Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Barbarian Encampments

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Doom_Juan, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Doom_Juan Trainee Engineer

Barbarian encampments, scattered around the world guarding important areas (i.e. Iron ore) that the play must defeat.

Random barbarians is just a fly-like annoyance at the moment - make them spawn from encampments that the player has to defeat in order to "clear" the area.

Possibly ideas for future: barbarians reflecting the respective culture of each biome (Africa, Arab, European, etc).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mirek Apprentice Engineer

NIce ideas, barbarians could roam the area around the sqare where the encampment is, and when the encampment is destroied, there could be no barbarians in the area. Also sometimes barbarian or two could leave the camp to find area with no ocupied sqares and set a camp there, wich would spawn new barbarians. Camps should level up, so first there would be just few bandits and some tents in the camp and no roamers, and in the top level, there should be a "bandit knight" keep full of soldiers and roaming patrolls around and highwaymen on roads if roads are in he area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

Oh, I would gladly fight some Nords for their steel :D
    Or raid an imperial camp for their gold and horses :p
    This game would be soooo great with 10 times more life. I mean, I can still spend tens of hours a week, but I want to spend hundreds a month :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pigeon Trainee Engineer

Maybe should also make different levels of barbarians, like their is bandits and bandit camps that may occupy roads pre-genned and player made to barbarians in camps harassing nearby settlements and players and finally raiders/invaders or something that represent more organized forces with castles and such. Wouldn't like a level idea really, makes it like Factorio where you have to go out and hunt down near by nests before the critters spawning from them evolve and such. Evolving foes put more pressure on fighting and destroying enemies rather then focusing on building a castle and engineering which should be the main focus of the game.

5. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

We shouldn't infuse Medieval Engineers with cultural references.

It's a game for the creative mind, so that your mind can think of the pieces in your own imagination. For that reason, the pieces should strive for a generic feel to them that could fit wherever your imagination takes you, not the other way around. They should strive to be as generic as possible while still maintaining a more functional look than say a generic Minecraft block. NPCs, however they end up being used in game mechanics should also retain a generic aspect for the same purpose - the purpose of immersion into the player's own created world/area narrative.

Right now, a stone wall and keep can be a Roman fort, an Arthurian castle or a Renaissance piece - you can take it wherever your imagination lets you.

We should avoid direct parallels and stereotypes as much as we can.

With that said, encampments is not a bad idea though I would prefer them to add town life first. We do spend a lot more time in our created settlements, and those are the ones that feel the most empty right now. (Are the most empty.) At least the forests have deer. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.