Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Auto-Pilote for ground vehicles

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by PYROMAN - Engine-Serv, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. PYROMAN - Engine-Serv Trainee Engineer

Is there any way to make a automated rover ?
    I made a lot of test and auto-pilote just stop working when some wheels are added

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Dan2D3D Moderator

Hi @PYROMAN - Engine-Serv , it's not working very well with wheels but if I add thrusters, at least some forwards and backwards, the autopilot works but only on flat areas (it can go down hill but not up)

EDIT

+ gyroscope

3. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Auto pilot was made for spacecraft. It doesn't understand wheel suspensions. It can only steer by using gyros. It cannot control wheel speed the way it can precisely control thrust. The best you can do is have auto pilot point your vehicle in the desired direction. You will need some other method to start/stop and control speed.

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Doesn't the "Escape From Mars" mod spawn lots of bots that are AP driven? The ground bots get from destination to destination easily enough. Trick for them though is to set wheel friction to zero and then use a gyro and 2 atmo thrusters to get around.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

would require pathfinding scripting for ground based vehicles. ^^
    [​IMG]

I like the sound of this. this sounds like a working plan!

6. Sinbad Senior Engineer

i think @Wicorel had a script for this

7. Wicorel Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, if you just wanted to run a wheeled vehicle with an auto pilot it won't work as you would expect. I was going to suggest writing a script or getting someone to write one, but I see that mission has already been accomplished ;)

Great thing about SE is that in many cases standard blocks can deliver desired behavior with a bit of code.

That's why I wish they had left wheel suspension alone :(

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.