Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Balloons

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by CarloNord, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. CarloNord Trainee Engineer

Now, since the game is in early access and roughly on par or behind SE in terms of development, I'm not sure what we can really assume will be in the game. This is only magnified be the whole attachment/pulley/mechanical system stuff, fragmented destruction, and compound blocks (YESSS).

We all know that the modding community is going to rip and tear into this game as well and probably give us the ability to completely change the type of game, and seeing that in SE there's bloody warp drive mods, the sky's the limit.

Now, besides the threads already talking about crossbows and boats and such, I didn't notice anyone mention something along the lines of airships/hot air balloons. The only thing that came close were gliders of sorts, but that's not what I was thinking about. It all comes down to how realistic they want this game to be, since these kinds of things were feasible, but we all know they didn't exist.

This idea comes from a number of ideas in my head, from walking castles to fortress boats, maybe even hand-cranked cars. Clearly there's going to be some very absurd designs, so why not add balloon blocks for airborne craft while they're at it!

Think about it, having to keep enough fires going to generate the hot air, stokers to gain altitude, bring rocks along and make it a bomber. Heck, why not load it with materials and/or food supplies and live as a nomad/trader. Of course flying castles would be a bit more silly than this game is going for (leave that to the modders), but come on, you've gotta admit this it cool.

2. ThaPear Trainee Engineer

As you've remarked, manned hot air balloons didn't exist in the game's age, in fact, they didn't exist before 1783.
    I do not think they'd 'fit' in this game and I do not believe the gameplay would be improved if a hostile player could just float over your huge fortress' walls.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  3. Ash87 Senior Engineer

This. It's outside the era the game is set, and a Bomber isn't really necessary, for what it could potentially do to the balance of the game.

4. mhalpern Senior Engineer

Yeah as others have said, it's outside the game set, and it would be an OP delivery system, the power of any weapon is rated on its destructive force, and the nature of the delivery system, a nuke is useless if you can't get it out of your territory, similarly a rock is extremely powerful if you can get it to enemy territory without enemy resistance.

5. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

Hot air baloons wasn't impossible in the times that game sets in, they just hasn't been invented yet (And let's face it, players will build such things all the time). The bomber potential is not going to be an issue, I think. Air baloons are fragile things and they can barely lift a human with a few rocks for counterbalance. This is not exactly efficient bomber - it is ridiculously slow (basically, it is at the mercy of air currents), it can be bringed down by handful of arrows, and it have almost zero cargo capacity. Is it good for scouting? Yes. Is it good for siege or attack? Well, if you are reeeeeeallyyyyy patient, and your opponent is going to just sit in his castle doing nothing...

In short, I'm in on this. Plus, if we will have hot baloons, it would be easier to mod in steampunk airships later)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2015
  6. cedi Apprentice Engineer

With what would you heat the air? What would generate the buoyancy?

Hydrogen was discovered in the early 17th century, Helium in the late 19th century and propane was first used even later. There is no way you could build a balloon with the technology available between 500-1500.

7. Mishka Junior Engineer

Hot air balloon does not have to be Hydrogen or helium its purely hot air

8. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Hence the name
    Hot air is 'lighter' per liter than cold air, thus if you have a large enough balloon with enough hot air, it should start going up.

9. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Which isn't what he said at all. Cedi please forgive me for saying everything you just said.............

He's going though the things that make balloons or airships work.

First he made it clear he can't see how you heat the air to have a hot air ship and asks how you would make it go up.

Then he rules out two other ways that he knows how to make a balloon float.

10. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

Well, first air baloons was heated by simple burning stuff. Wiki doesn't help on that matter, it mentions that they used something to burn as fuel, but doesn't elaborate on what it was.
    But judging by the picture of the first flight, first air baloons doesn't even had onboard fires, and were pumped with hot air by the furnaces.

Upd: yes, found it, wiki does say that they burned coal:

11. TheAquaticSeal Trainee Engineer

I would rather not have that for an rpg server. Add the basics and leave the rest to modders.

12. cedi Apprentice Engineer

@darth_biomech: Hmm I wonder for how long pre heated air would keep you aloft, especially once you reach a certain height. Also, the only control such a balloon would have is the ability to descend at will.

13. Dr. Krunch Apprentice Engineer

Hot-air balloons would be nice, but you would then need a way to get them to move for them to be even remotely useful. Either a system of air currents (which seems like it would hit performance somewhat), propellers (odd-looking and out of era), sails (maybe from ships), or blowing hot air out from the balloon (also needs air simulation). This would have to be resolved before balloons would be useful.

14. HexZyle Trainee Engineer

It wouldn't, actually. It would be as simple as cutting the map, from a top-down view, into a grid made of 50x50m squares. Each of these would then be assigned a wind direction and speed, making sure that adjacent squares have relatively similar directions and speeds. A mapwide pass could be made every couple minutes, randomly changing the direction or speed of all tiles by a fixed amount.

It sounds complex, but the computing power required to uphold this is absolutely miniscule compared to the power that goes into smashing a rock into a wall.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.