Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Automated Trash Cleanup

Discussion in 'General' started by Atophy, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Atophy Trainee Engineer

I am polling the server community on the in game trash cleanup tools. (ALT-F10)
    Do they work ?
    What does each setting do, how does it affect the outcome ?
    Does anyone have preferred settings other than "OFF" ?
    I'm primarily interested in the "Voxel" tab on trash cleanup.

In order to help maintain a reasonably sized map file, my server needs a little automated cleanup, unfortunately my testing is still leaves me without answers in that it sometimes works, but it usually doesn't.

Obviously they will be literal in their execution and mistakes will be made, regrets will be had, but that's what testing is for.

2. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

I haven't been able to get the voxel cleanup to work, testing in single player.
    I started a new creative game, earth easy start. Deleted all the pirate grids so I don't get trouble. :)
    I drilled some holes (with right-click) at waypoints marked a certain distance from the ore detector antenna (the closest grid.)
    Under the "Voxels" tab, I checked every option, set distance from player to 1m, distance from grid 1000m, and voxel age 1min.
    I've been hovering 45m away from a hole that's 1060m from the nearest grid, and it hasn't been cleaned up. Been about 10 minutes.
    (I did click "Submit changes" and "Enable" when I changed the settings.)
    I've tried saving and reloading, to no avail. I don't know whether it runs on some kind of schedule and I just have to wait longer? Is there a way to force it to run so I can confidently test settings changes?

Edit: I left-click drilled a hole next to one of the existing ones, cleared out all the floating objects, and still nothing has been cleaned up. It's been nearly 10 minutes since I drilled that latest hole. I've also modified the voxel cleanup settings to 0 minutes, 100m from nearest grid. Nothing cleaned up. I have no idea why it's not working.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It sounds like a bad case of greebles to me.

4. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure what greebles have to do with the cleanup settings? Care to explain?

5. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It was my poor attempt at some humor. It failed. I'm going away now... :(

6. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

Oh, sorry. :( I'm pretty frustrated about the voxel cleanup not working, I'm trying to sort out some _major_ problems with a dedicated server I'm involved in, so I'll admit I'm not in much of a state to detect humour. :shrug:

7. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I think the default trash removal works well for me.
    Just watch out if you're using Torch app for the server. The cleanup/despawning on it is really aggressive. If you leave your ship out of power it may randomly get removed.

8. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

I figured out why it wasn't working for me.

"1" in "distance from player" is preventing cleanup for holes ~60m away from me. I suspect there's some kind of "regions" thing going on. Anyway, changing it to "0" takes player position out of the picture (for better or worse.)

Also, the distance from grid is... weird. A hole 1200m from the only grid in the game wasn't being cleaned up with "distance to grid" set to "1000". I changed it to "100" and that hole got cleaned up, but a hole 1050m from the grid wasn't cleaned up. I changed the setting to "10" and it cleaned up holes 220m and more away, but the hole at 110m wasn't cleaned up. Soooo... don't take the "(m)" there to mean anything particularly useful at scales less than tens of kms probably.

Edit: Some experimentation seems to hint there may be 2x2x2km regions that voxel cleanup happens in, or doesn't, and that a grid in that cube will prevent any voxel cleanup anywhere in that cube, regardless of how low the "distance from grid" setting is. Would be great to get some confirmation (or documentation? ha ha ha) about how these settings work, from the devs.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  9. Atophy Trainee Engineer

As far as what I tested with voxel cleanup, the distance from player or grid bit is borked. It usually worked if I kicked it down to 0 from grid or player but of course, it would fill in an underground base, trap people underground etc in that case.

10. Derek Lewis Trainee Engineer

It really feels to me like there's some kind of underlying grid-of-regions based system, and whichever region a grid lies in won't be reset if "distance to grid" is greater than 0.

11. Atophy Trainee Engineer

Sounds like a chunk system, not unlike minecraft.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.