Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Atmospheric Thrusters use too many motors

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by Koder, Nov 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Koder Apprentice Engineer

Hi Keen, love your game, thank you so much for bringing planets to us. I'm excited to see the fixes/enhancements going forward now that you have this out of the way.

Please rebalance the material composition of atmospheric thrusters. Currently, they use too many motors. Please review them and adjust the components as needed.

The issue it creates in survival is two-fold. In one hand you have the atmospheric lander providing much more resources than intended, and in the other hand it can be difficult to get that many motors to build a simple utliity ship for someone that doesn't use the atmospheric lander on planets when starting out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mhalpern Senior Engineer

I disagree- its not like motors are hard to make and if you want cheap planetary transit there isn't an age old alternative that we are constantly reminded NOT to reinvent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Koder Apprentice Engineer

Motors aren't hard to make, its just a matter of numbers really. They don't seem in line with the other thrusters in the game.

Its not like space where you can start off with a single thruster in ea diection and work from there. You need 8-10 atmospheric thrusters for even the smallest utility craft on planets.

I'm making do with it, I only play 1x/first person locked. There are other things to worry about besides this anyway, just something I noticed.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  4. Sibz Apprentice Engineer

I agree, while not a huge problem, I think all around the motor requirements are slightly high.
    I haven't had to mine any Nickel due to the amount I got from the large atmospheric thrusters on the lander. I've built 2 small ships, and an addition 10 solar panels. Also made up the shortfall in powercells (200).

5. mhalpern Senior Engineer

then don't use atmospheric thrusters when you don't have to, use wheels where the application allows. really you need 0 atmospheric thrusters for a great deal of things.

6. Koder Apprentice Engineer

I love wheels, and even have a respawn rover mod that I have had a great deal of fun with. Unfortunately, it doesn't work too well when it's dropped from 3-4km up when you spawn in :) That's another issue though :)

Good luck making a useful starter welding ship with wheels though. The precise maneuvering and small size from something that can fly just trumps a wheeled vehicle almost every time.

7. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Scaffolding works in that situation

8. Morrigi Apprentice Engineer

The nice thing about wheeled vehicles is that they take almost no power to run.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.