to the Bug Report forum, please make sure you search for your problem before posting here. If you post a duplicate (that you post the same issue while other people have already done that before) you will be given a warning point which can eventually lead into account limitations !

Here you can find a guide on how to post a good bug report thread.
    Space Engineers version --- Medieval Engineers version
  2. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Asteroid Miner won't move after mining

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by domingo, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. domingo Trainee Engineer

Reproduction Rate: 3 out of 3
    Affected Version: 1.186.5 (latest)

Reproduction steps:
    # Lone Survivor, Creative, Inventory Size: Realistic, no mods
    # create simplest mining ship: Cockpit, Drill, Small Reactor, Gyroscope, 6xThruster
    # enter the ship and start to mine nearby asteroid

Observed behavior:
    Ship acceleration decreases as its mass increases [expected].
    After considerable mass is gained (at least 100t), ship stops to accelerate.
    Sometimes when moving in several directions at once and rolling, ship starts to accelerate again.

=> I think there might be some problem with floating precision and/or movement/acceleration matrix/quaternion degradation as the ship mass gradually increases.
    Maybe just forcing it to reset on some more conditions and/or once a while might do the trick ...

Expected behavior:
    Ship should be able to accelerate no matter what it's mass is, provided it has at least one Thruster in given direction and enough power for it.

Remarks:

1) original problem:
    # Lone Survivor, Survival, Inventory Size: Realistic
    # many mods (not needed to mention, reproduced without mods)
    # built small grid miner based on https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=370970390 (3 large containers)
    # start drill asteroid, after some ore is mined, ship won't move in some directions
    # dump some ore, ship is able to move
    # when more thrusters are added, I can mine more ore until ship become stuck again

2) problem was NOT reproduced when ship had its mass increased in one step:
    # I built small ship: Cockpit, Large Container, 6xThruster, Battery, Gyroscope
    # added 100000kg of Uranium Ingots
    -> ship still moves with very low acceleration [expected]

3) reproduced with original blueprint under same conditions (Lone Survivor, Creative, Inventory Size: Realistic)
    -> just ship won't move at all at the beginning, maybe power problem because when I enable Small Reactor it starts to move (Battery was not enough to power all Thrusters)
    -> other observation was similar with report

Original text:
    I've built myself a small grid miner, based off this ship: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=370970390, it weights ~27t when empty.

When I start to drill, it's acceleration begin to decrease (understandable, ship is gaining weight).
    However after some time (currently about +60t of ore), it stops to move at all, becoming stuck.

Ship did not became stuck in the asteroid because when I eject some of the mined ore, I can move again.
    IIRC when I add more Thrusters, I can carry more ore until the ship won't move again.

I tried to reproduce it with simpler ship in creative (one Thruster in every direction and one Large Container filled with 15m3 of Uranium ingots), switched to survival - but the ship still moves, although really sluggish (as expected).

Might be there some floating precision loss ?
    Also I have quite old NB (getting simulation speed decreased warning), that could also make the problem worse ... ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  2. radam Senior Engineer

Gyros work?

3. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

Maybe inner logic of the game related to physics - something in the lines "if acceleration<0.1, consider stationary"

4. domingo Trainee Engineer

Report updated.

AFAIK yes.

I didn't change "Unsupported Stations" - it is OFF.
    Anyway when I move in more directions (forward and left) and I roll, ship starts to accelerate.

5. radam Senior Engineer

I think i remember this behaviour from 2015

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.