Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Autonomous Satellite to Orbit

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by Neotician, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Neotician Apprentice Engineer

I made a 3 stage rocket that could go to orbit, a couple of weeks ago. Really simple, just increased max speed and gravity range + thrusters and a gyroscope.

It really got me interested in more conventional launch systems in SE, so i made this!
    [​IMG]
    It's a 3 stage rocket with a satellite payload, it's run by a programmable block that will take it out of the atmosphere on a specific arc, stage, do a burn, coast to apoapsis, circularize, release fairings and finally deploy the satellite.
    [​IMG]
    The satellite will then orient itself towards the planet at all time (and orient solar panels towards the sun), and will connect to the launch site via a Laser Antenna allowing one to look through the sattelites camera from the planets surface.

Video of an observed launch, and a fully unattended one:

The project has been really interesting to me, one of the things i learned is that physics and programmable control seem to work just fine even with an object moving at 800+ m/s more than a hundred kilometers from the player.

On a suggestion from the previous post, i'm thinking of attempting self-landing first-stage next :)

Link to the save file, keep in mind that max speed for small crafts has to be set to at least 900 m/s for this to work.
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1681193220

• Like Like x 2
  2. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

I am enjoying these automations in your vessels! Run so fine!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.