Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Banner Design Contest

Discussion in 'General' started by Drui, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

my second one
    512 X 512
    Banner:
    [​IMG]
    pattern:
    [​IMG]
    symbol:
    [​IMG]
    hope they wont remove this ladders

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Cetric Junior Engineer

So why not add a laptop or a wristwatch?
    Seriously, it was Drui who asked for medieval-related motives in the very first post.

3. Thiago Trainee Engineer

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Talltree House

• Like Like x 2
  4. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

Hi guys yes there is no water in ME ... but we can imagine a Viking clan invades the plains to loot its wealth, so this explain the appearance of boats to look medieval on banners ! But on the other hand, the boat anchor is certe not very realistic. Here I just wanted to find a compremis between your arguments ^^

5. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Well... Frostik did use globe on his banner too, despite the fact that in medieval times evryone did believe world is flat... so... let decision on Tim Toxopeus and focus on banner creating ? :tu:

( just for info: Atlas was suppose hold sky not globe, so when some one ask you what Atlas hold, say SKY )

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Horse?
    Hope its ok.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

Yes you see this like me and it's true ^^

• Like Like x 1
  8. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

you need separate background and pattern to make clear what is what also as i understood there must be 3 colors max ( you have 4: blue red white and black )

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

I can turn the black in the horse to alpha, these are made on transparent backgrounds, does that work?, Imgur shows as black

10. Cetric Junior Engineer

I did not criticize the appearance of a boat or an anchor at all, just their shapes are clearly modern age. That is all, and thus sort of impeding immersion. I suppose we should be after some sort of authentic looks, aren't we? If not, then we could also implement plastic as building material into the medieval world. :p

11. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

yes that is true ^^ but good job silent because you present a banner.:pbjt:

12. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Please remember "THREE" colors max!
    clear background-> one color
    Pattern-> one color
    Symbol->one color

(black and white counts exceptionally as a colour)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  13. AdmiralEnto Trainee Engineer

Here is a simple medieval banner. Hope you like it!
    [​IMG]
    Pattern Layer
    [​IMG]
    Symbol Layer (white so difficult to see)
    [​IMG]

14. RayvenQ Moderator

You need your pattern layerto match your symbol layer (white& transparant)

15. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

for me, I can't see the banner of AdmiralEnto in 512x512 :/ but i see this [​IMG] I think this will help you ! ^^

16. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Have you ever read Aristotle?
    Btw my banner is in 2D. I don´t see a spherical planet and the banner was based on the upcoming planets in ME. Don´t take this one too serious;-)

17. protokore Trainee Engineer

beau boulot,j'aime bien,dommage que le v noir ne touche pas le bas,bien axé,il y aurait la meme quantité de fleur de lys en haut et en bas,je like
    : )

18. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

I did just try say: its pointless argue what is medieval and what is not. We just come creat banners, other will judge it. :) i did use your banner like example because you can say: flat and its correct and who say sphere is correct too.

Yes i did read about him and Phytagoras who did tought about it before him, so dont forget long afther him and his theoryes come church and tryed destroy almost all old knowled/theoryes that they didnt like and tryed make from normal people bainless herd of sheeps they can easy control once more :). Result... some countrys did believe in flat earth until 17 century and its not joke ( some was not christian to be fair )

I didnt want criticize you banner at all. If i did take it serious i could coment it like: There was no map looking like yours in medieval times on first place. ( 2D/3D dasnt meter, when you have S+N america on it :D )

19. MichaelC Junior Engineer

In your guys' designs you may want to consider something

[​IMG]

see how the non square banners simply cut off the edges and make a cut into the bottom. So you MAY want to consider avoiding any patterns and logos that stray too far from the edges or risk having them cut off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

that doesn't mean they wont edit it . on official ME side they said they have rights to edit it but still this will count as your banner idea

21. Nezortek Trainee Engineer

yes I think the same thing. If they cut the banners so the symbols, I think it will remain recognizable ^^ but yes it's a little problem.

22. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

but maybe they'll extend background and pattern / make symbol smaller without cutting important parts of banners

23. MichaelC Junior Engineer

maybe.. i wouldnt count on it though

24. José Paulo (FaD) Trainee Engineer

My Entry for the Constest:
    The deer symbol was created by drawing a vector around an in-game screenshot, I hope there's no problem with this.

Example Combination:
    [​IMG]
    Pattern (Uses a gradient from (255,255,255,255) to (255,255,255,0)):
    [​IMG]
    Symbol:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Sorry :-D

26. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Well, you are in fact right, I could have replaced them with some more medieval stuff but those symbols were a bit more personal for me, in real life stuff, so I just decided to put them in. Regardless I believe there are more than 3 colors which means I'll have to create a whole new and more simple banner with only 3 colors, so again it doesn't really matter.
    Thank you for pointing that out in the first place. ^^

27. Thiago Trainee Engineer

A Crowned Mountain. I Always have built castles in the top of mountains, so that its a good banner to who want to be respected as a Lord of High Lands.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  28. Cetric Junior Engineer

If you take anything looking like a viking boat, it should be pretty authentic, remembering that the boats on tapestry of Bayeux also look like viking raider boats, if even William came over from Normandy in 1066. The sometime later pictured hulk ship is rather clumsy to look at, but should be appropriate if you think of a merchant vessel.
    Concerning the anchor, I am afraid there was nothing pictoresque at the time. They dumped just stones or iron bars connected with ropes to anchor a ship. Also don't switch to a 'steering wheel' as it is also a post-medieval invention. They had just rudder pins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Those platforms were first mounted makeshift-wise on bow and stern and later developed into casteles fully with the hull integrated.

For your mediterranean region galleys should be fine, too. As they were in constant use from antiquity up to the 1700's, modified over time of course.

29. Silen Apprentice Engineer

I didn't really study the technical parts of historical ships yet even though I'm in the field, although I knew the most common stuff as the anchor and the steering, regardless you provided some good information, so thank you once again. ^^

30. Shudrix Trainee Engineer

@Cetric's third image is like:
    when you use smal ship to sneak on enemy destroyer and trying to find reactor

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.