Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Atmospheric Thruster damage

Discussion in 'General' started by Vorg, Jan 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Been working on a small utility ship and decided to do some testing. Built a simple test rig with a small ship large atmospheric thruster pointed at a medium cargo container 4 blocks away (according to wiki, 5 blocks is needed). After running at max over thrust for ~30 minutes, it seemed to have no damage. So I started adding light armor blocks between them and got down to just 1 block away. Had limited power at our base. Batteries where getting low and I need to turn in. But even 1 block away, the light armor block showed no damage after several minutes. More testing is needed, but it looks like atmospheric thrusters are not doing damage.

Maybe someone with more time resource can do better testing of the atmo engines

2. Malware Master Engineer

I'm not entirely sure atmos engines are supposed to do damage...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Shabazza Junior Engineer

The .sbc says, they have the same damage as ion engines.
    But I never expierienced it in the same magnitude.
    They seem to be able to damage functional blocks at 100 % thrust. I managed to destroy a fighters cockpit regularely with the exhaust stream of side-attached atmo thrusters
    during extreme maneuvering at 100% thrust until I placed those thrusters farther away from the cockpit.
    But even this was not consistent for me.
    I saw absolutely no damage to armor blocks, even at prolonged exposure times to the exhaust stream at 100% thrust.
    So currently their damage behavior is a bit strange.

4. Maegil Senior Engineer

I did once take health damage when I carelessly got too close to a small small ship one while it was stationkeeping, but even then it was light damage.

5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Aren't all Thrusters currently borked as far as damage is concerned?

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Lothos Apprentice Engineer

would make no sense for atmo thrusters to cause damage. if anything they should be less effective as you block them though. they are essentially jets right? air in and air out.

7. Nemesismax Trainee Engineer

• Informative Informative x 3
  8. dustnbone Trainee Engineer

Looks like they're ducted fans, they work by moving large volumes of air but without any sort of combustion taking place like in a jet engine. Still potentially damaging, especially if it ends up propelling foreign matter, but not going to melt/burn anything.

9. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

They do damage but I don't think the range is as far, try flying a small ship near one of the large ones set to override perhaps if you want to know exactly.

10. Vorg Trainee Engineer

Don't think any engines are supposed to do any damage to the side. Only blocks that are directly in line with the output.

11. ATalkingRock Apprentice Engineer

Yeah from what I've seen small ion and atmospheric thrusters don't damage blocks if they have one block space in between em.

Additionally if you put a blast door block in front of any thruster, the blocks don't get damaged. I utilize this on my ships if I need to squeeze extra thrusters

12. Krougal Senior Engineer

It would seem so. I was trying to do some tests the other night and it's very erratic.
    I couldn't get consistent results, just with Ions even, so called it quits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I had small ship atmos eat a large grid landing gear I was using as a landing pad. They WILL do damage if you have thruster damage turned on and there aren't any in-game bugs.

14. Vorg Trainee Engineer

So basiclly no one knows what the damage range for large small ship atmo thrusters is, just that they sometimes do damage and sometimes don't :(

If I put the lift engines high enough on this ship to clear 5 small blocks bellow, they will be sticking above the ship as it is currently only 8 blocks high. And I will have to put the forward/reverse/lateral thrusters all 2-3 blocks above the cockpits (which are currently the top) to clear the lift engines.

15. BobbyHill Apprentice Engineer

bug report? idk but i have seen damage in the past with atmo it was very minimal and it was a large ship thruster.

16. Vorg Trainee Engineer

I tested a cockpit behind the thruster with 1 block space and facing the engine. within seconds it needed glass to be repaired. So they damage cockpits, but not light armor it looks like.

17. Echillion Senior Engineer

Ask a silly question? You do have thruster damage turned on don't you? If you do? may I suggest you put a bug report in please? and besides glass is weaker than armor plate so its natural that would blow 1st?

18. Levits Senior Engineer

If thruster damage is on, do you suppose this may be a result to tweaking the damaging effects of landing on other ships or block surfaces?

What I mean to say is, suppose the Devs might have done this as a means to keep you from burning a hole in your landing platform on a ship? Just a thought and nothing more.

19. Shabazza Junior Engineer

See this post where my cockpit was exploding regularely until I repositioned the side-attached breaking thrusters away from the cockpit.
    So it seems they can do damage in certain situations. But as said, they react not as consistent as ion thrusters. At least not for me.

20. EternityTide Senior Engineer

That would be the case with a "normal" fan, but a turbine like this compresses the air into a high pressure cone which it expels from the rear - if you apply boyle's law, you'll find that the air will become superheated within the turbine, perhaps reaching as high as 500°C. Of course this heat rapidly dissipates when it exits the turbine, but if you stood close to the outlet, you would experience two things:
    A) your skin being stripped from your face
    B) the flesh that formerly resided under that skin being crispy dried by the intense heat

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I'm doing a test right now with a large atmospheric thruster (large grid).
    Damage range on full thruster power is only 1 block (right in front of stream).

I think that's weird. It should be at least 4 blocks.

22. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Small block thrusters don't damage large blocks. They made this change months ago.

23. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I'm using a large thruster on a large grid, testing for damage on large blocks (same grid).

24. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Odd. On high power settings (hovering near max grid weight) my small grid large atmospheric thrusters do small amounts to damage to light and heavy armor block landing pads at my mars base.

25. Michael_6748967 Trainee Engineer

Maybe the inconsistencies mentioned in the thread are due to the ships being tested not being heavy enough to require much thruster output?

• Like Like x 1
  26. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I did another test, and it now requires 4 blocks between a large thruster (large grid) and a large square armor block.
    I had thrust override on 100%.

Apparently there is something weird going on with the way the game interprets the damage/not yet welded -state of the block.

27. Michael_6748967 Trainee Engineer

Hmm...I noticed that as well with my trash compactor. Initially the huge side walls were all unfinished light armor blocks. They didn't take damage from debris impacts, as far as I could tell. Later when I welded them up, they began to deform in response to debris impacts and required periodic maintenance.

28. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I accidentally had a small thruster facing the rear and it damaged the large thruster behind it, but only at full thrust. It's a miner and caused dmg flying back to base. I would guess the engine has to be at max output to cause damage because it was fine flying around the platform. The damage occurred during a max thrust back to base with a full container of ore.

29. WarWyvern Trainee Engineer

Maybe that's the source of the inconsistency: that atmospheric thrusters aren't at full power at higher altitudes? I've been playing around with a new armored ship and have found that I can reliably get any large grid thruster to blow itself up, but small grids seem picky right now.

Oh well. I'll happily take this bug over the thrusters damaging everything or exploding whenever they jolly well feel like it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Cruzz999 Apprentice Engineer

To the people still doubting a turbojet would cause damage, have a look at this short clip from Top Gear.

• Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.