Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Banner Design Contest

Discussion in 'General' started by Drui, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Drui Keen Update Guy Staff

Welcome to the Medieval Engineers banner contest! Current Medieval Engineers banners are blue/white or red/white, and we’d like to see many more designs in the game. That means we need your help! Submit your banner designs to our contest for a chance to see your banner design elements implemented in the vanilla game.

Here are the basic terms:
    Submit a banner design to Keen Software House from August 30 to September 13 at 10am Prague time. Medieval Engineers Producer Tim Toxopeus will choose the winner, who will have his/her banner elements included in the Medieval Engineers vanilla game. The winner will be revealed in the weekly update video after the contest closes.
    1. Submit one or more banner designs to Keen Software House from August 30 to September 13 at 10am Prague time. Medieval Engineers Producer Tim Toxopeus will choose the winner, who will have his/her banner elements included in the Medieval Engineers vanilla game. The winner will be revealed in the weekly update video after the contest closes.
    2. You must submit each image in PNG format, and entries must be 512 x 512 pixels.
    3. You must submit your entries in this forum thread
    4. Your entries must have a Medieval theme!
    5. An entry must include:
      1. Pattern layer image
      2. Symbol layer image
      3. Final banner design with all elements combined and background color chosen
    6. By entering the contest, you agree to follow all rules of the contest. If you don't submit according to the rules, we can disqualify you.
    7. All entries to the contest become the property of Keen Software House. This means we have the right to use and modify your entries in our game, on social media, on our websites, etc.
    8. We reserve the right to modify, cancel, or postpone the contest for any reason.
    See the full list of terms and conditions: http://www.medievalengineers.com/medieval-engineers-banner-contest-rules/
    We have attached two example images, one pattern and one symbol. The images clearly illustrate how we use the system. The image you want to show is white, with alpha masking used to hide the parts that aren't displayed. Pixels must be either fully black (RGB 0, 0, 0) or fully white (RGB 255, 255, 255).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

and then i said, lets grab my drawing tablet and see what i can do for this in lets say... 10 minutes :D

3. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Love banners! I'm not really a good artist but I'll try my best.

4. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

ok 10 mins aint gonna work :(

5. OmEgA_StOrM Apprentice Engineer

It would be nice to see a list of the official Patterns and Symbols so we don't duplicate them

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

well.... i give up on photoshop and illustrator for a while :woot: my laptop is near crashing every 3 to 5 strokes i do in either program :woot:
    so ill think about not participating even tho i really want to D:

7. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

There is no official list of patterns and symbols yet, we're still in the process of deciding our list too. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

Paint master appears

9. Valgarr Trainee Engineer

Banner Design Contest

All of the images are in 512x512 just as requested

Main banner:
    [​IMG]

background pattern and symbol used to make the banner:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I still don't understand the thing with the white pictures. Could anyone explain, please?

11. jetstream01 Apprentice Engineer

Quick question: can the pattern layer use a gradient?

12. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Of course, many medieval banners was with gradient symbols, or symbols turned head down on them. Same for layer with pattern. Update video have too gradient pattern on banner.

Question: There is no limit how many banners we can creat and upload ?

13. Deepflame Apprentice Engineer

Yep. I just double-checked it to verify, gradients work.

Nope, feel free to submit multiple banners. :)

14. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

those white things, are masks, they can use that to "hide" surrounding things. meaning when you select an symbol ingame, the mask of that icon gets used, so the collour only gets showed on those white areas. so the background is still visible. this allows players to use complete custom RGB collours, without keen having to make an image for every single possible rgb combination. also, they can use those alpha masks to let you select a custom position. but let me stop here, before i start to confuse myself.

15. Silen Apprentice Engineer

In other words, I just have to create a completely white layer on top of my images?

16. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

kinda like that yeh.... are you using photoshop or paint? with paint you cant use layers, so itll be near impossible to do with paint. photoshop would be best, or some similair freeware program that allows the use of layers.

17. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I use photoshop. Create new layer -> Put it on top of the others -> Paint white. Correct?

18. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

You can use paint.net or gimp to create layers. (Paint.net is easy to handle)

19. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

well... create new layer > create clipping mask. basicly same thing as alpha mask. itll make you unable to go outside lines above it. thats how i always do it...
    --- Automerge ---
    that for sure.

20. Silen Apprentice Engineer

So I make a layer with my drawn image, and then on top of it I create a clipping layer, right? And by the way, can't find the button to create clipping layer.

21. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

its on the right click thingy

22. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Uhm no "create clipping layer" when I right click on the layer box. Perhaps I have to create a layer, then right click on the layer and select "create clipping mask"? If I do that, though, nothing happens.

23. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

im starting to confuse myself atm.... sorry.... and im starting to doubt myself as well :woot: just start drawing a symbol in white. then you make a new layer, and right click that layer and do clipping mask.... then you should basicly be able to make use of that alpha mask... gdamnit it was so easy D:

24. OmEgA_StOrM Apprentice Engineer

Hi,
    I created a designe for the Banner Design Contest but I don't know how I can upload Pictures to this page. If somebody knows how to do it it would be nice if you could Reply to this post. Thx :D

25. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

You'll need to find an image host (like photobucket, imageshack, whatever else). then you upload it there and copy the link it gives you to the forum here.

• Informative Informative x 1
  26. OmEgA_StOrM Apprentice Engineer

Banner Design Contest

I tried to keep the pattern and Symbol layer simple so that it is easy to Combine it with other layers.

I hope you like it :D

All Images are 512x512

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

here goes nothing
    also i'm too stoopid to post these things corectly
    512x512
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. XCanG Trainee Engineer

@Drui can I just post patterns, for example? Right now I think what I need in patterns into a game, but nothing about symbol right now.
    My patterns: http://hnng.moe/f/Gqn, http://hnng.moe/f/Gqo, http://hnng.moe/f/Gqp. Also, do I need make smooth for borders? I can do it, but you don't say about it (you say need only white or transparent).
    Also for modders, I make this small help to determine where is border of flags, this is it:
    [​IMG] at central you may see tiny flags with ^-like and v-like bottom side

P.S. For Chrome I recommend use this addon for seen white images with transparent: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...cpejamelebpigblebnbabhndaaffjok/related?hl=en it add tile transparent pattern, so you may see transparency. (For Firefox no need any addon)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  29. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Hello!
    Here's a banner I created yesterday, colors are a personal choice of mine, I also decided to leave the symbols white as a personal preference. I hope I did the alpha masking right with the symbols and patterns. Furthermore, is it possible to make multiple banners?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

• Hello evryone, today i present to you my first creation, I hope you enjoy !
    • 512x512 final banner , [​IMG]
    • 512x512 Pattern , [​IMG]
    • 400x400 symbol. [​IMG]
    • I think I have all of the elements if i miss one tell me below thanks. :woot:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.