Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

autosave problem (lag spike) in dedicated server setup

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by bigbangnet, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. bigbangnet Apprentice Engineer

I got this hp z600 with 5360x cpu's and 24gb of ram in it. When I run my dedicated SE server on it, each time it saves the world each 5 minutes, the client lags for a very brief moment. Is there any way to disable that autosave ? I checked on the options in the dedicated server UI and I can't see none. I can only enter numbers in minutes but not disable it.

2. InSpades Trainee Engineer

Change the autosave to 60 or 120 minutes.

3. Roxette Junior Engineer

No, just don't. Please. Long autosave intervals are hell for the players, if the server crashes or gets an auto-restart that's badly configured (as it is on the majority of game server hosts :( ) - then the players will lose all the work they did since the last save.

4. InSpades Trainee Engineer

bigbang wants to eliminate it entirely. My suggestion is to push it further back. If my server was saving every 5 minutes it would make things near unplayable as over 350 MB is being written to the drive with every save.

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Space Engineers is contained completely in RAM when it comes to the server. If you're saving to a hard disk and the disk has spun down, then there will be lag there. SSDs help, but you're still saving some really big files. If you have enough RAM, a RAM disk makes a lot of sense. The gamesaves can be held on the ram disk and you can periodically back up the ram disk every hour or so. The only major problem would be a power outage and the loss of several minutes of gameplay. Considering that power outages and complete blue-screens are very rare now, I would use a RAM disk.

Many motherboard manufacturers offer RAM disks as part of their own bios. I know ASROCK does. Windows 10 Home supports 32GB of RAM and Windows 7 supports 16GB. Dedicated 4GB or 8GB to a RAM disk would mean instant saves as the information just has to be copied in RAM. I believe the backup of the RAM disk is a trickle rather than a major push.

You can always use 3rd party RAM disks if your MOBO doesn't support it directly.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.