Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Auto's Creations

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by AutoMcD, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

I think so, but it's not a game changer. What do you think?

2. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

It does look burlier.. might but a truck style brow on the cockpit too if I go this route.
    I did some test mining.. went pretty smooth. I really like how this is turning out. :)
    --- Automerge ---
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=801103187
    Friends-only test release. Feel free to add me on steam if you want to but it's not quite ready for the masses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Hey man, good to see you're back!

I can't download the ship to test it out - steam says the link has been deleted.

4. Wicorel Senior Engineer

That means you're not on his friends list.. It's currently published as friends-only.

5. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Except....we are friends on Steam. The plot thickens :stare:

6. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I'll see what I can do to get you on board. Wico already gave me some good feedback so it definitely needs changes.
    I've noticed that going public too early is a good way to make a bad impression and have a flop..

7. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

Custom Wicorel script up and running.. this ship turning into something amazing.
    There's a few things I'm hoping Keen fixes this week, so after the update I will get this released for the weekend!
    Still time to take a sneak peek and get feedback worked in if we are friends on steam.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

9. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

10. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Definitely needs a version between the LT and the baseline version that has arcs instead of the assembler spam.

11. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

13. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 2
  14. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Updated Techniker.
    -Now it's 100% stock (corner lcd and lights swapped with the new vanilla parts)
    -Fixed conveyor issue to some reactors, 2 on the roof have expose ports for jump starting.
    -Added Merge blocks to bottom, and to tool arms.
    -Tool arms have self projectors, and build to the merge blocks. (survival build easier)
    Now just detach from merge and attach to rotor. Make sure rotor is in correct position first! And definitely save the game before joining grids, always.
    -Rangefinder busted w Keen update. And the LCD manual. We'll get it sorted soon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    --- Automerge ---
    Also, a teaser for the "Stereolith Research Facility"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Techniker doing some precision drilling in my survival world:

[​IMG]

I made a couple of modifications, namely deleting the repair welder on the drills and adding a 5th drill. I think I will also rip out the rear deck and turn it into a proper, blast proof landing deck for small grids.

• Like Like x 3
  16. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I love seeing this!

Can you finish LCD's without crash now after the update?
    Let me know how it works out. And also be careful of making the deck too thick, wouldn't want the arms hitting when tucked away. I've been using the wings and landing gear for parking crafts. :)

17. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

LCDs in general seem fine now, I haven't updated the BP yet or welded the new versions in yet. I used her to grab about 10 mil kg of ore and so she's been sitting idle at base for the past few days worth of gaming while I deal with my seriously under developed base.

The fact that you can flood a huge refinery stack (I have 24 of them going) with a mere 5 drill ship and a fairly modest amount of time is a major issue. And cargo ships are so easy to grab that you can drown yourself in comps far faster than you could ever hope to build.

The merge block system for welding the arms is a nice addition too so that you don't have to mess around with those temporary armor attachments.

Sadly I was too far developed to really make use of the script managed assemblers but I think this would be very handy if she was the first or second large ship that you built in survival.

18. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  19. fritozy101 Apprentice Engineer

Good to see you back, and checking out the new stuffs!

20. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

PSA: Techniker will explode if you try to jump her without the rotors safety locked.

Multi-grid jumping in general seems pretty crappy in this new "Beta".

21. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Good to know!

So, the state of the Mud Bee is in flux. I just increased batteries to 3, but am going to go back to 2 and use the space for an oxygen generator because drilling some ice is a lot easier than fussing with bottles. Ive been testing on Mars so the oxygen is a bit of an issue.
    Also I feel like the atmo engines are weaker, maybe that battery is so heavy? I crash into things when it's loaded up. So I'm thinking more brakes and side thrust, less forward thrust. I think I could cut back on upwards thrust just a hair. So it'll get a little bit wider but just 1 block each side. Will still be able to spin around in the hole it dug. Overall it's doing very well, my best atmo mining experience to date.

If you have opinions about any of these decisions, now is the time!
    --- Automerge ---
    Updated.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=817387014

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. Howitz Junior Engineer

thats a nice little minning vessel you have there, do you have a drone version. also have you ever tried to make a very small large ship grid minning vessel

also i wonder if it would work to attach a large grid drill to a small grid minning ship. that could do an interesting design.

• Like Like x 1
  23. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

ANOTHER update.. decided it needed the third battery after all. And I didn't want to dump the O2 gen.. it's a tight fit!

Howitz,
    I think it would be possible to replicate this ship in large grid parts! Putting large grid drill on small ship seems like a horrible idea, they are very heavy and would need large engines, with large power to support.. the majority of this thing's cargo is in the drill itself.

That said, one haul from the small grid ship will keep a pile of refineries busy for a while, so I'm skeptical of the need for such a thing. I'm also an awful pilot who crashes into things all the time, even with the readouts it happens. Small grid is less liability..

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

Large grid full bore, dedicated miners actually don't make much sense anymore between the elimination of ore floaters, changes in ore yield per voxel, cargo mass and volume of culled voxels per drilling pulse.

Also, with only a few large grid drills you can totally flood refineries for days of in-game time.

25. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

You must find your inner industrialist, if you wish to achieve galactic domination.

26. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

• Like Like x 1
  27. tankmayvin Senior Engineer

If you keep piling up refineries and ore, your stuff just gets too fat to move. I'm definitely guilty of block spamming, but after about 30 of the things I start to zone out. I have thousands and thousands of ingots of every type. Gotta actually start doing something with those resources instead of just hoarding them.

28. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I agree. It makes a case for a large refinery station of some sort instead of a ship. I started such a project if you scroll back, it was called "Bastion" and I never finished it. I like the concept of it having a solar side, but then modules for refineries came out which outdated the actual build.

I feel like such endgame things are maybe outside the scope of what I should be providing, let people be creative.

Anyways. Sabrina updated again, Wico worked on the airlock script and I worked on the airlock blocks. It all should be a much better airlock experience. :)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Commander Quail Trainee Engineer

I really love the mudbee driller, it looks super practical while still having your pretty style. But I am not a fan of using blueprints as my main ships because I like developing and building way too much, so I will probably reverse engineer the mudbee and make my own awkward version of it.

One idea I had with atmos ships are rotor based thrusters that can change forward movement to vertical thrust. I would try making some fowards and backwards thrusters rotor mounted so they can be angled to become vertical thrusters after you filled your cargo with heavy ore and don't really need the agility, but brute lift. You would need to use a thruster management script for that through.

30. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

Thanks! I know the feeling, but it's fun to use ships that I think are good also. I haven't been much for warships so when the need arises I usually use one of the Hyperion ones.
    Mashing together concepts you like can be a source of inspiration.

There's a few VTOL examples on the workshop, along with the scripts to fly them. Also a "helicopter" type script which lets you use nothing but upwards thrust and it automatically tilts to control movement.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.