Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Away with speed limits, how about variable speeds?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by desolateworld, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. desolateworld Trainee Engineer

We all know the speed limit of Space Engineers can be slow and annoying, but I've had a great idea. What if the game's speed limit was only limited to how powerful your ship's thrusting power is? This can make fast ships actually fast, and slow ships actually slow. Sure, the jetpack needs to have the speed limit of 100m/s for balancing and safety reasons. I have a ship that is big, heavy, and slow. In my mind, that ship's top speed might be about 100 m/s. I, on the other hand, have a ship that can go to 100 m/s in a few seconds. In my mind, that ship should be able to get up to 300 m/s. However, no matter the acceleration, the ships are all limited to exactly 100 m/s. If you think crashing the ships into planets may cause issues, you could make ships in atmosphere slower then they would be in space.

2. sioxernic Senior Engineer

@desolateworld
    The problem with speed limits is not that you need more thrust or they did it for game balance... They did it because the physics engine at higher speeds will "phase" through other blocks simply because it is going to fast.

I am a bit to tired to explain the mechanics but @Malware has usually been really nice to explain it.

3. Elfi Wolfe Apprentice Engineer

Physic Engine Limit.
    You can put in a mod. But expect odd things to happen.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.